Windows 10: MS Acct vs Local acct

Discus and support MS Acct vs Local acct in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Spot on Kari, questions like that always gives me a chuckle. I have a friend that always thinks that everything, almost everything has to be the way he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roger, Apr 5, 2015.

1. CountMike New Member

MS Acct vs Local acct

Spot on Kari, questions like that always gives me a chuckle. I have a friend that always thinks that everything, almost everything has to be the way he thinks should be done. Not even explanations why something is as it is don't satisfy him but he's subscribed to every conspiracy theory out there. He's pretty intelligent and smart but thinking that way stops him from knowing and and accepting anything that does not coincide with his way of thinking.

CountMike, Apr 18, 2015
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

@Kari, thank you. I have wanted to say just what you said for a long time, albeit my problem is my brain isn't capable of that type of reasoning anymore. . .*Thumbs

3. Kari Win User
    I was just feeling a bit frustrated, this fight against pseudo facts and purposely misinterpreted and falsely presented twisted facts, objection for the sake of objection itself, fear of change and evolution in computing, it's taking its toll on me.

It really looks like if the "opposing forces" are intentionally trying to hide the fact that none of the changes in Windows since Windows 7 do not mean they have to learn a new way to use their computers, apart a few minor changes like instead of running Windows Update from Control Panel, you ran it from the PC Settings. Same software is still working, same methods still apply, computer can still be used in the same way. I have even proven that if you come from the XP, you can keep your apps and settings and run your Windows 10 almost as if it was your old reliable Windows XP.

As always, the decision has been left to user him/herself: You don't like MS Account and what it can give you? No problems, use a local account, use your computer exactly as you are used to.

4. Cliff S New Member

MS Acct vs Local acct

The biggest complaint I see in the forums about this, is that people want to hide the driver updates(being the video driver and Realtek from MS break) and with the new UI one can't. For $h#?$ & Giggles I was looking at the Win10 Instructional Videos (the one on cloud free Windows) and when you were installing you chose Yes I want updates for drivers and icons... one only has to not check it then or uncheck later here, like we could for many years :

MS Acct vs Local acct [​IMG]

Like what's the big deal*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 18, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    Because even if you uncheck that option at installation time, Windows 10 ignores your preference and attempts to install the dodgy drivers (Realtek in my case) regardless.

DavidY, Apr 18, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks for the info David, I didn't know that. I don't have that problem because 10TP is set to not download updates on a metered connection (also regardless of my settings/hacks*Sad). My driver problems were OEM Windows 8(the windows embedded drivers were good enough)

Cliff S, Apr 18, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Kari, you made some nice talks defending the 'new world'. I have no problem with that. But can you please explain to me why I can run e.g. Movie Maker or Office with a local account, but not calendar (assume the user has 1 PC and that's all he has).

I have no problem with change and I have probably changed operating systems more often than any of you. But when things are not logical, then I have a problem.

I picked the calendar example because the person that wanted to use it cannot use the calendar from Windows 7 any more - it is not supported in 8.1 or 10. The realities are not always as simple as one may think. I myself can care less because I use a paper calendar on my desk, LOL.

8. CountMike New Member

MS Acct vs Local acct

I suspect the calendar as well as some other Apps are tied to OneDrive and stuff like that has to be synchronized thru MS account because it's provided by them.

CountMike, Apr 18, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    The calendar is an excellent example.

The way the Calendar app works in Windows 8 and later needs an account. It might be that you never need or want to share your calendar, you might never need a possibility to access it from any other device than your home PC, but, believe it or not, quite a many users (majority, in fact) need these features at least occasionally.

As I mentioned earlier, the local account in Windows 8 and later allows you to use your PC almost as if it were Windows 7. There are some changes which you either accept and adapt, or migrate to Mac or Linux. I mentioned earlier Windows Update being one of these changes, the Calendar is another. (By the way, migrating to Mac you need an Apple ID so if being against MS Account is the reason to migrate, Mac is not a viable option.)

If the MS Account really is so big devil that you really do not even consider using one, there's always other options. Type free Windows calendar to Bing and you can choose from a plethora of alternatives. Here a few samples: Five free but powerful desktop calendars - TechRepublic.

I am totally unable to see the issue here. It really is up to you, the user to decide. Accept and adapt the changes. Use new Windows with legacy type (yes, legacy!) user account if you are refusing to harness the full power of Windows, replace the apps needing an online account with desktop apps which do not require it. If even this is not for you, get a Mac if your budget allows and those with less to use, download a free Linux distro.

Or, if you really think it through and can finally understand that starting to use an MS Account does not mean your PC is constantly calling home telling your every keystroke, be clever and sign up for an MS Account if you don't already have one. Using your existing third party email address to create the MS Account, you will never ever get a single email to the inbox of the MS Account, you continue using your 3rd party email as before. You don't have to use that account in any other place than just signing in to your PC.

Did I forget to mention that not only do you get the fine Calendar app working, but also free OneDrive storage plus Excel, PowerPoint and Word for free (online versions)?

Thema:

MS Acct vs Local acct

1. MS Acct vs Local acct - Similar Threads - Acct Local acct

2. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  3. Win 11 local acct. with no password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 local acct. with no password?: I've checked a few online suggestions but I've not found a place in settings yet that shows "sign in without password" or similar wording. On a windows 11 local account. When I follow step by step instructs from web suggestions what they show from window to window is not...
  4. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  5. MS teams acct setup

MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  6. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  7. Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic

Sign in Pic vs MS Email Acct Pic: I noticed when I started using hotmail that I had a pic attached to email that I did not authorize but the pix that was on my sign in page disappeared no picand I have not figured out how to put a pic back on the sign in page whereas the profile email pic remains. Has this...
  8. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  9. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  10. How to reactivate with no MS Acct

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate with no MS Acct: Hi Some weeks ago I placed a post on this forum about my husband's PC and unfortunately I did not respond to the two messages that were left. However, now my husband's PC has well and truly died in that the mobo appears to have given up the ghost since doesn't even get to...