Windows 10: MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner

Discus and support MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've read advice on the Web to scan new files for malware. The same article--seemingly supported by Microsoft, athttps://ishort.ink/e8Ju--says that for... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Odin99, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Odin99 Win User

MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner

I've read advice on the Web to scan new files for malware. The same article--seemingly supported by Microsoft, athttps://ishort.ink/e8Ju--says that for those like me who have no other antivirus, MS Defender always scans files before they're opened. So it appears that [1] I don't have to worry about scanning new downloads, since they'll be scanned automatically, and also that [2] using MS Safety Scanner would be redundant. Do you agree?

:)

Odin99, Jul 12, 2020

2. MS Safety Scanner & Windows Defender not removing Virus: Win32/Ramnit.A

I dunno how you were able to run the MS Safety Scanner since it's not supported in Win10 (or Win8.1). That being said...

1. Was AVG Free installed when you upgraded to Win10?

2. Did AVG and/or Windows Defender and/or possibly Windows Defender Offline detect
    Virus: Win32/Ramnit.A?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Paul 1955 Win User
    Windows Defender compared with MS Safety Scanner Compared with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

I wonder if I could have a bit of advice as to what if any the above tools have over one another.

Firstly, it sounds like MS Safety Scanner would "cover all" by it's description however it uses the same Definitions as Windows Defender so what is the advantages of Safety Scanner to exist in addition to running Defender "on demand". Is there more aggressive
    programming in Safety Scanner ?

Added to my question is the fact that Windows Defender has "Cloud based protection" & "Automatic Sampling" which Safety Scanner hasn't.

So would just like to know what the advantages are of one over the other.

Secondly, is a comparison with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. The description says : removes the most prevalent threats

For Safety Scanner the description says :

provides full, comprehensive on-demand antimalware scans. It offers robust offline scan and cleanup capabilities. However, it does not provide real-time and cloud-based protection available with Windows Defender Antivirus.
    Safety Scanner covers both prevalent and less notable threats. It is recommended as a more robust alternative to MSRT.

On that description why use MSRT at all ? However how can Safety Scanner provide "Full, comprehensive on demand scans" when a full scan using MSRT (commandline /F:Y) scan in excess of 2,900,000 files whereas Safety Scanner only scans approx. 1,650,000
    files ??? in the same circumstances.

Thanks

Paul

Paul 1955, Jul 12, 2020
  4. MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner

MS Safety Scanner & Windows Defender not removing Virus: Win32/Ramnit.A

Answer-by-number:

1. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

2. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

3. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

5. Did choose to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (vs. MS Safety Scanner) manually for some reason?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
      key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner

1. MS Defender vs. MS Safety Scanner - Similar Threads - Defender Safety Scanner

2. MS Safety Scanner Confusing Results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Safety Scanner Confusing Results: I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner MSERT.While it was scanning it said there were 97 infected files. When it was done it said there were no infected files. Does that mean it removed them? How do I Know what/where they were?...
  3. MS Safety Scanner Confusing Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Safety Scanner Confusing Results: I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner MSERT.While it was scanning it said there were 97 infected files. When it was done it said there were no infected files. Does that mean it removed them? How do I Know what/where they were?...
  4. Microsoft Safety Scanner vs Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner vs Microsoft Defender: Is running a full scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool the same as running a full scan with Microsoft Defender? Part of my current routine is to run full scans via Defender. But I'm wondering if I should add the Safety Scanner tool to my routine and periodically run it...
  5. Microsoft Safety Scanner vs Microsoft Defender

Microsoft Safety Scanner vs Microsoft Defender: Is running a full scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool the same as running a full scan with Microsoft Defender? Part of my current routine is to run full scans via Defender. But I'm wondering if I should add the Safety Scanner tool to my routine and periodically run it...
  6. Microsoft Safety Scanner vs Microsoft Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. scanner MS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    scanner MS: HiWhen scan is done dont know where to find the results never can findThank youTIMMY 2 TOES shows 2 infections https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanner-ms/bf329997-14e9-4654-91d3-0af829dab548
  8. scanner MS

scanner MS: HiWhen scan is done dont know where to find the results never can findThank youTIMMY 2 TOES shows 2 infections https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanner-ms/bf329997-14e9-4654-91d3-0af829dab548
  9. MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS safety scanner reporting false positive?: Every week or so I run the MS Safety Scanner. It always finds the following:virtool:win32?defender/tamper restore. What seems to be really odd is no other security software finds this item. I have installed McAfee Total protection, SuperAnti Spyware, and MalwareBytes. McAfee...
  10. MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

MS safety scanner reporting false positive?: Every week or so I run the MS Safety Scanner. It always finds the following:virtool:win32?defender/tamper restore. What seems to be really odd is no other security software finds this item. I have installed McAfee Total protection, SuperAnti Spyware, and MalwareBytes. McAfee...