Windows 10: moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

Discus and support moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! tldr; how to reactivate Windows 10 licence in Windows virtual machine running on a PC that previously ran Windows 10, and now runs Linux.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kvikk_og_grei, Dec 18, 2020.

1. moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

Hello!

tldr; how to reactivate Windows 10 licence in Windows virtual machine running on a PC that previously ran Windows 10, and now runs Linux.

Long; I formatted my Windows 10 pro PC and changed the operating system to Linux. I did not save my Windows product key etc before formatting.

I installed VisualBox and Windows 10 pro on the PC in order to use Windows on a virtual machine. Unfortunately, I have been unable to activate the Windows 10 pro licence within the virtual machine.

PC was bought with Windows 7, got a free upgrade to Windows 10.

How can i get windows 10 up and running properly in a virtual machine without buying a new licence?

:)

kvikk_og_grei, Dec 18, 2020
  2. Robert_os Win User

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Dec 18, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Dec 18, 2020
  4. neilpzz Win User

moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine

Do you mean you upgraded from Windows 7 on the host machine or you had Windows 7 installed on the virtual machine and you are trying to upgrade the virtual machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If you are trying to install Windows 10 on a new virtual machine then you have no licence to do that and that is why it is asking for a key.

neilpzz, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

1. moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine - Similar Threads - moving licence virtual

2. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  3. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  4. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  6. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  7. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine

Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine: I recently bought a Lenovo laptop from a 3rd party reseller. There are no Windows disks or hard-copy product keys It came with Windows 10 Professional, OEM_DM channel Running the command slmgr.vbs -dlv give information on the license, including the installation ID and...
  9. proper virtual machine licencing and activation

proper virtual machine licencing and activation: We're medium sized engineering business and would like to properly license the use of Windows (XP, 7 and 10) virtual machines. We will be using VMWare Workstation for our staff and they will need access to a pool of about 20 different VMs. The idea is that a staff member will...
  10. Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...