Windows 10: Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

Discus and support Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm going to do a fresh install and I don't want the profile folder on my C drive for 2 reasons - its a small SSD, and I want all data to be on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ECrispy, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

I'm going to do a fresh install and I don't want the profile folder on my C drive for 2 reasons - its a small SSD, and I want all data to be on a separate drive so my OS drive is separate.

I can move my Document/Download etc folders but thats not enough at all, everything uses %appdata% etc which is on C.

I found this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-move-users-folder-location-windows-10-a.html

but the process appears pretty complex (I mean compared to a Linux install where I can just point /users to any mount point)

Has anyone done this?

submitted by /u/ECrispy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ECrispy, Jan 2, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Kari, Jan 2, 2021
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive [​IMG]

scopio, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

*Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user.

If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to do this for a recently upgraded Windows 10 (not Windows Professional or Windows Enterprise) OS, I would be happy to get them.

wondermuse, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

1. Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive - Similar Threads - Moving user profile

2. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?: the common way to move a file on pc which has the "move" "location" property doesn't show on my end. I need an alternative way to move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-folder-from-c-local-disk-to-different/937f674e-007d-44d0-9956-26a045122841
  3. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  4. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  5. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?: I have installed the windows 11 OS to a SSD drive having 100GB capacity. Its 70GB already filled up and the maximum space is taken by the Program Files, Program Files x86 and the Users folder.I already moved the C:\users\username\Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, 3D...
  7. How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?: I have installed the windows 11 OS to a SSD drive having 100GB capacity. Its 70GB already filled up and the maximum space is taken by the Program Files, Program Files x86 and the Users folder.I already moved the C:\users\username\Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, 3D...
  8. Move user profile folders to another drive

Move user profile folders to another drive: I've seen some stuff on here about how to move folders IN a user profile to another drive. I need the entire profile to be on another drive. I bought an OEM Dell machine that came with a 256GB system drive and a 1TB data drive. Great. As far as it goes. Moving just...
  9. Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}

Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}: I have an SSD as the C: drive. and a large HDD as the D: drive. Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 I want to keep the stuff I do not use all the time off the SSD drive. I have two users Admin and {J} account. I want to move the working data for the {j} account to...
  10. Moving C:\users profile folders from C to [other place] - drawbacks?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Moving C:\users profile folders from C to [other place] - drawbacks?: Guys & Gals, this covers not only Windows 10, also covers Windows 8 and 7, all versions/all editions. I know there are several places that give details on how to move C:\users' users profile folders from C to another partition or to another HD [internal]. There are...