Windows 10: MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365

Discus and support MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has announced radical changes to its OneDrive cloud storage service, ending unlimited storage for Office 365 users. Free storage is also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by paulsalter, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365

More info below

https://blogs.office.com/2015/11/02/onedrive_changes/

:)

paulsalter, Nov 2, 2015

2. Lumia 640 and 30GB OneDrive promotion

Just a really speculative wild guess here

On 02/11/2015 Microsoft.com made some far reaching announcements

Your phone is / was sitting in a box until recently

So I am wondering as it is AFTER
    the 15GB to 5GB Cloud cut et el announcement anything over 15GB STANDARD simply won't be honoured?

Hence the highlighted comment above I may be wrong

Microsoft has announced radical changes to its
    OneDrive
    cloud
    storage
    service, ending unlimited storage for

Office 365
    users. Free storage is also being decreased from 15GB to 5GB for all users. The reason for the scaling back of storage comes after Microsoft found that a few customers were using up to 75TB of cloud storage
    from a single account:

Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this
    exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average.

These are the changes prescribed by Microsoft:

• We're no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

• 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.

• Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.

The Redmond giant has mentioned that

customers
      that exceed the new quotas will have access to their files for at least 12 months, following which it will scale back the storage:

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office 365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To learn more visit the FAQ.

• If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year
      Office 365 - Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
    Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.

Microsoft has additional information regarding the changes

here
    . What do you guys think of the upcoming changes to OneDrive? Will you continue using the service?

Philip Anderson's Mother's Son, Nov 2, 2015
  3. GordonB-P Win User
    So, if I cancel my Windows Office does my one drive get erased and all my photos are gone?

I think there's some misconception here. A OneDrive account doesn't depend on an Office subscription - the amount of free storage does.

If you have an Office 365 subscription then you get a free 1TB of OneDrive space.

Otherwise, you get 5GB free as standard, which you can upgrade by paying for more space instead of having an Office 365 subscription.

You can purchase 50GB of storage for £1.99 per month...otherwise the prices for 1TB are the same as an Office 365 subscription.

HTH

GordonB-P, Nov 2, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365

Now that stinks.. thank goodness there's other places like Google drive.

BunnyJ, Nov 2, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    That is terrible news - especially cutting the free storage from 30GB (with camera roll) to 5GB.

Thanks for the heads up.

lx07, Nov 2, 2015
  6. It's the free 30GB down to 5GB which is a shame
    Many people have been using Onedrive to put there music collection on there (linked into Groove), now if they have more than 5GB of music they will have to pay for storage

paulsalter, Nov 2, 2015
  7. this is all i needed to know to conclude google drive is much better than onedrive, M$ always cheats, I wonder what they can do with windows 10 we don't know yet, just in case there are more M$ surprises I found my Windows 7 DVD and prepared latest ubuntu on a pendrive

scandal1981, Nov 2, 2015
  8. Fafhrd Win User

Fafhrd, Nov 2, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Worth making sure you are over 5GB by EOY if you don't already own office then *Smile

lx07, Nov 2, 2015
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Free users who are over 5 GB of storage and thus affected by this change can claim a free 1-year subscription to Office 365 Personal*.

*Credit card required and subscription will automatically renew. Cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount.

Fafhrd, Nov 2, 2015
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Nowhere seems to mention my 10 GB loyalty bonus - do I get to keep that?

Fafhrd, Nov 2, 2015
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Now that Microsoft knows all about each individual user, why can't they just dump the 75TB of stored files back to the owners in a personalized Windows Update - that'd teach 'em! *Biggrin

Fafhrd, Nov 2, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Not really clear is it?

Maybe. "The storage you have as part of other promotions is not affected by this change."

14. BillyBob Win User
    Sounds fair to me.

BillyBob, Nov 2, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    I can upload only 3 GB a day - it would take me over 70 years to upload 75TB.

Thema:

1. MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365 - Similar Threads - Downgrades free Onedrive

2. MS Office 365

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS Office 365: I'm retiring a computer. How do I remove Office 365 and the install it on a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-365/004b38c1-8c97-49ec-938a-1da98683a7a0
  3. MS Office 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Office 365: I'm retiring a computer. How do I remove Office 365 and the install it on a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-365/004b38c1-8c97-49ec-938a-1da98683a7a0
  4. MS Office 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Office 365 - CCTV Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 365 - CCTV Storage: I have a CCTV camera and it is suggesting that I join Cloud Storage. Can I use Office 365 as i subscribe, instead, FOC ? if so how do I do it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-cctv-storage/1892a4c1-0d1d-4861-ac26-ca4ead40b22a
  6. MS office 365

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS office 365: I have MS 365 puchased and installed but today could not open and edit word files from desktop. getting a message, i need MS 365 subscription to edit and save I had no issues till last week...
  7. Ms must be getting desperate Free Office/365 trials

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Ms must be getting desperate Free Office/365 trials: Hi folks Have had a flood of messages from Ms (email etc) begging me to take a "Free Month's trial of Office/365". I'm happy with the "heavily discounted" version of Office 2019 I have -- seems that their subscription model isn't generating them as much cash as they hoped...
  8. MS Office 365 and MS Office online.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 365 and MS Office online.: Are there any advantages to using MS Office online, if you have a 365 account. Besides the 1TB of space. Gort 142047
  9. Office 365 storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office 365 storage: I am an Office 365 subscriber but never got the 1 T storage. Who do I inform/How do I get it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-storage/f736b538-eaac-4764-bc3d-3b02e04a4fee"
  10. OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365: Today, storage limits just became a thing of the past with Office 365. Moving forward, all Office 365 customers will get unlimited OneDrive storage at no additional cost. We’ve started rolling this out today to Office 365 Home, Personal, and University customers. The roll out...