Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 Licensing

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 Licensing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Machine Apricot with Windows 10Pro (license A person A) Machine Bobcat with Windows 10Pro (license B person B) Machine Charger (brand new) with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by C0BALT, Oct 29, 2016.

1. C0BALT Win User

Moving Windows 10 Licensing

Machine Apricot with Windows 10Pro (license A person A)
    Machine Bobcat with Windows 10Pro (license B person B)
    Machine Charger (brand new) with Windows 10Pro (license C person no one yet)

I'm wondering what the best way to do the following is... And yes, it's a bit convoluted. With Windows 7 this was not a problem at all. I am very unsure of how this is all going to work out.

In simple terms I am moving all the machines down one rung, but I need to keep the license at the same point.

Machine Apricot with Windows 10Pro (license C person no one yet)
    Machine Bobcat with Windows 10Pro (license A person A)
    Machine Charger (brand new machine) with Windows 10Pro (license B person B)

Is this doable?

Can I change the "admin" of a machine with a clean install and retain the same license? If I can do this, then it shouldn't be a problem. I can go about it that route.

Otherwise? Any other ideas?
    How should I proceed doing this?

:)

C0BALT, Oct 29, 2016

2. Transferring Windows

Generally for most who'd ask this: No. But . . .

"There’s no way to move this “digital entitlement” license to a new computer. It’s associated with that particular hardware you upgraded to Windows 10. Yes, even if you upgraded a system that was running
    a Retail license of Windows 7 or 8.1 that allowed you to move it to other PCs, you can’t move the resulting Windows 10 license to a new PC. However, Microsoft should allow you to reactivate Windows 10 on a PC if you had to replace the motherboard because it
    was broken." ( RE: When Can You Move a Windows License to a New PC? )

Is your Windows 7 a RETAIL license or OEM license?

Shenan Stanley, Oct 29, 2016
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Made hardware change, How do I activate Windows 10?

Depends on what time of license you have.

If it is retail license it can be moved. If OEM license it can not be moved.

Link below explains in detail.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

SarahKong, Oct 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you want to do complete wipes of the computers before giving them to the new users, then just do clean installs of Windows 10 Pro, wiping the hard drives/SSDs in the process - select Custom install option and delete all the partitions on the hard drive/SSD then install Windows 10 Pro to the unallocated space. The new Windows 10 installations will retrieve the digital licenses for Windows 10 previously stored on Microsoft activation servers and activate automatically.

Or, if you don't want to wipe the computers' hard drive/SSDs, then just create a new user account on the computer for the new user, change the account type to administrator. Log in with the new user account and, if desired, delete the old user account.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    The digital licences held on Microsoft's activation servers hold no personal information, just a unique hardware ID to identify each machine. When you move the machines 'one rung down', it matters not who has which licence. If you want it to say 'Licensed to:' the new user then...

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Windows 10 Licensing - Similar Threads - Moving Licensing

2. How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?: What I want to do:Move a Windows 10/11 license from one computer hosted at DataMart to their new data center?Situation:I have a dedicated PC hosted at DataMart running Windows 10/11 Retail, 512GB SSD system drive, and 6TB HDD data drive used for intermediate backups using...
  3. How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?: What I want to do:Move a Windows 10/11 license from one computer hosted at DataMart to their new data center?Situation:I have a dedicated PC hosted at DataMart running Windows 10/11 Retail, 512GB SSD system drive, and 6TB HDD data drive used for intermediate backups using...
  4. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...: Hi there.I have a couple of questions regarding moving my system disk to new hardware and I have not been able to find clear answers in the jungle of Microsoft licensing.Background:My pc is currenly running windows 10 pro but is too old to run windows 11 pro. It is originaly...
  5. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...: Hi there.I have a couple of questions regarding moving my system disk to new hardware and I have not been able to find clear answers in the jungle of Microsoft licensing.Background:My pc is currenly running windows 10 pro but is too old to run windows 11 pro. It is originaly...
  6. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

7. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  8. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  9. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Trouble moving digital retail Windows license to new PC activation fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble moving digital retail Windows license to new PC activation fails: Hi.I have an insane trouble with Windows activation on new PC and could not find way of getting real support.Back in a day I purchased Windows 10 Pro license from Microsoft Store, so Digital Retail license.PC was updated to Windows 11 Pro and was working and activated.PC...