Windows 10: MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails.

Discus and support MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Something happened to my HDD today causing MP4s to lose their thumbnails, but a clone that was made a few days ago, first shows generic icons for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sebastian42, Jan 2, 2021.

1. MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails.

Something happened to my HDD today causing MP4s to lose their thumbnails, but a clone that was made a few days ago, first shows generic icons for the default Player, then after a moment, they turn into thumbnails. I'd like to understand what is going on, and above all, how to make the non-clone show thumbnails again for MP4s.

:)

Sebastian42, Jan 2, 2021
  2. Coberino Win User

Can't see AVI video thumbnails

As the title says, I can view MP4 thumbnails, but not AVI.

Coberino, Jan 2, 2021
  3. Chuter44 Win User
    .mp4 thumbnail icons!?

Did the feature update this morning and now I don't get thumbnail previews for .mp4 files only!

Any idea why anyone!? I like my thumbnails!!!

Chuter.

EDIT: To be more specific it seems it's only not going to show me the .mp4 video thumbnails for the videos that came from my MotoZ2 play device which are in 4k. if that may have anything to do with it?

Chuter44, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Jacob1559 Win User

MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails.

Thumbnails for Video Files (such as mp4) Are Not Working

Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files (particularly mp4) seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while thumbnails for older files remained. Even more odd, these new mp4 files would receive thumbnails while
    being uploaded to OneDrive, but would lose their thumbnails after uploading / syncing was complete.

Recently, I cleared my thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup, but that did not fix the issue. Instead, I lost all of my thumbnails, including the ones that remained for the older mp4 files (I have done the obvious as well, such as refreshing my Windows Explorer
    session following disk cleanup and even rebooting). So, I tried clearing the thumbnail cache again using an administrative command prompt, and I got the same result.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Jacob1559, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails.

1. MP4s lose thumbnails, but gain icons; AVIs still have thumbnails. - Similar Threads - MP4s lose thumbnails

2. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons / thumbnails: In Windows 10, I can't change the icon view to thumbnails. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-thumbnails/11b292ca-0973-40d8-ab36-6c5ce181894d
  3. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons / thumbnails: In Windows 10, I can't change the icon view to thumbnails. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-thumbnails/11b292ca-0973-40d8-ab36-6c5ce181894d
  4. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I'm having trouble with icons and thumbnails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm having trouble with icons and thumbnails.: Problem .PNG files don't have thumbnails: *I had to cut out file names for privacy reasons* : [ATTACH] Problem 2 Windows 10's built apps like Settings, Mail, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, Groove Music, etc... have missing icons:[ATTACH] [ATTACH] Quick note: I'm not...
  6. icons or thumbnails?

icons or thumbnails?: My pc has started to show mostly icons instead of jpeg photos how can I reverse this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-or-thumbnails/c0f8aefb-25b0-4384-a70e-f9d95bb1a02b
  7. thumbnails covered by icons

thumbnails covered by icons: It didn't work. "always show icons, never thumbnails" wasn't checked to begin with. When I clicked "apply" some of the icons blinked to show thumbnails and returned immediately to the mountain icon. Please try again EDIT -- I went to the main pictures folder and did this...
  8. Icons and Thumbnails

Icons and Thumbnails: I am above average computer knowledgeable, but I have problem I can not seem to resolve. My system is 64 bit Windows 10 Pro.and I have performed many known fixes and can not resolve the problem. I want to only view thumbnails and not Icons but I keep getting part thumbnails...
  9. Icons and thumbnails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons and thumbnails: Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. I have fixed this in windows 10, all well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previusly were just icons. I'd...
  10. Icon/thumbnail views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon/thumbnail views: I have many folders that are Adobe Ill, Adobe Photoshop and Flexi with big files. I want to change the default view for my pictures folder including its sub folders, but not every folder because it slows it way down trying to come up with a icon for these big files. Not sure...