Windows 10: MPO an JPS files should be supported by MS

Discus and support MPO an JPS files should be supported by MS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; MPO is recognized by many picture editors, but is not recognized by explorer. They are basically jpg format files, but with 2 images for L & R... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by J.Clement, Jul 21, 2018.

1. J.Clement Win User

MPO an JPS files should be supported by MS

MPO is recognized by many picture editors, but is not recognized by explorer. They are basically jpg format files, but with 2 images for L & R stereoscopic viewing. It is possible to hack explorer by extracting the definitions for jpg and putting them back as definitions for MPO. This has been done, and I have a suitably hacked registry file. The problem with doing this is that while you can view the metadata, you should not change it. Any changes will result in the R image being destroyed. I also have another hack that allows the thumbnails to be displayed, without the metadata being available.

JPS is even easier. By extracting and personalizing the registry info for JPS, you have access to all the metadata. JPS is basically just a JPG with 2 pictures stored side by side with the L view on the L side.

Apparently MS does have some stereoscopic adaptations. A 3D movie in side by side format (SBS) will play, but in 2D. The player knows that it has to expand on 2X horizontally compressed frame (anamorphic) for display.

The problem with the hacks is that the thumbnail displayed for JPS shows both frames. I would be nice if it could just show one side, which would make the thumbnail easier to see. The MPO thumbnail is correct, but either the ability to change metadata should be blocked, or explorer should understand the format and protect the second image along with first so as to prevent its destruction. Actually MPO could be used for more than 2 images, so any changes should take into account this possibility.

MS could support JPS in explorer immediately! MPO requires some more intelligence. If I could get the necessary incantations, I could fix my MPO hack so it would allow metadata display but not change.

As to the labeling of topics, 3D is most confusing because it can mean perspective drawing to simulate 3D or true stereoscopic display.

:)

J.Clement, Jul 21, 2018

2. File Explorer EXIF data for .mpo files

Hi,

You will be able to view a file extension of a data on the device only if you have a supporting software installed to view the file.

Please reply to a few questions asked below:

• Did you check if .mpo file is located in the default programs?
    • If present, have you set an application to view the .mpo file as a default file viewer?

Check if .mpo file format is located in Default programs by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Choose a default app for each type of file and select the top most search result.
    • From the window, check if .mpo file type is located.
    • If located, click on the app set as default and select an app to read
      .mpo
      file by default from Choose an app window.
    • Close the window, click on the .mpo data located in the computer and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of .mpo file format not able to open on the computer for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 21, 2018
  3. GWinAZ Win User
    File Explorer EXIF data for .mpo files

I can view the .mpo 3D files as a picture using the FinePixViewer program and other programs. This is not the problem. The problem is File Explorer not displaying the .mpo file's .EXIF data like it does for .jpg files.

To directly answer you question, .mpo is not in the list of known file extensions so it can not be associated with a default program. That is another clue that Windows does not properly support the .mpo file extension even though it has been around since
    at least 2011.

GWinAZ, Jul 21, 2018
  4. GWinAZ Win User

File Explorer EXIF data for .mpo files

Here is the snip. The camera is set to capture a 2D and 3D picture at the same time. The .jpg file is the 2D. The .mpo is the 3D. I thought the data wasn't in the file until I used an EXIF viewer for the .MPO file and all the information is there (and a
    lot I didn't know about).

MPO an JPS files should be supported by MS 4253aef1-e056-4d9e-beda-d9b24f5b57bd.png

GWinAZ, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

1. MPO an JPS files should be supported by MS - Similar Threads - MPO JPS files

2. Lags with MPO Multi-Plane Overlay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lags with MPO Multi-Plane Overlay: Set up:AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Palit DUAL RTX 2060 Super16 GB RAMWindows 10 Pro latest build and previos, though I think this relates to Win11 as wellDisplay: 1080p 75Hz*Also tested this on totally different computer and the problem exists there as well.Description:Lags of scrolling...
  3. Lags with MPO Multi-Plane Overlay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lags with MPO Multi-Plane Overlay: Set up:AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Palit DUAL RTX 2060 Super16 GB RAMWindows 10 Pro latest build and previos, though I think this relates to Win11 as wellDisplay: 1080p 75Hz*Also tested this on totally different computer and the problem exists there as well.Description:Lags of scrolling...
  4. Lags with MPO Multi-Plane Overlay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ms support and ms autoruns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ms support and ms autoruns: hi guys , how is it possible that the people in the MS support are as useless as they are . my question on this call was/is why is MS autoruns returning no results , ive got the hide hidden files etc unchecked but it returns literally nothing...
  6. Horrible MS Assure support...or any support

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Horrible MS Assure support...or any support: I have now tried for several days to connect with some form of support regarding pc security issues. I have an Assure subscription which appears to be worthless. Following the advertised links for either chat support or a scheduled call back is fruitless. I have 3 times...
  7. MS Support Phils

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Support Phils: How do I contact Microsoft support in the Philippines? I need some of the settings in my PC checked but I'm not a techie. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-support-phils/a0ce2fc2-dad6-4d3c-b715-f9a6f0caebfb
  8. MS Virtual support

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MS Virtual support: When you have a problem and Microsoft send you to a forum for answers. Then all you find is that other people have the same problem how can you say your problem has been solved? Then you are asked to rate the help 1 star being the worst rating. Its no help at all a Zero...
  9. Creating an MPO registry entry

Creating an MPO registry entry: I can copy the .Jpg registry entry and then by changing ".jpg" to ".mpo" in all places, MPO thumbnails and tag details can be displayed. I have also found that removing the fulldetails kills the details option when looking at properties. MPO is basically a container for...
  10. Opening mpo files in Windows vr

Opening mpo files in Windows vr: Is there an app that will display an MPO file in my new Windows VR headset? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-mpo-files-in-windows-vr/38b776ee-2d6d-443c-90b9-c2818ce00f53

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .mpo files not recognized by file explorer