Windows 10: mpg files on windows 10 / media player

Discus and support mpg files on windows 10 / media player in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was pretty mortified to find Windows Media Player on Windows 10 can no longer play mpg files like I was used to in Windows 7. I guess this was not an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mpg files on windows 10 / media player

I was pretty mortified to find Windows Media Player on Windows 10 can no longer play mpg files like I was used to in Windows 7. I guess this was not an intended outcome but has much to do with Microsoft stripping out dvd playback from Media Player and this is a side effect. Attempts to play the mpg files in question result in only audio but no video. It's not the end of the world because I have other software (Cyberlink media show) that can play them just fine. But I miss the convenience of Media Player and the ability of Windows Explorer being able to generate a helpful thumbnail. I may just convert them to MP4 soon as I only have a few videos of my son and it won't take long but I'd be keen to hear of workarounds.

So I wonder if there is a way of fixing this so Media Player will work with them and thumbnails will generate, without having to resort to dodgy codec packs and their dodgy installers. Fingers have been burned on codec packs before.

Cheers,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 17, 2015

2. Problem with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I have suddenly had problem opening MPG video files in Windows Media Player. The mpg files will play in other players such as VLC Media Player. The inability to play mpg files has just happened and trying system restore points did not solve it.

I get the following message every time I try and open a mpg file.

"Windows Media Player has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working properly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

No solution was forthcoming. In all other respects WMP works fine. I tried installing a MPG codec to no avail. I would like to overwrite WMP with a fresh download of version12 64 bit version but seem unable to download the program. I don't want to reinstall
    Windows 10 again in case things go wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

OldmanMorton, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Davidk03 Win User
    Media player on windows 10 won't play an mpg file

I tutor a class in video editing, and a student has a problem. A new HP laptop, windows 10, and the media player on that machine which will not play (2 ways - double click on file, and file\open ) an .mpg file resident on a usb3 memory stick, attached to
    a usb3 port. The media player screen is just blue, the play indicator runs across the screen, but no image or audio is evident.

The same .mpg file on that memory stick attached to a usb3 port on my somewhat older hp laptop running windows 7 plays fine in the media player thereon. So it's clear there's nothing wrong with the file or the memory stick.

A check with the file associations via the win10 control panel show that an .mpg file should auto start media player when clicked. Which it does, but the result in the player window is imagery and audio gone missing.

So, what could be wrong or configured incorrectly on the win10 media player that gives this 'gone missing' result?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Davidk03, Nov 17, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

mpg files on windows 10 / media player

WMP hasn't seen much development since Windows 7. You could try this codec pack.

Failing that, VLC is a decent alternative.

swarfega, Nov 17, 2015
  5. strollin Win User
    MS has never provided codecs for all video types with WMP. I know I've had to install codecs on XP, Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 to be able to play all the content I have.

As Swarfega said, VLC is an alternative and includes codecs for just about everything.

strollin, Nov 17, 2015
  6. PJLLB Win User
    I guess not all mpg files are created equally because I just searched my PC for all *.mpg files and each of them played fine in WMP on Windows 10.

PJLLB, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

mpg files on windows 10 / media player

1. mpg files on windows 10 / media player - Similar Threads - mpg files media

2. .mts files on windows media player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .mts files on windows media player: windows media player, .mts MTS files, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mts-files-on-windows-media-player/d2d302fc-1a3f-4a07-a259-812592c61745
  3. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  4. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  5. Windows Media Player corrupted file

Windows Media Player corrupted file: Having a little problem with WMP in Windows 10. I have three playlist, but one, titled "All Music" (which is obviously all of my songs in my collection) has issues. When I try to click on any of the songs in this playlist, I get the error attached to this post. I've cleared...
  6. .mp4 files in window media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mp4 files in window media player: why .mp4 fies are not play in window media player in windows 10 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files-in-window-media-player/df1a9991-37f0-40b8-8928-5dfc4aea586a"
  7. MPG File transfer

MPG File transfer: Hi, I am transferring some old MPG files from a Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop. The files transfer, but when I open them I get audio only, no video. Help...……. Guy...
  8. advice on Windows Media Player files

advice on Windows Media Player files: I keep my music files in windows media player, and want to export them to a dj software program, however I cannot figure out where to move the files to so they are accessible. Help?...
  9. Windows Media Player and WMA files

Windows Media Player and WMA files: I have a large number of WAV and WMA files on external storage. I am new to Windows Media Player on Windows 10, so some of the following may see rudimentary. I have researched WAV/WMA and the net seems to imply that WAV does not support metadata in the form of file details,...
  10. MPG files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    MPG files on Windows 10: Hello all, I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our...