Windows 10: Moving WSL to an external drive

Discus and support Moving WSL to an external drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Lately, I've been experimenting with WSL and have successfully installed a distro on my system. But I have one problem: My C-Drive is nearly full while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JasperDe Gussemé, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Moving WSL to an external drive

Lately, I've been experimenting with WSL and have successfully installed a distro on my system. But I have one problem: My C-Drive is nearly full while I have an external drive with space enough. Is there a way to move the ext4.vhdx file to the external drive but still be able to use the distro exactly the same, maybe with some linked file or something?

:)

JasperDe Gussemé, Nov 28, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 28, 2021
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 28, 2021
  4. Moving WSL to an external drive

Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 28, 2021
Thema:

Moving WSL to an external drive

1. Moving WSL to an external drive - Similar Threads - Moving WSL external

2. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  3. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  4. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  5. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  6. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  7. Move data to external hard drive.

8. Moving WSL to an external drive

Moving WSL to an external drive: Lately, I've been experimenting with WSL and have successfully installed a distro on my system. But I have one problem: My C-Drive is nearly full while I have an external drive with space enough. Is there a way to move the ext4.vhdx file to the external drive but still be...
  9. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...
  10. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...