Windows 10: MPG files on Windows 10

Discus and support MPG files on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 22, 2015.

1. MPG files on Windows 10

Hello all,

I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our ageing Sony Camcorder on my system. Luckily I have Cyberlink Media Show pre installed that can play the files within it's own software and the media suite (espresso) can convert said files to other formats. However, converting takes time and it is frustrating that media player 12 won't do the job and Windows Explorer won't display these MPG files with the handy thumbnail within file explorer viewing. Given that I am a little distrustful of codec packs and all my other files such as MP4, WMV etc etc play well I am looking for a solution that maybe just allows windows explorer to display the thumbnails and as an added bonus Media Player can once again play them. It does seem draconian that MS stifled a common playback format such as MPG in the last 2 windows and a major backwards step. I know I could download something like VLC or Media Player Classic but it seems pointless seeing as I have software that can already play them.

I tried K Lite Codec Pack a while back but hated the effect it had that I uninstalled. It was causing thumbnails to constantly refresh everytime I opened a folder. So is there a way of slipping in a single codec only related to MPG files without risk of unsettling all the other stuff that works well? Many of the codec packs seem to have the unpleasant side effect of slipping in extra installations and seem very dodgy and capable of causing grief.

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 22, 2015
  2. BobNear Win User

I'm trying to download from a flash drive several movie files (Movie Clip (.MPG)) the sound comes over but the movie does not.

Original Title - MPG movie file

I have windows 10 and I'm trying to download from a flash drive several movie files (Movie Clip (.MPG)) the sound comes over but the movie does not. Help?

BobNear, Nov 22, 2015
  3. D723 Win User
    How do i get my Move Clip (.MPG) files to play in Windows 10

Trying to carry over video files from old computer to new. Using Seagate backup plus portable drive. I see the mpg files but they only play the audio and not the video. Is there a known problem playing mpg's on Windows 10?

4. topgundcp Win User

MPG files on Windows 10

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2015
Thema:

MPG files on Windows 10

1. MPG files on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - MPG files

2. File in $RECYCLE.BIN not showing in the Recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File in $RECYCLE.BIN not showing in the Recycle bin: I have a disk that is full, I deleted file and emptied the recycle bin and it is still full. Using windirstat, I can see there is 1.6G in $RECYCLE.BIN : [ATTACH] But when I go to the Recycle bin, it shows as Empty : [ATTACH] How could I retrieve the space associated...
  3. How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT: Dear Community, I have the following Problem: Last month I tried to recover deleted files on my drive C:.. I have the Notebook since several years and never set up the System new. The undelete program searched a very long time and found the entries of nearly 600.000 deleted...
  4. File Explorer opens randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer opens randomly: Hi, I have a problem and is that yesterday my pc was lagging because I had a 3d rendering software eating all the RAM, so all the other tasks suffer lagging as a consequence, so I decided to close everything except task manager and the program. When it finished, I used the...
  5. MPG File transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MPG File transfer: Hi, I am transferring some old MPG files from a Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop. The files transfer, but when I open them I get audio only, no video. Help...……. Guy...
  6. How to add an image (for two minutes) at the start of a mpg movie

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add an image (for two minutes) at the start of a mpg movie: I want to add an image at the start of a mpg movie and want it to show it constant for 2 to 3 minutes before the actual movie start. Can someone explain how to do it. 120374
  7. MovieMaker12 sound only for .mpg files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MovieMaker12 sound only for .mpg files: My first post after searching unsuccessfully for an answer. I downloaded MovieMaker12 onto my new Dell Inspiron3650 desktop with Windows10. It plays .avi and .mov files OK but I get sound only for .mpg files. Any help would be appreciated. 39575
  8. File Explorer crashing in folder displaying mpg 'details'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer crashing in folder displaying mpg 'details': When I display a folder containing *.mpg video files and I switch to 'Details' view, file explorer crashes after a few moments. I've read online that this might be related to bad codecs on my machine. Is there a way to definitively test this or is there a trusted site where I...
  9. mpg files on windows 10 / media player

in Windows 10 Support
    mpg files on windows 10 / media player: I was pretty mortified to find Windows Media Player on Windows 10 can no longer play mpg files like I was used to in Windows 7. I guess this was not an intended outcome but has much to do with Microsoft stripping out dvd playback from Media Player and this is a side effect....
  10. Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10: Hello. My son and I have recently upgraded our 2-year old Dell 660 Inspiron from Win 7 Pro by doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro to a brand new HDD. As we have been testing out different apps and things to ensure everything is working, we've discovered that AVI files and MOV...