Windows 10: MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file

Discus and support MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded an MP4 video file on my work laptop (Windows 7) and was able to open and watch it on Windows Media Player. I copied the file onto an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Kasta9383 Win User

MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file

I downloaded an MP4 video file on my work laptop (Windows 7) and was able to open and watch it on Windows Media Player. I copied the file onto an external memory drive to watch the video at home but when I open the drive on my personal laptop (Windows 10) the file changes format to XML Document. I cannot open it on either Windows Media Player or on VLC. On Windows Media Player I am getting the "unsuported file format " error message. I took the external memory drive back to work today to check if I maybe copied the file incorrectly; however on work laptop the file shows as MP4 video. I don't know why it's not showing as MP4 on my personal laptop. I just purchased my laptop a few months ago so the technology should not be outdated. I don't believe the file is corrupt as it opend on work laptop with no issues. Please help!!!

:)

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Urgent - My mums disappeared file

Word saves its files as .docx, this is basically a zip file which contains an xml document representing the text and a folder containing the images in the document.

Have you tried to open the xml file in Word - Open Word - choose Open File, at the bottom of the open file dialog change the file type to xml and open the file, Word may be able to convert the xml file back to a Word document

If the file does not open as a Word file, save the xml document from Word as a .docx file and open it again, this time it may have reverted to a Word document . . .

MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file [​IMG]

If that does not work, there are plenty of websites online that will convert an xml file to docx for free . . .

DaveM121, Aug 8, 2016
  3. Install instructions from a zip file to WM 6.1 device

I was trying to add some applications to my Windows mobile 6.1 phone and the applications i downloaded was zip files.

for example i tried to download something to make my text messages appear differently and there are 5 files in the zip.cab folder.

0Setting.002 and file type is File 002

SMSBUB~1.001 file type is File 001

SMBUB~1.000 file type is File 000

SetupDLL.999 file type is File 999

_setup.xml file type is XML document

I tried opening the xml document and it opens some random internet explorer which a bunch of text.

I have no idea what to do.

Arianna A_, Aug 8, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Can you go to Settings> System>default apps>default apps by file type and see what it shows for .mp4?

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Kasta9383 Win User
    Hi aardvark, thank you for your reply.

It shows Films & TV next to MP4:

Just changed it to VLC but it's still showing as XML Document *Sad

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  6. aardvark Win User
    OK, just to be clear. When you transfer the .mp4 file to your laptop, it remains an .mp4 file type; correct?

Update: I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it is still showing as an xml document. So, can you go to file explorer and show file extensions and then post a screenshot?

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  7. Kasta9383 Win User
    No, it shows as XML Document:

That's the Properties screen shot from the external memory drive. When I open the external drive on work laptop, type of file shows as MP4 but when I open on personal laptop it changes to XML Document. I tried to copy the file from external drive to my personal laptop but it just copies as XML *Sad

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  8. aardvark Win User

Holy moley? Can you try and play it right from the external drive to see what happens?

Scratch this request after reading your last post.

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  9. caperjack Win User
    click CHANGE . next to where is says , OFFICE XML Handler and choose VLC

caperjack, Aug 8, 2016
  10. Kasta9383 Win User
    I tried that already but VLC doesn't open the file at all and Windows Media Player gives this message:

It's the most bizzare thing! have no clue what is going on!?

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  11. Kasta9383 Win User
    Hi caperjack,

Tried that also and no luck - VLC still won't play the file. Under Type it says XML File but when I try to open with VLC it won't play.

UPDATE: Here's the Properties screenshot after I changed to VLC:

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  12. Kasta9383 Win User

Kasta9383, Aug 8, 2016
  13. aardvark Win User

Can you go to Settings> System>default apps>set defaults by app. Select VLC to handle all extensions that it can by default.

aardvark, Aug 8, 2016
  14. caperjack Win User
    go to the location of the file and right click on it and go properties ,and just under file type click ,change, this will change the program that's associated with that file type now, to one that should be associated ,and chose the vlc program .I don't have a video file on my computer right now ,but this is what it should look like after you right click on the file..

caperjack, Aug 8, 2016
  15. aardvark Win User
Thema:

1. MP4 file opens on personal laptop as XML Document file - Similar Threads - MP4 file opens

2. download .xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  3. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  4. files not opening in documents

files not opening in documents: None of my docs XLS etc files are connected tot he app and I cannot open them - what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-not-opening-in-documents/2fa36e32-22d9-40d8-a6d8-f86294dbe757
  5. Can't open, edit and save xml files

Can't open, edit and save xml files: Hello I have som xml files i want to edit, but for some reason my pc dont let choose what program i want to open the xml files with. It only show "open" and not "open with" notepad. Then i forced it to open it with notepad by making it default for xml files. Then i was able...
  6. Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...: Get this "Error 25541. Failed to open XML file C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config. system error: - 2147024786" while trying to install Hallmark card studio deluxe. Brand new Windows 10 fully up to date. Can't seem to find an answer how to...
  7. mp4 files

mp4 files: Why can't I open and play my video files in Windows 10 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files/9caf77cb-f036-4ec7-8741-7fff9b008c92"
  8. MP4 FILES

in Windows 10 Customization
    MP4 FILES: Hi, i cannot run an MP4 file on my windows computer. any advice would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files/5d15cbeb-ecf9-41c7-9d34-5dc33afd8bfc
  9. MP4 file.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MP4 file.: Hello, I can not find my MP4. I looked in File Explorer,Documents,etc. Please,I need the steps to send a video from YouTube to my Gmail. I don't know a lot about computers. Yes,I knew how to send a video on Windows 7. Thanks, A.W....
  10. Problem when opening xml file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem when opening xml file: I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10 browser) window and all...