Windows 10: Mozilla CEO slams Microsoft over Windows 10 browser defaults

Discus and support Mozilla CEO slams Microsoft over Windows 10 browser defaults in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Mozilla CEO Chris Beard accuses Microsoft of hobbling users' browser choices by making Edge the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. PaulGo Win User

Mozilla CEO slams Microsoft over Windows 10 browser defaults

Mozilla CEO slams Microsoft over Windows 10 browser defaults - CNET

:)

PaulGo, Jul 30, 2015

2. Can I Go Back To Windows 7 From Windows 10?

problem is with the new windows 10 is that every one is so quick to judge the flaws and negatives of the new OS that even ppl like Mozilla don't get the memo

I mean unlike you the CEO of firefox started ranting over things he don't have control of

meaning he went off that windows 10 upgrade don't allow users to keep their old OS settings meaning default web browser and such

now do note that Windows or MS has rights too do as they wish with their OS they designed it so all the tools that come with the OS are yours to try out as you wish and if you don't like it you can always opt out by getting new software that meets your needs
    and make those your default...

now with this said MS got rid of internet explorer to replace it with Edge but when you upgrade to windows 10 Edge becomes your default browser as to what you used pervious

and that's ok for me cause its a new and major OS you expect things like this to happen but you can always change your default apps as you did before in previous windows OS

so Mozilla CEO got mad pissed even that MS is trying to STEAL its users from having the right to keep their settings

its a new OS ppl a huge one way better then windows xp , vista , 7 , failed 8 , and 8.1 and I been using MS windows since 3.1 when we had no GUI all you had was file manager lol

so stop ranting that it sucks when its just a better GUI then 8.1 its the same ppl if you had windows 8 and 8.1 yall will just see its just a huge improvement to what was broken in 8

but if your going from windows 7 to windows 10 then yall will freak out with the new features you will start to hate what happen to windows cause yall never had windows 8

just get over it and except that your getting a free upgrade as to paying 199$ for the less unfortunate who cant upgrade cause they don't genuinely own windows..

Wasted_Elmo, Jul 30, 2015
  3. How do I make Firefox my default browser on a Windows 10 laptop

In this case, you can try to make Mozilla Firefox as your default web browser by following these steps:

• Open Mozilla Firefox.
    • Click the Menu button and select Options.
    • On the General tab, click on Make Default. The
      Windows Settings app will open with the Choose default apps screen.
    • Scroll down and click the entry under Web browser. In this case, the icon will say either Microsoft Edge or Choose your
      default browser
    • In the Choose an app screen, click Firefox to set it as the default browser.

After performing the steps, Mozilla Firefox is now listed as your default browser. Close the window to save your changes. If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

He should get his own house in order before complaining about MS's.

5. Boozad Win User
    I'm not sure what the problem is, anyone who's used Windows for any decent length of time will use Edge to download Firefox if that's their browser of choice and never fire up Edge again. Just because MS makes Edge the default (it's their OS after all) doesn't mean to say everyone is forced to use it.

Boozad, Jul 30, 2015
  6. PaulGo Win User
    The problem is it is more difficult in Windows 10 to change the default browser. In Windows 7 within Firefox or Chrome you could choose to make it the default browser from within the browser. Now you have to go outside the browser into Microsoft settings to change the defaults. Also when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 where I had Firefox as my default browser the migration did not keep that preference and If you choose the default setup preferences it will make Edge the default browser.

PaulGo, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    I never experienced that to be honest. Installed Firefox and just launch it from Taskbar, job done. It's easy to change default programs in 10 as well.

Boozad, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

While that's true there are a number of things that aren't being said.

First, this doesn't affect just browsers. It's all default apps.. This is not Microsoft picking on Mozilla or Google specifically.

Second, When the app tries to set itself as the default, it pops up a dialog that tells the users exactly how to set the defaults.

Third, this is being done to prevent browser apps from hijacking users preferences. In the end, it's there to protect the users from unscrupulous software vendors who think they can just take over defaults without asking the user. (read PUP's and malware).

Fourth, It's just not that hard to set.. come on. Anyone that actually cares about the default will figure out how to set it. This is just whinging because they want to.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    The second is the issue I have. In the older preview build. When the program requested it to be default, it opened up a dialog to give you a choice what to use. Now, you have to go and set that manually. Not all programs are like that. I notice thunderbird was able to be set in the way I just described. One things that was really hard to set the default apps, was the pdf program. That wasn't an easier task to change. I did get it change to fox-it reader.

groze, Jul 31, 2015
  10. jfreemont Win User
    I don't have a real problem with the way it works, except for two things:

--The "default programs" area needs to be made more obvious instead of hidden away. It's a central part of how Windows works (and becoming more important in Android, for that matter), so it needs to be out in the open.

