Windows 10: Ms account - Now totally hosed up accross network

Discus and support Ms account - Now totally hosed up accross network in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I made a big boo boo of switching to an Ms account from a local account -- now if I want to switch back again to a LOCAL account I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms account - Now totally hosed up accross network

Hi there

I made a big boo boo of switching to an Ms account from a local account -- now if I want to switch back again to a LOCAL account I can't use the same username -- so now my access is TOTALLY hosed up on shared drives across my entire network as the username is now different. I have some LINUX SAMBA servers too - so I don't want to have to re-configure all those too as well. Grhhhhh!!!!!!!

This has become 100% UNWORKABLE -- so I'm going to have to recover my system again.

I like W10 so far but this Ms account has really hosed up my network accesses on shared drives.

I don't like also your email address being displayed on the login screen either --seems bad security leaving your email address out in public. This will be displayed when the computer is also in "Lock Mode".

If you don't want an Ms account simply disconnect Internet at install time, also if you want to keep the SAME USER NAME on your PC as a local user then if you MUST create an Ms account create one with a DIFFERENT USER NAME. Then you won't hose up network accesses on LAN's etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014

2. How to: Perform a Custom Installation of Windows

Key phrase here is "you should see this option." Regretfully I am NOT given the option when I boot from the install disk.

Totally hosed up!, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Windows 10 Flashing Screen, no Sound & Numerous Other Issues

Wow, this weeks update totally borked my system. It will not restart on it's own now and always locks up during restart, requiring hard reboot. Additionally on 3 our of 4 boots, my USB mouse and keyboard will power up during the BIOS stage of the boot,
    then lose power once windows start, again requiring a hard reboot until they finally start working under windows. Additionally, the search bar no longer brings up any windows settings and apps, and will only bring up internet search returns. Nice job with
    the update MS. You totally hosed my system.

Ghostryderflyby_ID, Oct 3, 2014
  4. topgundcp Win User

You don't have to disconnect the Internet. At the point where it asks you to enter your MS Account, just click on Create an MS Account, another screen pops up and on the bottom, just click use local account instead then it will ask you to enter a user name for local account.

NOTE: You should have the Internet connected so Windows can update the drivers.

topgundcp, Oct 3, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The problem though is AFTER one has say created an Ms account whether intentionally or otherwise you can't use the SAME USER NAME on your local account which then creates problems if you need that user name to access other resources on servers / computers on your LAN.

You can't convert say user DOG with an Ms user account say L: dog@rubbish.com back to a LOCAL account user DOG as it will say Windows has already used this user name.

Now if you have a load of shared devices / applications on your LAN which require a login then changing a user name from DOG to say DOG1 will cause problems because you'll have to set up user DOG1 on all the resources on the LAN that user DOG could access especially if the authentication was of the form DOG/machinename where the machine name is the original machine user DOG was on.

This whole Ms account idea might be OK for single Home users - but for any sort of networking in a mixed Linux / Windows network it's a right royal pain in the you know where.

The other rediculous situation is that on your lockout screen it shows the whole Ms account such as L: DOG@RUBBISH.COM -- now on say a work Lan you don't want to see your email address publicly displayed when you lock your computer and leave the room for a while. Our security guys would go totally bonkers. W"hy can't they just show the USER (say DOG in my example) without the email bit - if they did that I could live with the Ms account stuff. I can't see any way of modifying the lock screen.

Anyway I restored my image so it's OK now .

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 4, 2014
  7. Petey7 Win User
    Can you not enter a random user name when switching to a local account, then change the account name back to your original account name? As far as I know, every version of Windows has allowed change account names.

Petey7, Oct 5, 2014
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Option One below is good to use to change the name of your Microsoft account. *Smile

User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

Brink, Oct 5, 2014
  9. YoMan Win User
    Just a note about having the email visible on the lock screen: I had my dell venue 8 pro stolen and when the (stupid) thief couldn't figure out how to reset the thing or unlock the password he contacted me by using the email address shown on the login screen. So in terms of recovering lost or stolen property it's pretty great.

(side note 1: I know he was the thief, or at least connected to the thief, because he only contacted me a month after I lost it, and it was in perfect condition, no dust nothing, still in its case. Not only that, but it on when he gave it to me, meaning he charged it.)

(side note 2: I didn't press charges, bec the thing was in perfect working order it just wasn't worth the hassle.)

