Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KevinStromberg, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer. I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS to the new ssd and remove the hdd after this has been done. Can I just copy the files or do I need to buy a program to move the os?

:)

KevinStromberg, Aug 11, 2019
  2. AlecYM Win User

Moving windows 10 from ssd to hdd.

Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to move my Windows 10 from my HDD to my new SSD.

AlecYM, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Transferring Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD in the same computer

I just got a new computer and upgraded to windows 10. I also added in a 500GB SSD. I have all my files on the old computer and an external drive, so nothing other than the OS is on the new one. How can I move Windows from the HDD in the new computer to
    the SSD.

WallyPowers, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from Download Windows 10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

1. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer - Similar Threads - Moving hdd ssd

2. Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails: I bought an SSD and am going to make that my main drive/boot drive. I plan to transfer my windows 10 digital license to it, which I've been lead to believe is a thing. I want to know if that is possible and, more importantly, what is going to happen to the files on my old...
  3. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  4. Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing

Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing: Can someone help, My SSD has windows 10 on it, however due to the size of it (128GB) it's limited. I have purchased another SSD but due to my HP Omen Laptop having a digital license and no key visible, I would like my OS to be stored on my 1TB HDD which is already installed...
  5. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  6. move windows os from ssd to hdd

move windows os from ssd to hdd: How to move windows os from ssd to hdd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-os-from-ssd-to-hdd/bb3498ed-d913-4da0-b429-c86bfcd6ad21
  7. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD: I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking). How can he get his Windows 10 moved?...
  8. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  9. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...
  10. moving old hdd to new computer

moving old hdd to new computer: I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"? 11745