Windows 10: MPG files on Windows 10

Discus and support MPG files on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 22, 2015.

1. MPG files on Windows 10

Hello all,

I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our ageing Sony Camcorder on my system. Luckily I have Cyberlink Media Show pre installed that can play the files within it's own software and the media suite (espresso) can convert said files to other formats. However, converting takes time and it is frustrating that media player 12 won't do the job and Windows Explorer won't display these MPG files with the handy thumbnail within file explorer viewing. Given that I am a little distrustful of codec packs and all my other files such as MP4, WMV etc etc play well I am looking for a solution that maybe just allows windows explorer to display the thumbnails and as an added bonus Media Player can once again play them. It does seem draconian that MS stifled a common playback format such as MPG in the last 2 windows and a major backwards step. I know I could download something like VLC or Media Player Classic but it seems pointless seeing as I have software that can already play them.

I tried K Lite Codec Pack a while back but hated the effect it had that I uninstalled. It was causing thumbnails to constantly refresh everytime I opened a folder. So is there a way of slipping in a single codec only related to MPG files without risk of unsettling all the other stuff that works well? Many of the codec packs seem to have the unpleasant side effect of slipping in extra installations and seem very dodgy and capable of causing grief.

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 22, 2015
  2. BobNear Win User

I'm trying to download from a flash drive several movie files (Movie Clip (.MPG)) the sound comes over but the movie does not.

Original Title - MPG movie file

I have windows 10 and I'm trying to download from a flash drive several movie files (Movie Clip (.MPG)) the sound comes over but the movie does not. Help?

BobNear, Nov 22, 2015
  3. D723 Win User
    How do i get my Move Clip (.MPG) files to play in Windows 10

Trying to carry over video files from old computer to new. Using Seagate backup plus portable drive. I see the mpg files but they only play the audio and not the video. Is there a known problem playing mpg's on Windows 10?

4. topgundcp Win User

MPG files on Windows 10

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2015
Thema:

MPG files on Windows 10

1. MPG files on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - MPG files

2. I have an mpg file in OneDrive that won't play until I'm given the choice to open in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an mpg file in OneDrive that won't play until I'm given the choice to open in...: I have an mpg video file in OneDrive. When I open it and go to play, it says it can't play, do I want it opened in another app. I chose yes And it plays but without sound....
  3. I have an mpg file in OneDrive that won't play until I'm given the choice to open in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have an mpg file in OneDrive that won't play until I'm given the choice to open in...: I have an mpg video file in OneDrive. When I open it and go to play, it says it can't play, do I want it opened in another app. I chose yes And it plays but without sound....
  4. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  5. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file: I burned the file to the DVD as "Need to autostart.mpg"I then added an autorun.inf which contained:[autorun]OPEN="Need to autostart.mpg"When I insert the DVD I get:If I click on it, I get:How do I get the mpg file to open when the DVD is inserted?...
  6. Trying to get auto play working with a mpg file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...: OS: Win10 Home, build 19043Default Video App: VLCSo far on both LT & DT:* Completed SFC on both LT & DT.* Deleted thumbnail cache* Confirmed Advanced System Performance Setting> Show thumbnails... & Save Taskbar previews... are both checked.* Confirmed Folder Options> Always...
  8. How to convert MOD video file to MPG format

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert MOD video file to MPG format: [ATTACH]Most of us will likely have no idea what a MOD file is, and that’s because camcorders are not as popular as they once were. […] This article How to convert MOD video file to MPG format first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. MPG File transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MPG File transfer: Hi, I am transferring some old MPG files from a Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop. The files transfer, but when I open them I get audio only, no video. Help...……. Guy...
  10. File Explorer crashing in folder displaying mpg 'details'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer crashing in folder displaying mpg 'details': When I display a folder containing *.mpg video files and I switch to 'Details' view, file explorer crashes after a few moments. I've read online that this might be related to bad codecs on my machine. Is there a way to definitively test this or is there a trusted site where I...