Windows 10: Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

Discus and support Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am planning to install a new motherboard and drives, an upgrade. Old one is 5 years old. I want to retain all my apps and data without having to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeslieMiner1, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

I am planning to install a new motherboard and drives, an upgrade. Old one is 5 years old. I want to retain all my apps and data without having to reinstall everything or in some cases replace with new. Currently Windows is on an M.2 180 GB drive and data on a 1 TB HDD. I used the option to separate OS and apps from data for performance. I also have a graphics card that I will upgrade too. I would like to keep the same setup. I will replace the current M.2 drive with a new bigger M.2 that operates on PCie rather than SATA. The HDD I can replace either as an SSD or an additional M.2, the new board has 2 M.2 slots. I know that there are many cloning or recovery type apps available.

Since Windows is installed in old configuration, what happens when the new one starts up with a new and different hardware configuration? Does Windows just go through a detect new hardware thing? Or would Windows fail and not startup at all? Since Windows was setup to put the OS and apps on one drive and data on another will that cause an issue? Should the old 1 TB HDD be installed in the new system to get through the initial startup? Would it be better to remove the graphics card and uninstall all its drivers before starting anything? I think I need to clone Windows and apps on the old M.2 drive onto a separate drive and install it into the new system. Then once getting Windows to complete installing on the new system, clone the old HDD on to something new?

I might be making this all more complex than necessary. I fear losing Windows, apps and data when making the upgrade.

:)

LeslieMiner1, Mar 7, 2019

2. Moving a storage device to a whole new set of hardware

You can certainly move the SSD but Windows will not run for these reasons:

• Invalid product key. All Windows product keys are tied to the hardware (CPU, motherboard etc.)
    • Invalid HAL. The correct Hardware Abstraction Layer gets established at installation time. It will be incorrect when moving the disk to different hardware.

Frederik Long, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Tbearr Win User

Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

Moving C Drive to a new motherboard

Hello,

I am downsizing my motherboard to a smaller form factor motherboard. Will my C drive Windows 10 Home software boot and work on the new motherboard?

Tbearr, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives

1. Moving Windows 10 to new hardware motherboard and drives - Similar Threads - Moving hardware motherboard

2. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  3. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  4. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  5. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  6. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  8. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???: I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer? The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700 Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???...
  9. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  10. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard: Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft account linked to my digital license, so I have heard that when booting on the new motherboard ASUS STRIX Z390-E Windows will do...