Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key?

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, I have a home made computer with an SSD and an HDD as well. Normally, I run windows 10 off of my SSD and my HDD is for the bulk of my files, as is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/luckyshoelace94, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key?

So, I have a home made computer with an SSD and an HDD as well. Normally, I run windows 10 off of my SSD and my HDD is for the bulk of my files, as is the case with lots of rigs. Unfortunately, my SSD seems to have taken some damage during a recent move and will not boot. So begins my troubles.

I downloaded Windows 10 from the windows website onto a USB flash drive, and went to install it into the HDD of my computer, which will be my boot drive until a suitable SSD is found. However, I clearly do not have access to one since my original copy is on a dead drive. My computer gets stuck on the boot screen if the SSD is even plugged in so I'm not sure how to continue here?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

submitted by /u/luckyshoelace94
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/luckyshoelace94, Apr 11, 2021

2. Moving an activated key from hdd to ssd

A friend and I built my pc, i used 2 old hdd (total 1.5TB) and a newer ssd (120gb) on which i want to install my windows 10, which is currently on 1 of the hdd. My hard drives have other things on them and so it's not as easy as just moving the files from
    the hdd to the ssd, aswell as that the windows 10 on the hard drive has been activated with a key i got from my friend. Is there a way to re-use the key if so how?

JuicyMelon, Apr 11, 2021
  3. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Apr 11, 2021
  4. neilpzz Win User

Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key?

Moving an activated key from hdd to ssd

Changing what Windows 10 is installed on doesn't change the licence so HDD > HDD or HDD > SSD will still be activated so long as the rest of the hardware is the same. A Windows 10 licence is registered against the device (motherboard) as long as the same
    edition is installed, Home or Pro.

You will need to clean install to the SSD though, use the Media Creation Tool to create USB install media to install windows to the SSD Download Windows 10 select
    to create media for another PC and select your USB flash drive. (8GB min)

I would suggest disconnecting the HDDs and install with just the SSD connected. All your programs and apps will need to be re-installed once you can boot from the SSD.

You will need to delete windows from the HDD manually deleting folders if you have other software that you want to keep.

neilpzz, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key?

1. Moving Windows 10 from dead SSD to HDD. Need access key? - Similar Threads - Moving dead SSD

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving Windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving Windows from HDD to SSD: Hi everyone! I have bought my PC(came with both HDD and SSD) more than a year ago and my Windows on a DVD which I stupidly installed on my HDD(and waiting 10 min every time i wanted to turn it on), but for this whole time i didn't have my SSD storage available. Today tho i...
  8. Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD

Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD: So I'm upgrading my current PC replacing mobo, cpu, ram, and adding an m.2 ssd but I would like to transfer windows 10, and only windows 10 to the ssd to be the boot drive and game storage device while keeping the hdd and what's on it intact, what would be the best way to go...
  9. Moving an activated key from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving an activated key from hdd to ssd: A friend and I built my pc, i used 2 old hdd total 1.5TB and a newer ssd 120gb on which i want to install my windows 10, which is currently on 1 of the hdd. My hard drives have other things on them and so it's not as easy as just moving the files from the hdd to the ssd,...
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...