Windows 10: Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help

Discus and support Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have an HP system which has Windows 10 home pre-installed. The computer is registered with my Microsoft account. My goal is to move it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RichVerjinski, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help

Hi, I have an HP system which has Windows 10 home pre-installed. The computer is registered with my Microsoft account. My goal is to move it to another instance of Windows 10 home on a VirtualBox machine.

I have registered both computers with my microsoft account (both show up). When I'm logged into the VirtualBox computer, I go to Settings > Accounts and I try to Activate Windows. Unfortunately, even though I am logged in... the computer does not give me the option to transfer the product key to the VirtualBox computer.

I called Microsoft Support.... they told me how to get the product key from the HP computer, and we were successful at doing that! I also asked the support person if I was required to UN-install the product key from the old computer, and he said NO.

So, I go back to the VirtualBox computer and try to Activate Windows using the product key, and it gives me an error "We can't activate Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device..."

So... did i get bad advice? When moving a product key from one computer to another... is it required to UN-install from the the first computer?

Thanks

:)

RichVerjinski, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Robert_os Win User

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help

Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the

My understanding of Slartybart's 1) is the installation of your old version Windows on the new machine.
    If you've used the free upgrade offer, you won't be able to install the old version Windows after 30 days. The license will be bound to Windows 10 already. Isn't this part of conditions of the free upgrade offer?

Vincentyu1130, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help

1. Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help - Similar Threads - Moving Win10 License

2. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help: Inherited an Optiplex 3040 with a win10 license and a "downgraded to 7 Pro from factory" install. Hard drive errors beginning so would like to download win10 image and install on a new drive. Dell used Legacy settings on these and I would install on new drive with ahci. What...
  3. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help: Inherited an Optiplex 3040 with a win10 license and a "downgraded to 7 Pro from factory" install. Hard drive errors beginning so would like to download win10 image and install on a new drive. Dell used Legacy settings on these and I would install on new drive with ahci. What...
  4. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  6. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  7. Move OEM license to new installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move OEM license to new installation: I have a Windows 10 Home, it came with the laptop. I'm gonna replace the SSD, and reinstall the system. I won't change anything except that (and adding 8GB additional RAM). I want to move my current license to that. Is that possible, and how? Thank you! submitted by...
  8. Moving to New Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving to New Machine: Greetings, I hope you are all doing as well as possible in these tough times. I am moving to a new machine. I will have 2 installations of Windows on separate partitions. One will be day to day stuff and the other music. The day to day I will reinstall. That's simple....
  9. Installing Win10 on new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new machine: Hey everyone, I'm selling a PC and am looking to install Windows on it for the new user. I have my own system with an ISO for Windows 10, as well as a blank 1TB hard drive intended for the PC being sold. I'm not entirely sure how to install the ISO on the blank hard drive so...
  10. [Resolved] Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    [Resolved] Moving Win10 License to a new machine - To UN-install or not? Help: Hi, I have an HP system which has Windows 10 home pre-installed. The computer is registered with my Microsoft account. My goal is to move it to another instance of Windows 10 home on a VirtualBox machine. I have registered both computers with my microsoft account (both...