Windows 10: Moving User Folders

Discus and support Moving User Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Soapm, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Soapm Win User

Moving User Folders

I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I doing something with in my relocate.xml file?

I would like to have my profiles drive;

D:\Alowicious
    D:\Cinderella
    D:\Expialadocious
    D:\Mickey

Which is how I have them now by manually editing my XP Registry after install. That's the way I've always done it back to Win95 but it's a very time consuming thing to do wroth with pitfalls and potential catastrophic mines.

However, this method only seems to accept;

D:\Users\Alowicious
    D:\Users\Cinderella
    D:\Users\Expialadocious
    D:\Users\Mickey

Am I doing something wrong or is this a fact that Win10 must have the "Users" folder for this method to work?

It's not a show stopper I guess but it's the computer shared by the household and family and I've always had the profile drive set that way and would like to keep it familiar if at all possible.

Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"> <settings pass="oobeSystem"> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <FolderLocations> <ProfilesDirectory>D:\</ProfilesDirectory> </FolderLocations> </component> </settings> <cpiMoving User Folders :eek:fflineImage cpi:source="wimMoving User Folders :D:\sources\install.wim#Windows 10 Home" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> </unattend>[/quote]

:)

Soapm, Feb 28, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

3. Kari Win User
    Moving the USERS folder

Sysprep (Windows System Preparation Tool) is the native built-in Windows tool that does the job in this procedure, getting instructions about what it is expected to do from a script called Answer File.

If you have external storage available for backing up your personal data, the easiest way is to copy your files to external storage.

I edited my previous post, making the list in it numbered. Check that list: In step 1 you can copy your files to external storage instead of making a new partition on your hard disk. In step 7 you can either remove all partitions and create new ones or simply format existing partitions and use them. In step 9 you can copy your personal data from external storage to your new user folders. You can then forget the step 10.

These tutorials are from our sister site the Seven Forums but they apply to Windows 10, too:

4. Moving User Folders

Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Moving User Folders

1. Moving User Folders - Similar Threads - Moving User Folders

2. Moving user's folder in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user's folder in Win 11: This question has been "answered" here beforehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-users-folder-in-win-11/6998b23a-189b-42da-9cdc-afa3deac781a...But that answer doesn't apply to Windows 11, only 10 maybe it did before; if there's one thing Microsoft is...
  3. Moving user's folder in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving user's folder in Win 11: This question has been "answered" here beforehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-users-folder-in-win-11/6998b23a-189b-42da-9cdc-afa3deac781a...But that answer doesn't apply to Windows 11, only 10 maybe it did before; if there's one thing Microsoft is...
  4. accidentally move my music to users folder.

accidentally move my music to users folder.: I accidentally move my music folder to users folder. and make my download folder and my videos folder in same location as my music folder. I insert the pictures of this mistake *sorry for my bad english...
  5. Moving user's folder in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user's folder in Win 11: What is a safe way to move my user's folder from my SSD C: drive to my HDD D: drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-users-folder-in-win-11/6998b23a-189b-42da-9cdc-afa3deac781a
  6. Moving user's folder in Win 11

Moving user's folder in Win 11: What is a safe way to move my user's folder from my SSD C: drive to my HDD D: drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-users-folder-in-win-11/6998b23a-189b-42da-9cdc-afa3deac781a
  7. Library moved to an user folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Library moved to an user folder: So I wanted to move the "Saved games" (here it's Parties enregistrées) library, and I messed up, I applied it to an user folder, and I can't change it's location angain. My restoration point isn't working, and any bat file that "reset" that library arent working . Any ideas ?...
  8. Moving user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  9. Moving user folder to new Drive

Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  10. Moved Downloads Folder into User

Moved Downloads Folder into User: Hey, basically I messed up and accidentally moved my downloads folder from my C drive as my user folder. I was trying to move my downloads folder into my F drive so it could be the default downloads folder but I accidentally clicked a button which caused my downloads folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 relocating users folder