Windows 10: Moving Windows Installation to SSD

Discus and support Moving Windows Installation to SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently had to take my computer to the shop because the latest Windows update crashed it. They reinstalled windows and got it working again.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Michaelsole, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Moving Windows Installation to SSD

I recently had to take my computer to the shop because the latest Windows update crashed it. They reinstalled windows and got it working again. However, I noticed that windows had been installed on my hard drive, not on my SSD like it used to be. Not only that, but my SSD doesn't appear anymore under "this PC" in my computer file explorer. How do I get it back and move the windows installation back on there?

:)

Michaelsole, Dec 19, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 19, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Moving Windows Installation to SSD

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

If you want to move it from hard disk, system image or cloning would be your options:

Choose system image if the SSD is equal in size or larger than hard disk:

Choose cloning if its not:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clone-move-windows-10-data-larger-ssd-disk-drive/

OR

You can remove the hard disk, reinstall Windows 10 directly to SSD, reattach the hard drive and format it.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Moving Windows Installation to SSD

1. Moving Windows Installation to SSD - Similar Threads - Moving Installation SSD

2. Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD: The past few days, I've been having issues with my boot drive. I keep getting the A2 error on my mobo. I installed the SSD in 2017 and am going to buy a new one before it completely dies. I don't want to rebuy windows. What's the best way for me to move windows onto a new...
  3. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows Installation to New SSD?: Hey all,I'd like to move my Windows 10 installation to a solid state drive I just got. How can I do this while keeping all my user data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-installation-to-new-ssd/20ba14cd-b13e-414c-9081-ba9868e8e29a
  4. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move Windows Installation to New SSD?: Hey all,I'd like to move my Windows 10 installation to a solid state drive I just got. How can I do this while keeping all my user data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-installation-to-new-ssd/20ba14cd-b13e-414c-9081-ba9868e8e29a
  5. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Moving to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to an SSD: Is there a way to easily move my Windows 10 instalation from my HDD to a new SSD, without having to reinstall any of my programs? submitted by /u/Richard32009 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k0gbby/moving_to_an_ssd/
  7. Move windows to ssd

Move windows to ssd: Hello, I have a hdd and ssd. My bios doesn't read my ssd so I had to add it manually in disk management. I want to move windows to ssd. Is it possible to move windows to ssd but leave everything else on the same drive. wpiing my pc isnt an option because then when I reinstall...
  8. Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?: Planning on building a new PC fairly soon once the RTX 3080 releases. Probably going to replace everything in my current build with the exception of my three hard drives, one of which is an SSD with Windows installed on it. Is it possible to simply move the SSD to the new...
  9. Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation?: Hi! So, this is what I want to do, if I can! Going to install an SSD in my wife's PC and I really don't want to reinstall Windows if at all possible. I'd be nice to be able to move Windows to the SSD and leave all the applications on the HDD and just repair where the...
  10. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...