Windows 10: Moving W10 to a new computer

Discus and support Moving W10 to a new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new PC desktop computer for photo editing, general MS Office and web surfing. I already have an SSD boot drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveGPhoto, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Moving W10 to a new computer

Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new PC desktop computer for photo editing, general MS Office and web surfing.

I already have an SSD boot drive with W10 Pro x64 installed and activated and a bootable USB stick. The hardware of the new PC will be completely different to the old one so what is the best way to do the switch over?

Can I plug the existing SSD into the new computer and use the USB stick to provide the new files and drivers that the new hardware will need?

Thanks for any advice *Smile

:)

SteveGPhoto, Feb 13, 2018

2. Moving to a new Computer

So when i use my 7 disk i will be prompted that i can upgrade to 10 like before? Or do i have to download 10 from their website and use my Windows key on that version?

Luke Tegtmeyer, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 13, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Moving W10 to a new computer

10 is good at finding new drivers so it may work if hardwareis simliar but then you may have problems with activation as stricly speaking you should by a new copy

Samuria, Feb 13, 2018
  5. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Feb 13, 2018
  6. Ah, I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. The new hardware is completely different so maybe this isn't such a good idea *Sad

7. Okay, that's not too bad. Can I still use the product key from my current windows to activate the new install?

8. cereberus Win User

You can use sysprep to remove hardware drivers. But as you are thinking about doing a clean install, what have you got to lose by putting ssd in new pc and just trying it. Windows 10 is far superior to older versions at sorting out drivers.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    My windows are already on third system and every time it booted although on second or third time. It helps if internet connection is available at the time of switching. That usually means a wired connection. It also helps if you sign in with same MS account for easy license transfer but even than it can take some time for it to transfer license. So, patience in any case.

CountMike, Feb 13, 2018
  10. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Feb 13, 2018
  11. Thanks for the help, folks. Looks like I'll try the old SSD first and if that doesn't work a clean install on the new one *Smile

12. Winuser Win User
    I did it once and it worked. I had a retail Windows 10 Pro on a HP desktop that died. I took the SSD out and installed it in my new HP desktop as a dual boot. It not only worked, It was activated with my digital license.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving W10 to a new computer - Similar Threads - Moving W10 computer

2. Intro To New W10 Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Intro To New W10 Computer: Unfortunately, the user manual for my machine contains only 'how to upgrade' info. Something I would expect as an appendix/addendum to a 'user/operations' manual. I have contacted manufacturer to supply a more comprehensive document (akin to an auto manual). Hopefully this...
  3. Move W10 to new build.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move W10 to new build.: I just completed my first pc build, thanks with the W10 transfer. I did Great! I want to build another for my wife. she has a laptop that originally was W8 which I free upgraded to 10. Can I install W10 on the new build and use her activation key to activate her Windows...
  4. Moving SSD to new computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving SSD to new computer.: I'am going to be upgrading my pc soon and want to use my current ssd in my computer. I'am going to use the "reset this pc" setting to get rid of all my files, apps, games, etc. I want to start a fresh wipe of windows on my new pc. What i want to know is can I do the windows...
  5. moving to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving to a new computer: My current desktop is on life support, if I buy a new desktop can I just pull the root drive from my dying machine , put it in the new one and expect everything including all the APPS to work ?...
  6. Move to a new Computer

Move to a new Computer: What have people found to be the best way to transfer programs, files, data from one (operating) computer to a new one? Both are running Windows 10. Both will have OneDrive and Office 365....
  7. Moving to a new computer (license)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to a new computer (license): I am going to build a new computer and I am wondering if the license would keep working when I just switch out the OS drive to a new computer. It is a retail license, not OEM if that would make a difference. I also attached the license to my Microsoft account. Thank you!...
  8. Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?: My 11 year old rig died, brief specs Intel S775 Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 8GB Geil 800MHz ASUS 8800GT video card SSD (OS) & HDD (data) I am unable to boot. There is a flicker on the activity LED and the fans start, stop and sometimes start again.. PSU seems OK as case fans, DVD...
  9. moving files to a new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving files to a new computer: I have a six-year-old computer running Windows 10 and want to move all my files from it to a new computer also running Windows 10. What's the best/easiest way to do it?...
  10. Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?

Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?: Hi there! I have Windows 10 in my current PC (upgraded some months ago from Windows 7). However, this computer doesn't have a good performance when playing video games — or at least, not the desired performance. I was thinking about changing the CPU. Nonetheless, my...