Windows 10: MS Acct vs Local acct

Discus and support MS Acct vs Local acct in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There is a downside with a local account. If you want applications like Calendar to work, you need a MS account. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roger, Apr 5, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

There is a downside with a local account. If you want applications like Calendar to work, you need a MS account.

2. That's ridiculous.
    *Doh

lehnerus2000, Apr 17, 2015
  3. Kari Win User
    What? It is ridiculous that an app with its main function being sync your calendar online so that it can be used on any device without a need to add appointments and reminders separately on each calendar requires an online account? It is as much ridiculous as to complain that to use the Mail App you need an email account.

There are plenty of alternatives in the store, free calendar apps you can download and install on a local account in Windows 10. There's also a free Gmail Calendar app, as you know a Google account is God sent whereas the similar account from MS is Devil's tool, so why not simply install the Gmail Calendar?

A few rhetorical questions to those "Let's see what evil we can find today in Microsoft's free services" geeks: How many of you have an Android or iOS device? Why is it that although both of them constantly "call home" and they are almost impossible to use without a Gmail account or an Apple ID, you have no objections to that? What is the difference, how on earth is it OK, acceptable and not an issue that in order to really use your Android device, you need to use a Gmail account, but at the same time when in Windows the choice is there, you can decide if you want to use an MS account or not, it's the Worst Thing Ever Heard?

Interesting though how it seems that you are running out of weapons. Complaining about an online service requiring an online account? What next?

4. WHS
    whs Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

It is ridiculous. I have 2 friends in the neighborhood for whom I made a local installation (of W8.1). They now want to use the Calendar and some other apps and need a MS account for that. These guys have 1 PC and no other gear. What the hell shall they sync - their toaster oven?

5. Kari Win User
    And what is the issue? Why would it be such an agony to create an MS Account? If they already use email and have an address, using the existing email, or if they don't have any email address get one free from the MS.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree,, I just set up a Hotmail account a while back and I really never use it for anything other than logging into Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. It's not like MS is collecting any more information than other email services do and I really don't get any spam in my Hotmail account.. YMMV

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 17, 2015
  7. If it only works when you are connected to the Internet, then it is almost useless.

I have a local calendar.
    It keeps track of my reminders even if the Internet is down.

I don't own any devices of that type.

A phone service at least has the (feeble) excuse that it needs to know when you are connected to the network in case you need to ... you know ... send or receive phone calls.

8. Wynona Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I've had a Hotmail account since (who knows when!) and as you say, Microsoft doesn't collect any more info that other providers do. I also have an @live email addy as well.

My life is so simplified that I don't need a calendar . . . my husband is my calendar! I just ask him when my next appointment is and he tells me. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 17, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    LOL.. Erin does the same for me.. oh and I have Desktop ICalendar Lite..

BunnyJ, Apr 17, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    No. it only needs connection when setting up.

11. Well that is a "different kettle of fish". *Smile

12. WHS
    whs Win User
    It is just the point. Why is there a requirement for an MS account to use a calendar. It just does not make sense. Same for the other apps.

13. MS Acct vs Local acct

MS needs to know everything, otherwise they can't compete with Google.

This scene from "Yes, Prime Minister" covers it.
    IMDB - "Yes, Prime Minister" Man Overboard (TV Episode 1987)
    Quotes from "Yes, Prime Minister: Man Overboard"

lehnerus2000, Apr 18, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    MS Acct vs Local acct [​IMG]
    Note Please notice this post is just general observations and represents my personal opinion. I am not talking about any individuals.

Sometimes some comments and remarks about Microsoft's services, operating systems and software in general and Windows in particular made by some very senior users are just plain stupid, and as in this Local Account vs. MS Account clearly only made for the sake of objection itself. "I detest the change, therefore this feature is bad".

As have been made really clear by Microsoft and been told in several threads and posts here and around the Internet, it is fully possible to use Windows 8 and later operating systems with a local account with none whatsoever online services enabled by default. Using Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 with a local account gives you about the same computing experience as Windows 7: you can use exactly the same software you used in Windows 7, in exactly the same way you used it in Windows 7.

If you as a local account user don't want to sign up for a free MS Account or use your existing MS Account in Windows 8 or later, don't do it. Use the same calendar you used in Windows 7, use the same email client you used, use the same online storage. Really, instead of complaining that as a local account user you don't get the same services as an MS Account user, why don't you just decide: if you are not willing to use an MS Account, of course you cannot use the services designed and made for it.

For heaven's sake, grown up people complaining "Why can't I use this online and / or cloud service without signing in with an email address!". In Finnish we have an saying "The train left already, sadly some people missed it". It applies now. Use of the brain is not only allowed but also greatly recommended.

This is really getting ridiculous. What next? I give you geeks a few tips for next complaint topics, these are about as intelligent and valid complaints as your MS account complaints:

- Why do I need to give my credit card number when I pay something online with it?
    - Why do I have to give an email address when I sign up for Twitter and Facebook?
    - Why can't I use my friends post address to send him money from PayPal, couldn't PayPal just put the money in the envelope and send it?
    - When dual booting Linux and Windows, why can't I sign in to my Windows with my Linux user credentials?
    - Why do Australians celebrate Xmas in the mid summer?

Pick a topic from a list and let's start, judging by the arguments you are using in Local vs. MS Account discussion I am sure you can find a lot of reasons to complain about any of the topics I listed.

15. Cliff S New Member
    Good *justified* rant Kari!*Roflmao2

Cliff S, Apr 18, 2015
Thema:

MS Acct vs Local acct

1. MS Acct vs Local acct - Similar Threads - Acct Local acct

2. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  3. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  4. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  5. MS teams acct setup

MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  6. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  7. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  8. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  9. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  10. How to reactivate with no MS Acct

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate with no MS Acct: Hi Some weeks ago I placed a post on this forum about my husband's PC and unfortunately I did not respond to the two messages that were left. However, now my husband's PC has well and truly died in that the mobo appears to have given up the ghost since doesn't even get to...