--I'm okay with needing to go to the "default programs" area, but once I set it, it needs to be done. I've double-clicked a file, and Windows asks me AGAIN if I am sure I want to keep my current default program. That's damn ridiculous.

jfreemont, Jul 31, 2015
  11. bobkn Win User
    I wonder whether the EU countries will let this stand without a fight. I imagine they'll want something like the old Default Browser choice window that appeared when Windows was set up. (When was that introduced - XP?)

The whole thing seemed ridiculous. I know some people who are anything but tech savvy who use Chrome. It's hardly obscure. Firefox may be a bit less well known, but an obvious choice for those who wish to escape the Google hegemony.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Cr00zng Win User
    The third point will certainly be appreciated by the average end users, even if they won't know it... *Wink

BTW... If you set FF as the default browser, Edge won't nag you to change it back like IE used to...

Cr00zng, Jul 31, 2015
  13. vgchat Win User

Whining over microsoft making their browser default like they've done with what.... every single windows release? Makes me want to use Firefox even less. So what, they feel like their browser should be in the default windows install or something? Cry more mozilla...

And what's this about over riding a users browser preference to "make sure this is the default browser"? I've had zero issues making chrome my default browser.

vgchat, Jul 31, 2015
  14. Something has to be default and I sure in the hell don't see Microsoft making it Firefox. Only makes sense for it to be Microsoft's own product. How ridiculous for Mozilla to complain that Microsoft uses their own product on their own product.

fracking4oil, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Tonyb Win User
    I had no issue making chrome my default at all i fired up edge first hand and it popped right up and told me that my norton safe search was not compatible with it, it brought me right to a screen were i could pic what browser i wanted to use, that worked with that extension it was a simple i click and go.

Tonyb, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Mozilla CEO slams Microsoft over Windows 10 browser defaults - Similar Threads - Mozilla CEO slams

2. Taskbar won't pop up over Mozilla

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar won't pop up over Mozilla: Hello. So I've seen this being a problem for some people for awhile now. Basically, while NOT in a full-screen mode, Windows 10 Taskbar won't pop up over Mozilla. It pops up fine over Edge and Opera. Yes, i have Auto-hide the taskbar ticked on so is "Fix the taskbar" idk what...
  3. Default browser windows 10

Default browser windows 10: After downloading windows 10, it is not letting me choose Firefox as my default browser. Also, certain hyperlinks only take me to Microsoft edge and do not let me use Firefox. Links that I used to sign in with Firefox have been disabled....
  4. Mozilla CEO Chris Beard to Step Down

in Windows 10 News
    Mozilla CEO Chris Beard to Step Down: Earlier this morning I shared the news internally that – while I’ve been a Mozillian for 15 years so far, and plan to be for many more years – this will be my last year as CEO. When I returned to Mozilla just over five years ago, it was during a particularly tumultuous time...
  5. Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser

Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser: Working in Windows 10, every few days Edge takes over as the default application for PDF (which we have set to Adobe). At the same time, it becomes the default browser (changing from Chrome). We have repeatedly gone to Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps...
  6. Ex Opera CEO releases new browser Vivaldi

in Browsers and Email
    Ex Opera CEO releases new browser Vivaldi: I installed this today it's called the Vivaldi Technical Preview. It not even like Opera. 3830
  7. Mozilla browser Container Extension

in Browsers and Email
    Mozilla browser Container Extension: How many of you have used the new Mozilla "face book" extension for its Firefox browser that isolates the Facebook identity of users from rest of your web activity ?? Facebook Container Extension, once installed in the user’s Firefox browser, makes it harder for Facebook to...
  8. Linus Torvalds slams CTS Labs over AMD vulnerability report

in Windows 10 News
    Linus Torvalds slams CTS Labs over AMD vulnerability report: Torvalds, in a Google+ discussion, wrote: "When was the last time you saw a security advisory that was basically 'if you replace the BIOS or the CPU microcode with an evil version, you might have a security problem?' Yeah." Or, as a commenter put it on the same thread, "I...
  9. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Windows 10 Is Here to Change the...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Windows 10 Is Here to Change the...: Windows 10 is already in development right now and Microsoft promised to release new updates for the official Technical Preview builds on a regular basis in anticipation of the final launch of the operating system which could take place in spring 2015. Since the new OS is...