Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk. I will keep the SATA SSD on which Windows 10 currently resides but would like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jean Louis Bouthillette, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

Hi, I am upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk. I will keep the SATA SSD on which Windows 10 currently resides but would like to move it to a new NVMe disk installed on the new motherboard.I have a retail version of Windows 10 PRO which is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. How should I proceed to i deactivate my Windows licence on my old PC/hard disk; ii replace motherboard, CPU , add new NVMe disk and install my SATA SSD; iii move Windows and all files from SSD disk to new disk; iv reactivate Windows 10 PRO on the new setup ?Th

:)

Jean Louis Bouthillette, Jun 4, 2023
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jun 4, 2023
  3. Motherboard Support Maximum Hard Disk

Respected Sir / Madam,

My Pc Installed 160Gb Internal Hard Disk.

My Pc Specifications -

Ddr2, 2Gb Ram

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo

Motherboard Hp Narmada TG33MK

Hard Disk WD 160GB, 7200Rpm

I Want To Change My Hard Disk.

I Want To Remove It And Put A New "Hard Disk" Of "2TB" In It.

Doing This Will Not Cause Any Problem In My Cpu?????

Please Suggestions.

Shankarbhatt03, Jun 4, 2023
  4. Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

Can I still upgrade to Windows 11 if I change the storage drive, CPU, and motherboard?

My PC does not meet the minimum requirements to upgrade to Windows 11 (Pro). In order to accommodate this upgrade I've bought a new storage drive, CPU, and motherboard. The new drive is much faster than the other drives, so I'd like to use it to store Windows instead of the original drive.

• Is it possible to immediately activate Windows 11 after I install it on the new drive using an installation disk?
    • In case activation isn't possible because I don't own Windows 11 yet, would it work if I installed Windows 10 first and then upgraded to Windows 11 instead?
    • Or would it not activate either copy of Windows 10 or 11 because my PC isn't recognized as the original due to the changed parts?
    I would very much appreciate any help or suggestions.

skipthijssen, Jun 4, 2023
Thema:

Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

1. Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk - Similar Threads - Moving PRO while

2. Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk: Hi, I am upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk. I will keep the SATA SSD on which Windows 10 currently resides but would like to move it to a new NVMe disk installed on the new motherboard.I have a retail version of Windows 10 PRO which is activated...
  3. Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 PRO while upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk: Hi, I am upgrading my PC by changing the motherboard, CPU and hard disk. I will keep the SATA SSD on which Windows 10 currently resides but would like to move it to a new NVMe disk installed on the new motherboard.I have a retail version of Windows 10 PRO which is activated...
  4. Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard

Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard: Hello, I am upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I use my computer for content creation and have a DAW digital audio workstation and Adobe creative cloud. Will I have to reinstall these programs and my plugins after the upgrade? This is my first upgrade that I am carrying out...
  5. PC Motherboard and CPU upgrade. My motherboard isn't recognising windows on my SSD as a...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC Motherboard and CPU upgrade. My motherboard isn't recognising windows on my SSD as a...: I tried to upgrade my motherboard and CPU. It was able to turn on but it didn't recognize my SSD as a boot option. I tried downloading windows on a USB from another computer and install another copy of windows using my windows license key but it said it couldn't because there...
  6. upgrading motherboard and cpu

upgrading motherboard and cpu: Hi, I have a question regarding upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I currently have an off the shelf gaming PC purchased a few years ago. I am looking to replace my asrock B-360M andi5-9400F with newly purchased Asus Prime Z390-A and I9 9900k. My question is in regard to the...
  7. Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro

Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro: Have gone through the whole re-activate , pick pc etc and it fails. Logged into my account. I could see that I had 2 pc's with the same name and different hardware so thought that it was failing due to not being able to determine which to use. I removed the old pc stupidly as...
  8. Upgrading motherboard and CPU windows 10

Upgrading motherboard and CPU windows 10: I have installed Windows Ten on older PC with both new and used drives, all is well but I want to upgrade the motherboard , CPU and RAM and don't want to loose my OEM license...
  9. Windows 10 CPU/Motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 CPU/Motherboard upgrade: I am planning to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard + RAM type ddr3 > ddr4. i have linked my digital license to my Microsoft account. I'm wondering if my PC will boot into Windows and if there is any additional activation or re-installation i must do....
  10. Windows 10 Pro Unactivated After Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

Windows 10 Pro Unactivated After Upgrading Motherboard and CPU: I've tried troubleshooting like the website had told me to and it did not help. I originally had Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and now it says I need to activate windows. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and heatsink and I used the computer for a few hours and only now the activate...