Windows 10: Moving Win10 from one SSD to another

Discus and support Moving Win10 from one SSD to another in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a new SSD and want to move my system to that disk. There is a total of 3 disks in the system: 0 - which is a HDD and it looks like I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by poesel, Sep 5, 2020.

1. poesel Win User

Moving Win10 from one SSD to another

Hi,

I bought a new SSD and want to move my system to that disk.
    There is a total of 3 disks in the system:
    0 - which is a HDD and it looks like I'm booting from that
    1 - the old SSD
    2- the new SSD

Goal is to only boot from 2 and remove 1. 0 can stay.

I cloned 1 to 2 with Macrium Reflect but that was (obviously) not enough, it doesn't boot. Unfortunately ends my knowledge about how Windows boots here. Most things I could google pointed to a new installation or MBR disks (all disks are GPT).

I have no problems with the terminal or reading docs. I just couldn't find any for my situation.

Here is what it looks like (sorry for the German - I hope it looks familiar enough):

Moving Win10 from one SSD to another [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

:)

poesel, Sep 5, 2020
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Sep 5, 2020
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 5, 2020
  4. dan4betty Win User

Move OS to SSD

Move win10 from my HDD to SSD operating system only The SSD in smaller but it is 500 mg

dan4betty, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving Win10 from one SSD to another - Similar Threads - Moving Win10 SSD

2. Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD: The past few days, I've been having issues with my boot drive. I keep getting the A2 error on my mobo. I installed the SSD in 2017 and am going to buy a new one before it completely dies. I don't want to rebuy windows. What's the best way for me to move windows onto a new...
  3. Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD: The past few days, I've been having issues with my boot drive. I keep getting the A2 error on my mobo. I installed the SSD in 2017 and am going to buy a new one before it completely dies. I don't want to rebuy windows. What's the best way for me to move windows onto a new...
  4. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  7. Moving SSD from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving SSD from one PC to another: I have 2 laptops of different brands with completely different hardware, both with Windows 10 Home. The first laptop had a 250GB SSD, and the second had a 1TB HDD. I upgraded the first laptop to a 500GB SSD, and put the 250GB SSD in the second instead of the 1TB HDD. So the...
  8. Move Windows 10 Pro from one SSD to another SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move Windows 10 Pro from one SSD to another SSD: Good morning, I called on the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on moving the operating system (Windows 10 Pro) from one SSD to another SSD without operating system installation (Windows 10 Pro). I am waiting for an answer from you in this regard !!! Thank you!!! A...
  9. Moving Windows 10 from one ssd to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 from one ssd to another: I have two SanDisk SSD 120GB in my computer. I am running out of space and the one that boots up (with Windows OS on it) is dying. 1) How can I see what is on each individual SSD? I have everything backed up and there was very little on the two SSDs to begin with. 2) My...
  10. Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?: Could I possibly get some help on how best I can upgrade my existing SSD. I have a 256 GB SSD which I would like to upgrade to a 480 GB SSD. I already have the new SSD and want to upgrade it tommorow. How best I can transfer/migrate my OS (Windows 10 Insider Preview) from the...