Windows 10: moving user file

Discus and support moving user file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just Bought a new laptop that have both a ssd and hdd storage, and I what all my user data saved and sent to the hdd storage not the ssd one. Do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by A Nobody, Nov 3, 2021.

1. A Nobody Win User

moving user file

I just Bought a new laptop that have both a ssd and hdd storage, and I what all my user data saved and sent to the hdd storage not the ssd one. Do I just cut and paste the "user" folder in the ssd to the hdd or will that break something?

:)

A Nobody, Nov 3, 2021

2. How to move files

We understand that all your files are important. You can move your files by following the steps below:

• Change to Administrator your user account to access all the folders and files on your computer.
      • On your keyboard, press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
      • Under User Accounts, click Change account.
      • Click the user account you want to use.
      • Click Change the account type.
      • Select Administrator and click Change Account Type.
    • On your keyboard, press Windows key + E then click This PC and click
      Local Disk (Cmoving user file :)
    • Click Users and the names of your user profile will show. Select the user account you want to copy the files from.
    • Right-click and click copy.
    • After that, go to the user account you want to move your file, right-click and click Paste. Repeat the steps as needed.

Keep us posted.

Marielle Cas, Nov 5, 2021
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Nov 5, 2021
  4. deving Win User

moving user file

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Nov 5, 2021
Thema:

moving user file

1. moving user file - Similar Threads - moving user file

2. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  3. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  4. Moving user folder

Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  5. Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?

Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?: Howdy! can you move all the installed programs, documents and other files from one Windows 10 user account to another or other? I was banned from my main account at Microsoft and can't play a game online so I made a second user and created a new Microsoft account where I can...
  6. Move pagefile and hybernation file to SSD, willing to move OS, but not users and program...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move pagefile and hybernation file to SSD, willing to move OS, but not users and program...: I have a laptop with an msata ssd. It is small, and my system drive is large. I have a lot of memory in my computer. it takes a long time for it to hibernate. it's an older workstation class laptop I have a lot of programs and data already installed on the C drive, and it...
  7. Moving User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving User Folders: I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I doing something with in my relocate.xml file? I would like to have my profiles drive; D:\Alowicious D:\Cinderella...
  8. Moving User Files--Windows 10 1809

Moving User Files--Windows 10 1809: Hi All True or False--Is just setting the default user folders to secondary drive manually after Windows 10 is installed, is that not a good thing to do with an SSD Drive, specificially laptop drive that is 128gb m.2, and Desktop SSD drive that is 250gb. Now if i have D...
  9. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...
  10. Moving files from Users

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files from Users: Hello! I found that I had a lot of duplication on my pc. I had pictures under Windows/Users and the same under Our Photos (D*Smile I moved the pictures under Windows/Users to the Our Photos (D*Smile I now find in File Explorer I have D:/ and Our Photos (D*Smile Can I...