Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bureau13, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Bureau13 Win User

Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept the Windows 7 product key of course and said I should attach my Microsoft account and use the digital license. Which I did, but it couldn't use the license probably because it was already in use on the old machine. From my Microsoft account, I could see both devices attached. So big mistake apparently I removed

:)

Bureau13, Apr 26, 2022
  2. myagkov-a Win User

Can't move windows 10 pro license to new laptop

Hi!

I have laptop with windows 10 pro digital license connected with my Microsoft account. I bought new laptop and want to move my windows 10 license. I installed windows 10 pro. In activation options I choose Troubleshooting -> I changed hardware recently ->
    choose my old laptop in list and get "Unable to activate windows" error without specific error code.

Is it possible to activate Windows 10 pro with digital license on new laptop?

myagkov-a, Apr 26, 2022
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Apr 26, 2022
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware - Similar Threads - Moving license hardware

2. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  6. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  7. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware: Hi,I have a retail license at least the commandline tool says so for Windows 10 that was originally a Windows 7 license that benefitted from the free upgrade that was possible some time ago. I still have the sticker with Windows 7 product key. I don't currently see the old...
  8. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware: Hi,I have a retail license at least the commandline tool says so for Windows 10 that was originally a Windows 7 license that benefitted from the free upgrade that was possible some time ago. I still have the sticker with Windows 7 product key. I don't currently see the old...
  9. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

10. Transfer Windows 10 to new hardware then buy new license

Transfer Windows 10 to new hardware then buy new license: Hi. I have an Asus video editing laptop to sell. I plan to reset it so the buyer has the Win 10 Home license that is linked to the motherboard. Before resetting, I'd like to move the Win 10 install to a new desktop faster hardware and then activate/pay for the new Windows...