Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 License Key

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 License Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've done some searching but I couldn't find an answer... I built a computer last year and bought Windows 10 from the Microsoft store to install on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ARAMP1, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ARAMP1 Win User

Moving Windows 10 License Key

I've done some searching but I couldn't find an answer...

I built a computer last year and bought Windows 10 from the Microsoft store to install on it. Microsoft emailed me the product key and it's been running fine for over a year. Lately, I've been having issues with it (hardware issues) and decided to build a new machine. I have a new motherboard, processor, RAM and M.2 SSD and I'd like to move the product key over. I believe I'm legally allowed to do that with the retail copy I purchased, though I'm not sure. So, questions are...

1) Am I legally allowed to move the product key over? I'm planning on only using the new machine. The old one is trash. If I need to buy a new license, then so be it, but I wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred bucks.

2) How do I go about it? I've seen deactivation videos on youtube, etc. Do I need to deactivate on the old machine? I should be able to keep it running long enough to do what needs to be done.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

ARAMP1, Nov 11, 2019

2. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Nov 11, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Moving Windows 10 License Key

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Moving Windows 10 License Key

1. Moving Windows 10 License Key - Similar Threads - Moving License Key

2. Moving a license key between 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a license key between 2 laptops: Today I got 2 new Lenovo laptops, one came with preinstalled Windows 11 Home with a license key, second one didn't have any system installed on it so I installed Windows 11 Home manually on it, without any key. I then proceed to first log the license key for the first laptop...
  3. Moving a license key between 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a license key between 2 laptops: Today I got 2 new Lenovo laptops, one came with preinstalled Windows 11 Home with a license key, second one didn't have any system installed on it so I installed Windows 11 Home manually on it, without any key. I then proceed to first log the license key for the first laptop...
  4. Windows 10 license key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 license key: Dear Microsoft team,Are Windows 10 professional license key same for 32 bit and 64 bit OS.Regards.Saravanan P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-license-key/03f4d127-fece-418b-9cd0-0f086190f1c6
  5. Moving Windows 10 license

Moving Windows 10 license: I have an Windows Pro full retail digital license on a computer I'm decommissioning. I wish to apply that license to a different computer with a Windows Home license. How to do that? I just don't want to throw away the Windows Pro lic....
  6. Moving a Windows License

Moving a Windows License: I have an old computer which has a valid Window 10 Professional license attached to it. I would like to move that license to another much newer! computer which has a valid Windows 10 Home license attached to it. First question; how can I tell if the Win10Pro license is...
  7. Moving windows license

Moving windows license: i want to move my windows license to another pc but many people said that you can only move the license if its a retail version but mine is volume_mak https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-windows-license/a2aecd8e-4ca2-4fd5-81be-289f78c865ac
  8. Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement

Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement: Hi all, I have an old Dell XPS laptop with what appears to be an OEM Windows 10 key that came bound to the laptop. The laptop itself has a smaller SSD, and I've recently acquired a larger SSD that I'd like to replace the old one with. If possible, I'd like to use a system...
  9. Moving a Windows 10 license key

Moving a Windows 10 license key: Greetings, I'm just finishing up building a new pc to replace one that had been dying on me, and am wanting to transfer my license to it. I originally hoped that my old pc would survive until I was able to finish my new one, but unfortunately it totally died on me today. So...
  10. Moving Windows 10 Licensing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 Licensing: Machine Apricot with Windows 10Pro (license A person A) Machine Bobcat with Windows 10Pro (license B person B) Machine Charger (brand new) with Windows 10Pro (license C person no one yet) I'm wondering what the best way to do the following is... And yes, it's a bit...