Windows 10: MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Discus and support MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I installed MS 365 a few weeks ago and have recently noticed that its files are not showing thumbnails when looking at them in Windows Explorer. All... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by tpriest, Aug 28, 2020.

1. tpriest Win User

MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer

I installed MS 365 a few weeks ago and have recently noticed that its files are not showing thumbnails when looking at them in Windows Explorer. All files are saved in the latest format, e.g. docx, xlxx, pptx. This is whether viewed as large, medium or small icons.

For a Word file I see a default icon with W middle left. For Excel a default icon with X middle left.

File & folder options:
    Always show icons, never thumbnails - unticked
    Display file icon on thumbnail - ticked

pdf, jpg, png, files are fine, it's only the MS 365 files that are odd. Even then some of the Excel files will show a thumbnail and the very occasional Word file.

Files are saved in the latest format (as far as I'm aware), with Save Thumbnail ticked. For Word files Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word is unticked.

I've tried changing the Files & Folder settings for all folders. No difference. Tried clearing the thumbnail cache, no difference except lost most of the thumbnails for files that previously showed thumbnails.

I thought it might be to do with settings of particular folders as it seemed that, occasionally, copying a file from a folder where it didn't show a thumbnail to another folder resulted in the thumbnail being displayed. But that wasn't consistently repeatable and isn't happening now anyway.

Are there any other things I can try?

:)

tpriest, Aug 28, 2020

2. Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

I recently updated to Office 365 and removed my previous version of office. Now I cannot see thumbnails in file explorer for excel and pptx. I can see Word and Adobe. Anyone got a solution?

Moved From: Office / Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

GayleCilfone, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

Hi Gayle,

When you save an Excel or PowerPoint in File Explorer it automatically saves two copies a preview copy and a thumbnail preview. Here are the steps on how you can see your files in thumbnail preview.

• Open an Excel file or PowerPoint document.
    • Click File on the upper left side.
    • Select Info.
    • Look for Properties and click Advanced Properties.
    • Tick the box that says Save thumbnails for All Excel/PowerPoint Documents.
    • Check the folders where you saved the file it should be in thumbnails already.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Aug 28, 2020
  4. MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

Thank you but this did not work. The boxes are already ticked for both excel and powerpoint. I also cannot open pptx documents from file explorer. I need to open from Powerpoint 2016. See error below.

"this action is only valid for products that are currently installed'.

Do you have another solution?

GayleCilfone, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer

1. MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - 365 files Word

2. Word and ppt files not readable anymore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Word and ppt files not readable anymore: Bonjour,I have problems with Microsoft office files .Text are no more readable and i can't write a readable text anymore pictures belowStyle of Font are deleted.I can't detect the virus with any of anti-virus. I use Windows defender for now.Windows 10 Professionnel Any help...
  3. My document saved in Word ,Excel and PPt not accessible

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My document saved in Word ,Excel and PPt not accessible: Since the recent window upgrade my documents are not opening any more. Pls see the attached error screenshot. Kindly advise on what to do to access and edit my saved documents on my laptop, Thanks...
  4. Cant print word/excel/ppt from Microsoft Office 365 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Cant print word/excel/ppt from Microsoft Office 365 2019: Hi all, I have a new notebook that run in win 10 and install with Microsoft office 365 2019. It has been connected with Fuji Xerox CM255FW by wifi I can print directly from web browser like IE & Chrome and pdf file, but not notepad; word; excel and powerpoint from Microsoft...
  5. Cant print word/excel/ppt from Microsoft Office 365 2019

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant print word/excel/ppt from Microsoft Office 365 2019: Hi all, I have a new notebook that run in win 10 and install with Microsoft office 365 2019. It has been connected with Fuji Xerox CM255FW by wifi I can print directly from web browser like IE & Chrome and pdf file, but not notepad; word; excel and powerpoint from Microsoft...
  6. Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files: Hi I am facing this issue for more than a month on windows 10. Windows explorer hangs not responding whenever I click on an excel or powerpoint file. And the files are not opening as well. The issue was there for word as well, but today when I updated the video drivers word...
  7. MS Office 365 eXCEL

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Office 365 eXCEL: Two problems: One- In Excel, keep getting "we're sorry but excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working........" This error is extremely irritating as I have to reenter data everytime MS decides to "prevent it from working" and when you deal with the...
  8. Excel and word 365 not printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Excel and word 365 not printing: Hi, I have a strange issue where only certain Office 365 products will not print to a network printer. Other applications (ie Chrome, PDF, MS Powerpoint, Word) will print with no issues. The issue happens with Excel 365, Outlook 365. I can see the job going to the...
  9. MS Word and File Explorer

MS Word and File Explorer: I just started using Word 365. I go to File Explorer and open an existing Word doc and make no changes to it. I then close it out. In File Explorer, the listing shows it now has a new “Date modified” with the current date. If I open the doc again and check its properties, it...
  10. File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding

File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding: When I open File Explorer I can see all my folders and documents. If, for example, I open a folder in One Drive and choose a word or excel file, it will not open. I get the message that the file folder is not responding. I am able to access the files by using Excel or...