Windows 10: Mozilla lost bookmarks and passwords after upgrade

Discus and support Mozilla lost bookmarks and passwords after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, Anybody else have the wonderful experience of losing all their bookmarks and their password database when they restarted Firefox after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Greywolf, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Greywolf Win User

Mozilla lost bookmarks and passwords after upgrade

Hey,

Anybody else have the wonderful experience of losing all their bookmarks and their password database when they restarted Firefox after the update from Windows 7 (or any other version) -> Windows 10??

Yes, did create system image but did not preserve C:\users (-> U:\) *. Even the old folder no longer had my bookmarks, and moving the old passwd and master key file did not allow Moz to figure it out.**

* I don't want \users on my SSD drive -- I add/delete stuff WAYYY too often, so it sits on a spinny drive and is connected via a junction point.

** Thank the electronic god(desse)s for even a 7-month-old backup, so I didn't lose that much in terms of moz config.

:)

Greywolf, Aug 3, 2015
  2. dmp761 Win User

How to restore bookmarks using windows.old file

I'm running Firefox. Lost my bookmarks after upgrading to Windows 10. Found them in the Favorites subdirectory in the windows.old file. Any way to restore these bookmarks to Firefox?

dmp761, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Where did my Bookmarks and Stored User Names and Passwords go?

I am sorry, in my annoyance last night I failed to mention that I use Chrome and Firefox. Is there a way to bring my bookmarks back from the dead? I did the windows 10 upgrade yesterday and that is when I lost my bookmarks, usernames, passwords, etc

CaptainBorrelli, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Upgrades do not work well if the user folders are not in their default locations. The only fix I've seen is to restore the original OS then restore them to their default location then upgrade again.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Greywolf Win User
    well, I'm already there, so...

The real oddity was that it shoved \users over to C:\windows.old\users.

This is wack. Wanting to keep \users separate from the system drive is NOT an illogical or unreasonable approach!

Greywolf, Aug 3, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    FYI. In firefox, there's is an SYNC option that you create an account to save everything including add-ons. If you use it then you don't have to worry about losing bookmarks, passwords etc... And if you have multiple PC's, adding a bookmark on one PC will also sync up with other PC's.

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Greywolf Win User
    That involves, effectively a "cloud-based sync". Not terribly interested in that, but it's starting to look like I won't have a choice. Mozilla lost bookmarks and passwords after upgrade :p

[Maybe my laptop has some of the passwords...]

Greywolf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Mozilla lost bookmarks and passwords after upgrade - Similar Threads - Mozilla lost bookmarks

2. recover my lost bookmarks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover my lost bookmarks: I cannot find my bookmarks? I did not make any changes to my browser, but it started to be something other than I wanted. I loaded duck duck go back on for default and the book marks are gone!...
  3. recover my lost bookmarks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover my lost bookmarks: I cannot find my bookmarks? I did not make any changes to my browser, but it started to be something other than I wanted. I loaded duck duck go back on for default and the book marks are gone!...
  4. Lost highlights and bookmarks after update Freda

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost highlights and bookmarks after update Freda: Good eveningAfter Windows' last update all my recent read books .epub have lost its highlights and bookmarks. Books I haven't touched in a while still retain theirs.I use Freda to read my .epubs. How can I revert this?Thanks...
  5. Lost highlights and bookmarks after update Freda

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost highlights and bookmarks after update Freda: Good eveningAfter Windows' last update all my recent read books .epub have lost its highlights and bookmarks. Books I haven't touched in a while still retain theirs.I use Freda to read my .epubs. How can I revert this?Thanks...
  6. Lost highlights and bookmarks after update Freda

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Lost Chrome Bookmarks

Lost Chrome Bookmarks: Hello, I've upgraded Windows and lost all my bookmarks. Please help how to recover my bookmark history. Best, Tiko https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-chrome-bookmarks/220fe9aa-64c9-4099-a308-dfd88550ed5b
  8. Lost all settings, profiles and bookmarks after 1903V Upgrade

Lost all settings, profiles and bookmarks after 1903V Upgrade: Hello, my first post ever on a MS forum. Yesterday, my PC got upgraded to 1903 and ALL my settings, profiles and bookmarks were gone afterwards. The issue list is even longer, with programs refusing to start, failing, etc. But OK, I've now spent hours putting things back...
  9. Lost bookmarks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost bookmarks: I have lost my bookmarks in Windows 10. Also lost my toolbar. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-bookmarks/c0427a3d-b8b6-4cbe-b561-7a40074f4cdb"
  10. lost my bookmarks

in Browsers and Email
    lost my bookmarks: all of my bookmarks and saved log on/passwords are gone. i've been reading how to restore the bookmarks from the backup json file, but can't get it to work. i use firefox and windows 10 79569

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firefox upgraded lost bookmarks and saved passwords