Windows 10: MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps....

Discus and support MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps.... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As per the title, I'm having constant Issues with Windows Auto Updates corrupting my PC due to it performing updates whilst data erasure Apps are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlM8, Jan 9, 2019.

1. AlM8 Win User

MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps....

As per the title, I'm having constant Issues with Windows Auto Updates corrupting my PC due to it performing updates whilst data erasure Apps are running. Every few months I have to re-install Windows on my desktop.

Isn't it time MS gave advanced users the ability to turn off auto checking / downloading / installing and let advanced users manage these updates themselves?

I'm going to be forced to switch all of my pc's over to Apple if this continues, which I don't really want to do.

One way of giving control to advanced users would be allow auto checking / downloading / installing to be turned off by command line as an administrator only. I'm sure command line especially run as admin, would be beyond joe average who buys a pc for email, word or playing basic games. Whilst allowing advanced users and serious gamers to choose to check for and install updates manually.

The scenario that constantly breaks my desktop pc that MS haven't allowed for with auto updates is as follows:

Secure Erasing of Data

Many people who either work in data sensitive employments or are home users who are security aware, periodically run secure erase Apps such as East Tec Eraser. The problem here is Windows Update conflicts with these Apps as these Apps automatically reboot once the Windows based erasure process is finished to erase locked data in DOS when the PC restarts giving themselves access to files that are locked by the system whilst Windows is running. The issue here is they reboot the pc without warning at the end of the Windows based erasure procedure.

In the meantime, Windows Update will have been downloading an enforced Windows Update in the background. As the PC reboots under the Data Erasure Procedure (something that cannot be stopped once the reboot has started), Windows also announces "Do not turn off your pc whilst Windows is installing updates", again this cannot be stopped because in both instances the pc is already in the shut down screen.

So Windows Update partially installs the updates, then the Secure Eraser App reboots the PC, at which point Windows continues installing the updates. Problem is, the secure data eraser is programmed to also run at this point and delete any temporary files etc it cannot get access to whilst Windows is running. So you have a scenario where Windows is trying to install updates, no doubt using temporary files and data it has created and at the same time, the Security App is deleting some of these files thereby corrupting the installation process!!!

The result is Windows reboots to desktop, and you then start to realise over time a whole host of processes are no longer working properly. eg after the last Windows Update, I found on my keyboard in any internet browser, the £ sign is replaced by " and # is replaced by the ". Many of the links in Windows Admin no longer work but come up as invalid paths, there's no Windows Backup history so no way of rolling the pc back etc.

Come on MS, this type of issue should be foreseeable - that advanced users might be running apps that reboot the pc automatically and erase or alter data files on reboot.

It's time to give advanced users back control of Windows Update.

It's neither reasonable or fair to expect users to have to re-install Windows EVERY time there's a Windows update, which is inevitably what happens.

:)

AlM8, Jan 9, 2019
  2. AMDCam Win User

Windows Installer Corrupted

Hey, well a couple days ago I installed "Microsoft Update" over Windows Update, and WOW is that a great app, not only can it not update anything, but it corrupted my Windows Installer. Well since Windows XP knows better than me, I redownloaded Windows Installer 3.0 redistributable, and SWEET, Windows says "it's older than the current version, no update is necessary" and not only necessary but not possible to install. SOOOO should I reinstall SP2 or what? This is crazy. Thanks for the help

AMDCam, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Microsoft Auto-Updates Components of Windows Without User Permission

The nine files that are updated all have to do with the Auto-Updater itself.
    The article lists them all. No big deal.

I run auto-update anyway, so BRING ON THE NEW UPDATES !!!
    I have yet to experience any problems from MS updates on my XP network.

Kreij, Jan 9, 2019
  4. MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps....

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps....

1. MS Auto Updates Constantly Corrupt my Windows Installation due to clashes with other Apps.... - Similar Threads - Auto Updates Constantly

2. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  3. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  4. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to stop MS auto-installing Office App

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to stop MS auto-installing Office App: Several times a day I get a popup of the new Office App, asking me to "sign up for free!" to MS Office. I don't want Office, I've never installed it on this PC relatively new install, and I've tried uninstalling the Office App many times. How can I stop MS from pushing...
  6. Windows update not completing installation due to file corruption issues

Windows update not completing installation due to file corruption issues: I am facing multiple problems with my Windows, I feel all is because of my windows update is not installing completely. Problems I am facing below 1: When I press windows start button nothing happens. 2: When I click on volume icon it says detecting problems. 3: When I...
  7. Windows update auto-restart corrupted my database

Windows update auto-restart corrupted my database: This isn't really a question, more of a rant. Today I was working on an Access 2019 database and had several forms, queries, etc. open. Windows update wanted to restart but I told it to wait. I went away from the computer for a few hours and discovered it had restarted. Now...
  8. Windows Will Not Update Due To a Corrupted Registry

Windows Will Not Update Due To a Corrupted Registry: I have been unable to update windows for quite some time as a result of a corrupted registry. Each time the pc tries to update it just gives me an error code for corrupted registry. I have tried to replace the corrupted registry with the backup but it still does not work. I...
  9. Auto app updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto app updates: How do auto updates work in the store? I noticed when I went into it there were some updates showing for things like calculator and one note. The progress bar indicated they were fully downloaded but they didn't seem to be disappearing from the list or installing themselves....
  10. Printers clash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printers clash: I have two printers, a Brother label printer and an Epson general office printer/scanner, connected to my desktop computer by USB. Until recently, there was no problem, but suddenly they started to clash. If printer A has been used, printer B will not work unless I turn...