Windows 10: MS Acct vs Local acct

Discus and support MS Acct vs Local acct in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For one thing, MS insists on long, complicated passwords. I for one prefer short, easy-to-enter passwords, since my machine is not going to be invaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roger, Apr 5, 2015.

1. NickTh Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

Long and complicated passwords are a suggestion for MS Accounts, because as you understand your machine is not going to be invaded in your own living room, but your MS Account could be invaded from anywhere in the world.
    I use my MS Account not for benefits but because I have it (so why not use it?), but I have set up a PIN number for my machines because my MS Acct PWD is too long and complicated to write all the time.
    Though the future shows another direction now in MS suggestions about passwords. The usage of a PIN , either 4-digits or longer and a second factor authenticator via TPM technology.

NickTh, Apr 6, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

I'm sure MS would like to receive good feedback but they do give the option to opt out of being asked for it.

MS Acct vs Local acct [​IMG]

Now, if you disable Diagnostic Tracking, that would probably p*ss them off! *Wink

Edwin, Apr 6, 2015
  3. doorules Win User
    Never logged in with a MS acct. I don't use Onedrive, Outlook or the Store at all. Never saw the need to login myself.

doorules, Apr 6, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

usasma, Apr 6, 2015
  5. brummyfan Win User
    I don't use most of the stuff supported by MS account, so I don't need an account, I don't use it at all*chuckle

brummyfan, Apr 6, 2015
  6. I always use the MS account

One of the best features for me was I recently go a Windows Tablet, after signing in with my account it asked if I wanted this as a new device or to use settings from my laptop, once the tablet was set up it had the same settings as my laptop all transfered over automatically

paulsalter, Apr 6, 2015
  7. I'd offer more feedback, if it wasn't mandatory to log in to a MS account to do it (or sign up to multiple websites).

As badrobot mentioned, you still get pop-up feedback forms, you just can't offer any feedback.
    I received one the other day and I told them what I think needs to be fixed in File Explorer.

Presumably they still receive telemetry anyway.

lehnerus2000, Apr 6, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

There are extra risks with a Microsoft account - for example if a hacker got your email password, they might be able to change it and lock you out of your computer as well as your email account.

I set up my machine to have an admin-level account for maintenance and a standard level one for day-to-day usage. If someone wanted to use a Microsoft account then my suggestion would be to make that a standard account, and have a local account with admin rights.

DavidY, Apr 6, 2015
  9. NickTh Win User
    I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, Apr 7, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    Sorry but as far as I am concerned it's exactly the opposite. Local account in Windows cannot be two step authenticated, if someone let's say could physically use my computer when I am not present he could try after trying to get in to a local account and although most probably not having any luck (I use quite strong passwords), I would never even know about that.

With an MS Account I have absolutely no worries. I can give you my MS Account email and password and you would still never get in to my account to check my mail, not to speak about into security settings to change my password or other security options. Always on a new browser, one I have not yet verified, or on a new computer, the two step verification jumps in.

Nobody else can sign in to my MS Accounts.

I thought this about MS Account and how to start using the Two Step Verification might interest others, too, so I spent my insomniac night doing this video:

[youtube]uX-LwPs67Fc[/youtube]

Brink's excellent tutorial at our sister site the Eight Forums: Microsoft Account Two Step Verification - Turn On or Off

11. badrobot Win User
    Basically, the main reason I am staying away from MS account is because of all the scanning and syncing that it does by itself. Security is not one of my reasons.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    Could you please enlighten and educate me and tell what does it "scan and sync by itself" if you do not enable OneDrive file sync and disable everything in PC Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings?

Even then the MS Account beats a local account 6 to 0, mostly due the added security through two step verification. Not to mention how easy it is then to turn on / enable just those sync options I'd like to be enabled, leaving everything unwanted disabled.

13. Edwin New Member

MS Acct vs Local acct

I find syncing great when I add my MS Account after a clean install, I don't have to tweak anything except for a few reg tweaks.

Edwin, Apr 7, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    Me too. I install Windows, create a local account, update Windows, then convert the local admin account to MS Account. A bonus: This way the profile folder gets the name I want to ( in my case); creating the account as MS Account often names the profile folder with "female logics", with some but confusing logics *Wink, for instance the user L: Vladimir.Obama@TheEmail.net could get the profile folder named as VladimirO or VladimirOb, in worst case VladimirO-ComputerName.

15. badrobot Win User
    I am not using any of the apps from Win Store. However, there are default apps pre-installed and it keeps scanning for updates and whatnot. I don't wanna go uninstalling each of those apps individually or disable them. Since I am not using any them, I just get out of my MS Account. For apps related stuff, I just use my Windows Phone which I carry all the time even when I am using my PC.

Security is another thing and not everyone have the same preferences and needs when it comes to that topic.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015
Thema:

MS Acct vs Local acct

1. MS Acct vs Local acct - Similar Threads - Acct Local acct

2. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  3. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  4. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  5. MS teams acct setup

MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  6. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  7. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  8. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  9. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  10. How to reactivate with no MS Acct

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate with no MS Acct: Hi Some weeks ago I placed a post on this forum about my husband's PC and unfortunately I did not respond to the two messages that were left. However, now my husband's PC has well and truly died in that the mobo appears to have given up the ghost since doesn't even get to...