Windows 10: Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method

Discus and support Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to reinstall Win10 as I keep getting BSOD since the recent update, but want to replicate my current document library heirarchy which is saved on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by larrens, Jul 14, 2021.

1. larrens Win User

Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method

I need to reinstall Win10 as I keep getting BSOD since the recent update, but want to replicate my current document library heirarchy which is saved on the HDD. SSD contains OS, plus c:\users\UserABC > (Folder: Documents)HDD d:\users\UserABC > (Folders: Desktop; Downloads; Music; Pictures; Videos) I dont want to format the D: drive, but simply reinstall Win on C: and then have the user folders (Desktop; Downloads; Music; Pictures; Videos) point to the existing ones on D: I.e. When I look at Libraries, I want to see all the folders and when copying files to them, the files will save to the appropriate drive. What is the best way to do this? I think when I initially set this up, there was a complex process done in audit mode / create an unattended answer file while Windows was being installed. (which I think was a tutorial on this site) I found this link will this achieve a similar outcome or is there a better approach? Move your Windows 10 libraries to a separate drive or partition | PCWorld Thanks (Win ver 21H1)

:)

larrens, Jul 14, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

3. NiccyT_86 Win User
    Moving User folder from SSD to HDD

Hi,

I'm trying to move my User folder from the SSD to the HDD but when I open the folder properties to do it, the "location" tab isn't present.

Is there an easy fix for this?

TIA

NiccyT_86, Jul 14, 2021
  4. Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

I'm quite familiar with your semantics that you have suggested at above. I am sorry for not being able to clarify it for you. I am one of those who cannot move the User folders by Utilizing your Method One and Two. I know how to USE CMD and its syntax requirements quite well. This is my last attempt and I won't try this again!

SUMMARY:
    1) Method I or Method II did not work for me. Due to Lenovo hard coded + pre-installed customizations.
    2) I did not make any ERRORs using your methods, I Debugged it several times!
    3) I was able to move Only local system activated Administrator folder - AND not as a WHOLE.
    4) Since some of the folks here could not make this work due to same or similar problems, I wanted to explain the steps I have taken to make it work. Perhaps, someone could benefit from it.
    5) Since my steps did not relocate for All Users\ADMINISTRATOR files/folders, I had to use the Location properties to manually move most of the folders under LOCAL. Some system folders did not move under the LOCATION folder, However, Manual relocation process worked for All of the LocalLow and Roaming Folders
    6) I wanted to get your opinion about these steps. Perhaps some Pros/Cons, or perhaps you may come up with some suggestions, as my steps are more of a patch work rather then a solid integrated solution! such as your Methods.

Below are these steps:

1- Install Windows 10 from Macrium Image.
    2- Delete all non-System created user profiles and activate the System Local Admin.
    3- Run sysprep.exe with XML file.
    4- Let Windows go through a boot-loop crash.
    5- Re-Install Image from Macrium.
    6- Now User Folder with System Local Administrator is created.
    7- However, Only an empty APPDATA folder and Net User data description file (NTUSER.DAT) reside Inside the Users\Administrator folder,
    8- Manually relocate folders from C:\Users\Administrator\Pictures, Downloads, Contacts,...etc also \Local, LocalLow, Roaming to D:\Users\Administrator\...
    9- Prior to relocating these folders from C:\Users\Administrator\*.* , you will need to manually create empty Folders with the same names in D:\Users\Administrator\....

10- Change ENVIRONMENT variables in CMD for the Local ADMINISTRATOR user profile if needed or as needed. Or run systemPropertiesAdvanced.exe from CMD.

11- Do not move the Windows System sub-folders UNLESS if you can move the ENTIRE Main folder as a whole.
    EXAMPLE: Do NOT move the C:\Users\Administrator\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder itself. You need to move to ENTIRE MICROSOFT folder as a whole.
    HOWEVER, it is better to not mess with these folders. I did not move System Windows and Microsoft folders.

12 - You will need to update Group Policy Settings for the System Administrator. Download and Run Administrative Template (.admx) from Microsoft Windows. This makes it more convenient while modifying the file/folder security settings when needed. For example, in my trials, APPDATA folder Application files/folders did not include the System Administrator Access under the security Settings. You need SYSTEM Administrator access to run the Applications such as Chocolatey, Power Shell scripts, etc. Instead of going into ADVANCED settings under SECURITY and ADDing System Administrator access for each of the folder/file one by one, this will enable the access to all files/folders by default.

13- All of the .EXE files for the downloaded Applications need to be set to Run As Administrator from its properties.

{I did not describe 10-11-12 in my initial posting, as I should have}

All System Applications such as Norton,MalwareBytes, etc. or IntelliJ must be installed to C:\ drive, not to D:\ drive. However, GRADLE, NODES, Chocolatey, Nuget,..etc. types can be downloaded to D:\Users\Administrator\APPDATA\Local

This method is not very convenient as it requires manipulation, however, it works 100% for me.

MY Main Purpose for Relocating these folders/files is the following ;
    I am an Android Application Developer. AND ALL of my Repositories, GRADLE, SDKs, JDKs, NodeJS., GIT, BASH..etc reside under the APPDATA folder. This folder SIZE has exceeded 400 GB. AND the reason I mentioned the above is that; for someone who does not use the APPDATA folder the way I do, these steps might not be worth taking. AND if someone who has the same or similar needs for the capacity for utilizing the APPDATA folder as I do and knows what they are doing, It works 100%. Lastly, this a Risky Method and don't attempt to try it Unless you have Macrium or similar Software. DO not rely on Windows System RESTORE!!!

That's All

redkidbytes, Jul 14, 2021
Thema:

Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method

1. Moving user folders to HDD - what is the best and simplest method - Similar Threads - Moving user folders

2. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  3. What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?: Hello, I will replace my hdd, which contains my users folder, to a ssd, for go faster. What is the best way ( aka not losing my locations folders like users/pictures/documents/etc) to do this ? I was going to do it with a software like easeus todobackup, or aomei...
  4. Moving user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  5. Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD: Hi, I need help cause I´m a little confused. How do I know which of my disks is the HDD and which the SSD. I think thath the Windows (C:) is the SSD and the Data (D:) is the HDD. Is that correct. Well, I have a lot of files on Windows (C:) (sadly just 23 GB are left ), but...
  6. Moving User folder from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving User folder from SSD to HDD: Hi, I'm trying to move my User folder from the SSD to the HDD but when I open the folder properties to do it, the "location" tab isn't present. Is there an easy fix for this? TIA...
  7. Moving User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving User Folders: I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I doing something with in my relocate.xml file? I would like to have my profiles drive; D:\Alowicious D:\Cinderella...
  8. What is the best method of Moving Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best method of Moving Software: I have a New computer with windows installed on a 500 GB M.2 SSD drive. I want to first Partition a new 1 TB M.2. SSD drive and migrate everything to the larger SSD drive. My older Windows 10 Computer has a 1 TB SSD drive C, one 1 TB drive D and 3 2 TB drives E-F and L. Some...
  9. Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs: Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move the Users folder back to the...
  10. TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TH2 pulled, what is the best method to upgrade to 10?: Hey all, So I have a Lenovo x230 laptop sitting here that has W7 Professional installed on it. I just grabbed an 850EVO SSD 250GB for it and I'm guessing I will have to clone W7 to the SSD to activate my W7 Pro license since it will deactivate once I swap out the HDD's?...