Windows 10: MS Acct vs Local acct

Discus and support MS Acct vs Local acct in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roger, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Roger Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh

I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password.

What's not to like *Huh

Why is a local account necessary *Huh

:)

Roger, Apr 5, 2015

2. Linking Multiple Computers to MS Account with different local sign-on passwords

Just to make sure I understand. I have two options:

1. Revert computers linked to my MS acct to a local acct and thereby loose the link to my MS Acct

or

2. Have each computer use it's own MS acct and thereby increase my difficulty in managing these computers by requiring me to know the individual MS Acct logons.

Is this understanding correct? I don't particularly like either option.

mediapc707, Apr 5, 2015
  3. Tirgoman Win User
    Microsoft account

Go to setting and then sign in options, you can change the sign from your MS acct to a local acct or to another MS acct. That's for the computer/laptop, If you're using Office 365 you'll have to set her up as a user on your acct if you have Home. He info
    will be separate from hers. Also go into advanced settings in Edge and uncheck 'sync settings'

Tirgoman, Apr 5, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

MS Acct vs Local acct

I log onto my MS account when I install/use Win10/Win8.1. Just the way I roll I guess.

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    That is simply not true.

It is totally, absolutely not possible to use an MS Account without a password, the password always being the one belonging to the email account connected to that MS Account.

A sign in with an MS Account always requires a password. It is of course possible to set Windows to sign in automatically without the need to type the password manually every time, but this does not mean that Windows signs in without a password. Password is there and is needed to sign in but as the user has set Windows to sign in automatically, the system enters it without user interaction. When Windows is locked or user for any reason signs out, the subsequent sign ins are manual and user has to enter to password.

However, if the computer has multiple user accounts, this is not recommended because the automatic sign in can only be used for one user account at any given time. If the User 1 is set to sign in automatically, Windows always enters this user's desktop when the computer is booted or restarted. For User 2 to sign in, you need to either sign out User 1 or use the Switch User feature to let User 2 sign in. In this example scenario User 2 always needs to sign in manually, and User 1 must also enter the password manually when signing back in.

Kari, Apr 5, 2015
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    I don't like having my user account named after my e-mail.

If you were capable of explaining why Microsoft wants everyone to run on a Microsoft account, I could probably tell you why I would not want that.

Saltgrass, Apr 5, 2015
  7. Roger Win User
    I don't know about Microsoft but I like the idea syncing OneDrive, Evernote, Kindle, and Calibre.
    Can you do that with a local account?
    User name............ I use my own name for my email so again "what's not to like"?

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I use an MS Account myself, simply to get the "full Windows Experience" and to use Windows 10 as it is meant to be used. However, apart of syncing your desktop settings and password, there's nothing an MS Account can do but a local can't.

All the apps you mentioned can be synced also using a local account. In fact, using a local account let's you even choose which email to use with each app separately: you can have OneDrive syncing files from L: ThisEmail@Live.com, set XBox App to sync your games and music from email L: ThatOtherEmail@hotmail.com, set the Skype App to use a third MS account and so on.

Kari, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Roger Win User
    OK, that brings up another question....
    What do I gain from my efforts to change to a local account?
    Users are changing to a local account and that takes time and effort. What do I get for my time and effort?

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    That's irrelevant, both account types have their benefits.

I like using the MS Account because in doing so, all my settings like desktop theme, passwords, known WiFi networks and so on are kept in sync on all devices. That's the only thing possible using an MS Account that is not possible with a local account.

A local account user however have more flexibility in the sense that all Modern Apps can be set to use different email addresses (MS Accounts). Set the Mail App to get emails from MS Account 1, the XBox App to sync the games from MS Account 2, the Skype App to use MS Account 3, OneDrive to sync files from MS Account 4. This is not possible with an MS Account.

11. Roger Win User
    Thanks Kari,
    Apparently, in my case I have nothing to gain with a local account.
    Game over! Case closed!

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    I use the image/picture sign in method. It is a great deal easier than the password that I generated.

13. Kari Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

If you don't need your various Windows Apps to be connected to different email accounts, and if you like to sync everything automatically as I do, then yes, the MS Account is the obvious choice for us both and many other users like us.

14. Roger Win User
    I boot the machine and I'm in!
    Are you aware that you can auto-logon?

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  15. Hi

I just want to comment that I do log in using my Microsoft account and my computer boots to the desktop with no password or password screen. It just says Hi Mike and logs in.

In the Run box type...

netplwiz

In the user accounts screen select the account and uncheck the box that says, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

Click Apply

Enter your password twice, I think.

Reboot your computer and it will boot to the desktop with out the password screen.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 5, 2015
Thema:

MS Acct vs Local acct

1. MS Acct vs Local acct - Similar Threads - Acct Local acct

2. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  3. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  4. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  5. MS teams acct setup

MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  6. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  7. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  8. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  9. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  10. How to reactivate with no MS Acct

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate with no MS Acct: Hi Some weeks ago I placed a post on this forum about my husband's PC and unfortunately I did not respond to the two messages that were left. However, now my husband's PC has well and truly died in that the mobo appears to have given up the ghost since doesn't even get to...