YoMan, Oct 5, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    What happened to your Acronis image? Use it. *Smile

badrobot, Oct 5, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Done and dusted - restored -- now it's working with local account. I'm sure though Ms will have to address the security issue of leaving the email displayed on the lock screen though - especially in a large corporate environment where 100's of people often outside personnel can walk through offices etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 5, 2014
  12. VBS
    VBs Win User
    I would like to think that most enterprises uses windows domain AD users not MS accounts *Smile

At home environment where MS account is used on windows 8.1 I just added windows credentials in credential manager with user name and password to connect to network share.

13. Ms account - Now totally hosed up accross network

In a large corp environment, we have 17k users I think that counts, it does not display email. It displays username and domain information generally like this...

UserName
    Domain\UserName
    [password box]

EvilJenius, Oct 9, 2014
  14. Mystere Win User
    As usual Jimbo, you over react, freak out, and assume the worst... then refuse to listen when people tell you to calm down and explain why your assumptions are incorrect... You have a two-stop process here. First you have to rename it to a different account, then you can rename it back to your original. Good to know something don't change *Wink

By the way this is the same way it works in Windows 8 and 8.1.

The reason for this, is that when you associate the account with the MS account, you are actually keeping your original account.. if you go to Computer Management, and look under Local Users and Groups, you will see the old account still there. Disassocating renames the account, and you can't rename to the same name... so it has to be renamed to something else. Then you can rename it back to the original.

And again, you make more assumptions. Windows already addresses this. When joined to a domain, it does not use the email like that. It will retain the username if the screen is locked, but not when you log off. BTW, you can associate a MS account with a Windows Domain account, and it doesn't quite work the same way either...

Mystere, Oct 10, 2014
  15. RTWFF Win User
    I don't mind the whole MS Account thing because I have three PCs in different apartments (one city: where I live; another city: where I work; yet another city: where I holiday) and I know that when I log on anywhere I'll be up to date everywhere

RTWFF, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Ms account - Now totally hosed up accross network - Similar Threads - account totally hosed

2. Authenticity - Total Recall MS account, Win

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Authenticity - Total Recall MS account, Win: Hi Everyone,All authority "perchance" Microsoft Services access barred ranging from:1. ADMIN account Windows 102. Authenticator disarrayed hence, skew 365Office is perplexed via Outlook/Mail "merging" of accounts .Is there simplified approach from Start to Finish.Tas,Utteson...
  3. Why MS account now?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why MS account now?: After an update for Windows 10, after I get in using my local account password it says "add your microsoft account" There is NO option to bypass this. Any suggestions? So far Mr Google has been no help. No matter what the answers say, there is no fine print that says "use...
  4. Microsoft Account Totally Messed Up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Account Totally Messed Up.: I continually get cards saying my account needs fixing. When I try to go through the procedure it says it has sent me an email to verify my account. It never arrives. Email is correct. There are so many problems with my MS accounts I can neither sign in from another computer...
  5. Network logon hosed up AGAIN after latest update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network logon hosed up AGAIN after latest update: Hi there I can't logon to NAS (Linux) from latest updated Windows 10 (Workstation Edition) any more (works perfectly FROM NAS TO Windows) Shares work if you manually connect via "connect network drive" with IP address but as I'm using DHCP I don't want to have fixed IP...
  6. My user account is hosed yet again....

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My user account is hosed yet again....: Over the past year I have had to re-create my user account at least 10 times for various reasons. This time, edge will not load web pages. I tried to reset the W10 installation to fix it but it didn't work. I found Edge works fine after creating an alternate user account. Why...
  7. MS account removal process terminated and now can add an MS account to

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS account removal process terminated and now can add an MS account to: Odd thing happened to me yesterday. Windows 10 Home. Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.187) I have had both a local and an MS account configured on my pc. And both have worked for some time. Yesterday, I decided to remove my MS account from my pc and just retain the local...
  8. Network Shares not seen with MS account

Network Shares not seen with MS account: I have previously asked for help on an issue I had whereby one of my win 10 comps would not let any other comp see its shares unless the requesting comp had a local login. With a MS login you would get the error 80070035, Path not found. I have spent days (and nights!)...
  9. Oh Dear Ms - You've really hosed Network explorer big time

Oh Dear Ms - You've really hosed Network explorer big time: Hi there. Not sure what's happened here but Network in File explorer seems to be hosed up BIG time after latest update (Retail branch 1511 W10 X64 PRO) 3 Different computers - shows as two with the same name when there should be 3 as per the side panel. Ms please...
  10. Hosed update

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosed update: I have a dual boot set up (Linux + Windows) and my Win 10 partition is hosed since last update. The automatic repair will not accomplish anything and neither will advanced options get me anywhere. However, I can access the documents in the Win10 partition when I boot into...