Windows 10: Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

Discus and support Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mitchbron01, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft account linked to my digital license, so I have heard that when booting on the new motherboard ASUS STRIX Z390-E Windows will do all activation work for me. I have my product key just in case. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall windows and all that jazz

:)

mitchbron01, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Haegely Win User

Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

I bought a default Lenovo K450 a few years back that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Well over the past few months I've upgraded the PSU, GPU, and moved too an SSD without much of a hassle since I was using the same motherboard and CPU. Well, I'm moving
    too a whole new upgrade and changing the case, motherboard, CPU, and adding a network card. My question is, once I've changed out all of the parts, will I need to reinstall Windows 8, or can I just install Windows 10 again like normal and follow the steps
    with customer support to establish the legitimacy of my previous Windows OS? I have the OEM and Product Key.

Haegely, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10: Fitting a new motherboard and CPU

Hi,

Yes, you may change your Motherboard and CPU without a problem. To resolve your issue in case you encounter a problem, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

article
    which you can expand Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
    and you can use an Activation troubleshooter if you get activation errors. The given link is previously provided by
    'Mike P.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 28, 2019
  4. hellrazor Win User

Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

1. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard - Similar Threads - Moving CPU Motherboard

2. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  3. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  4. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  6. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  7. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Wanna replace the motherboard and CPU and move Windows 10 to the new build and remove it...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Wanna replace the motherboard and CPU and move Windows 10 to the new build and remove it...: Hello! My Windows 10 is a free upgrade from a genuine physical copy of Windows 7 still have the package and it is activated. Does this combination allow me to move Windows 10 to a new computer? New motherboard and CPU make it a new computer, I believe. I linked Windows...
  9. Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?: UnfortunatelyI am starting to feel the upgrade itch. Its been over 4 years and a new series of Intel desktop CPUs has launched. All I might change are CPU and motherboard---not RAM. Im seriously considering NOT doing my normal clean install, partially out of curiosity about...
  10. New motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    New motherboard and CPU: Ok I think I am having to give up on what on earth is wrong with my Ivy Bridge build (2012) and replace the board (and CPU) with either of these Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming3 ATX 1151 Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming3 | shopping express online (impressive price) or Gigabyte...