Windows 10: MR clone can show incorrect SSD identification info

Discus and support MR clone can show incorrect SSD identification info in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've cloned two old SSDs to Samsung EVOs recently (on two PCs, both 20H2 Pro), and discovered that MR carries some historical identification from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Wisewiz, May 5, 2021.

1. Wisewiz Win User

MR clone can show incorrect SSD identification info

I've cloned two old SSDs to Samsung EVOs recently (on two PCs, both 20H2 Pro), and discovered that MR carries some historical identification from the disk you're cloning (DUH!). In both cases, I cloned old SSDs to brand new Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSDs, and in both cases, on the newly installed SSDs, Windows 10 Device Manager mis-identified the new SSDs. A check into Device Manager\Properties\Events for the new disks revealed historical info from the disks I had cloned from. Everything had been copied to the new disk, including the identification of the old disk in the registry. A search through each registry revealed that the Device Manager info was derived from the Friendly Name subkey info for the disk Windows thought it had on hand. Snooping around revealed that the registry had the info on the source disk just beside (above) the info for the new disk. I backed up the subkey, edited the Friendly Name, and rebooted. Now Device Manager and specs software (Everest) show exactly what they should: a new, Samsung authenticated, 870 EVO 250GB is sitting in the bay. "If you're cloning, if you're cloning, ... the whole world clones with you."

:)

Wisewiz, May 5, 2021
  2. Wisewiz Win User

I've cloned two old SSDs to Samsung EVOs recently (on two PCs, both 20H2 Pro), and discovered that MR carries some historical identification from the disk you're cloning (DUH!). In both cases, I cloned old SSDs to brand new Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSDs, and in both cases, on the newly installed SSDs, Windows 10 Device Manager mis-identified the new SSDs. A check into Device Manager\Properties\Events for the new disks revealed historical info from the disks I had cloned from. Everything had been copied to the new disk, including the identification of the old disk in the registry.

A search through each registry revealed that the Device Manager info was derived from the Friendly Name subkey info for the disk Windows thought it had on hand. Snooping around revealed that the registry had the info on the source disk just beside (above) the info for the new disk.

I backed up the subkey, edited the Friendly Name, and rebooted. Now Device Manager and specs software (Everest) show exactly what they should: a new, Samsung authenticated, 870 EVO 250GB is sitting in the bay.

"If you're cloning, if you're cloning, ... the whole world clones with you."

Wisewiz, May 5, 2021
  3. steve108 Win User

The simple solution is to uninstall the disk in Device Manager and reboot - it will be fixed when Windows reinstalls it after a reboot. I've done it before.

steve108, May 5, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

That's one reason I use imaging and recovery rather than cloning.

Steve C, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. MR clone can show incorrect SSD identification info - Similar Threads - clone show incorrect

2. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  3. Incorrect email identification

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect email identification: Why does a friends email name come up as 'Bigpond' instead of the name in contacts list? She has a bigpond email address? I use Windows live mail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incorrect-email-identification/55485b10-9e40-4f49-83f7-1c0f8f3c792c
  4. SSD not showing correct size after cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD not showing correct size after cloning: Recently i upgraded my old ssd from 256gb to 1tb and after cloning it shows the old size. I used macrium reflect free edition to clone. How do i get it to show the new size? Also when i open the new ssd none of the system files show up, its just empty even though the capacity...
  5. SSD not showing correct size after cloning

SSD not showing correct size after cloning: Hello all, Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper window, the SSD is listed with a correct capacity. In the lower window, however, it shows that the SSD has the capacity of roughly...
  6. Clone ssd

Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  7. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  8. SSD Clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  9. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...
  10. SSD not identifible in UEFI mode

SSD not identifible in UEFI mode: So i'm doing a fresh install of windows 10 onto my operating system and I can only install it with GPT partition mode. Only issue is after it's installed on my SSD, when it restarts and boots in the BIOS it cant be identified so I can't boot the OS. This also happens with my...