Windows 10: Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only

Discus and support Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi there Ms will now only provide Office /365 when both Office 2019 and Office 2016 expire in 2025. OK that's a long time away -- who knows if Ms... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, Oct 8, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only

Hi there

Ms will now only provide Office /365 when both Office 2019 and Office 2016 expire in 2025. OK that's a long time away -- who knows if Ms won't have been swallowed up by Amazon, Alibaba, Google or whatever by then. !!

They readily admit they can make more money from recurring payments (i.e subscriptions) than selling a product. If "Leasing" was a bad business model (for businesses doing the leasing) then one has to ask why are so many businesses involved in leasing models -- e.g car leasing, aircraft leasing etc.

In the short term it makes sense -- you save capital etc and you might only want the product for a short time but in the long term it will always cost the Lessee i.e the person who leases the product more than by buying outright --just look at typical mobile phone contracts - average monthly stuff goes on long after you've paid for the handset -- the EU is finally getting in on this case that contracts should be reduced in price once the handset has been paid off. !!

The Office bit is particularly interesting as Ms will hobble any new stuff to Office 2019 and 2016 and after the expiry date it won't connect to any of their exchange servers.

For my own part - there's almost zero innovations in an office suite that I really need -- I don't need special panels - email to boss / group etc or add Instagram or whatever. The only thing I've found that I like is the pivot table extra stuff in EXCEL 2019 but there again I can easily manage without that.

As for Word and powerpoint - what does one really need "new features" for - they can all incorporate stuff from other parts of the office suite easily enough and making presentations on youtube etc can be added too if you need -- even to Office 2010.

As for email -- I'd have been quite happy with the old outlook express from XP days -- nothing wrong with it !! - and each office update with those automatic set up of email servers makes it actually harder to set up email if you have anything other than a bog standard email address with a known ISP server on Ms's database.

Woe betide you if you are hosting your own domains with your own email servers etc.

So I run now Outlook 2010 on some machines and Outlook 2019 on another (since I have a work license).

When that disappears I'm quite happy to stick with Outlook (and Office) 2010 until I drop dead - and if Windows won't run it any more I'll just keep it on a version of Windows that runs on a VM (Virtual Machine) - which will work until the end of the Universe. !!

To much "feature- itus" coming from Ms now -- just give us clean basic uncluttered OS and office suite without all this "collaboration, send mail to boss etc B/S". Once you can add multi-media to email it's simple anyway -- even Office 2010 allows attach file.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2018
  2. cereberus Win User

Free MS Office Alternative

You can run simplified cloud versions of MS office from any pc.

cereberus, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Time to update MS Office

A useful rule of thumb: buy MS products from MS.

And there's no cheap way. It is free for mobile devices/tablets but with limitations.

Subscription version of the suite (Office 365 Personal) is about £60/$70 per year which kinda sucks.

I was talking about 2016 btw

Drone, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only

Time to update MS Office

I won't argue with the knowing where everything is. But I do enjoy a lot of the new additions from 2007 and later.

I won't ever go the way of the subscription based version. That's why I've avoided 365.

When I got my copy of 2003, it was right after 2007 released. I got a Student copy of 2003 off newegg for cheap - was around $50. I was hoping I could find something similar with 2010. I don't expect to find anything real cheap for 2013, but I want to keep my options open.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions so far.

neatfeatguy, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only

1. Ms confirms - eventually Office to be subscription only - Similar Threads - confirms eventually Office

2. Office subscription

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office subscription: I am writing to address one really annoying thing I've encountered with my Office for Students subscription. Despite purchasing the subscription with my Microsoft account, I've found that I am only able to use it on one device at a time. This limitation presents a significant...
  3. Office subscription

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office subscription: I am writing to address one really annoying thing I've encountered with my Office for Students subscription. Despite purchasing the subscription with my Microsoft account, I've found that I am only able to use it on one device at a time. This limitation presents a significant...
  4. Windows upgrade to 11 removes MS OFFICE subscription if it is given by the px

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows upgrade to 11 removes MS OFFICE subscription if it is given by the px: I have a 365 subscription since i got a new win 10 PC. If upgrade to windows 11, will it be there or not? Pic of th product is here: if it will be if it wil be removed, how to reactivate?...
  5. Office 365 subscription changed to MS Office Pro Plus 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 subscription changed to MS Office Pro Plus 2016: After upgrading to 20152.1 my Office 365 has changed to MS Office Pro Plus 2016 and is requiring activation If I select Change license option then my valid MS Office 365 license is presented but nothing appears to happen when I select it and click next (it stays as MS Office...
  6. MS Office subscription on multiple computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Office subscription on multiple computers: I have a subscription to MS Office on my laptop... how do I get copies for my desktop computer? Do I have to buy them again? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-subscription-on-multiple-computers/d813f1af-1690-4e11-b1a3-a4ca2834a0d2
  7. office subscription

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    office subscription: I have an Office 365 Personal subscription, but have an option displayed on my subscription information page to install the app, I am having trouble discerning if I am using the version I have subscribed to...
  8. office 365 subscription

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    office 365 subscription: Can I install Office 365 to both a PC and a Mac computer? I understand that it can be installed on 5 devices. Is it right? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/office-365-subscription/a84ea69b-5dcb-41eb-86d1-fbebfcd5396c
  9. Office subscription

Office subscription: OK boys can you help me out here. I've received the email today about the renewal for my subscription to Office 365. We can't afford it especially as we only really use Excel with the occasional use of Word, although I use OneNote quite a bit. When I took it out I got a...
  10. Office 2016 -- Buy Now only links to Office 365 (subscription)

Office 2016 -- Buy Now only links to Office 365 (subscription): Hi there will office 2016 be available as a stand alone (non subscription) product for non corporate users. If I follow my link to Buy Now from the trial preview it only offers me Office 365 or Office 2013. I'm NOT interested in subscription software or Office 2013....