Windows 10: MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option

Discus and support MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Edge will not open PDF files in a browser window but forces them to be saved to disk. How can this problem be corrected?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Home-Vincent Andolina, Feb 21, 2024.

1. MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option

Edge will not open PDF files in a browser window but forces them to be saved to disk. How can this problem be corrected?

:)

Home-Vincent Andolina, Feb 21, 2024

2. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Feb 21, 2024
  3. Wynona Win User
    change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

Have you set your default PDF reader to Nuance Power PDF Advanced?

Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default apps by file type>scroll down to .pdf on the left side of your screen, then click on the default app (most likely Edge). A list of available PDF reading apps should show up . . . click on your Nuance PDF reader and select it as your default. As you can see, I use Adobe Reader. *Smile

MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option 200700d1535136747t-change-default-pdf-viewer-ms-edge-pdfs-opened-portals-pdf.png

MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option 200701d1535136767t-change-default-pdf-viewer-ms-edge-pdfs-opened-portals-pdf2.png

Wynona, Feb 21, 2024
  4. dalchina Win User

MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option

change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

I think your difficulty lies in using Edge, rather than another more general browser. For example:
    Windows 10: How do I open PDF links in Edge so they are displayed by Adobe? - Windows Central Forums

- suggests it can't be done in the case of Edge - but that of course is just one view.

If you were to use a different browser, you would be able to have hyperlink pdf's open in your default reader.

Always worth more research..

Look at how Edge handles extensions differently- only from the Store. So no possibility of a 3rd party reader adding a pdf reader extension.

dalchina, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option

1. MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option - Similar Threads - Edge default handling

2. MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Edge default handling of PDFs save to disk is only option: Edge will not open PDF files in a browser window but forces them to be saved to disk. How can this problem be corrected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-edge-default-handling-of-pdfs-save-to-disk-is/b6dcdfa2-b56e-492c-958a-fa0ef92148e0
  3. Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot: Title. This started two days ago. As far as I can tell nothing changed on the machine between Tuesday and Wednesday to make that happen. Changing my default browser every boot is annoying, but at least Firefox prompts to be made default again. It's a HUGE pain with PDFs,...
  4. MS AX - PDFs disappear after saving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS AX - PDFs disappear after saving: Good morning,I am using Microsoft AX to create PDF files of information that I need to email to my people outside the office.When I use AX, I create the file as a PDF inside AX. Then I save the file to my desktop. When I am saving, the PDF file shows up in the save window....
  5. MS AX - PDFs disappear after saving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS AX - PDFs disappear after saving: Good morning,I am using Microsoft AX to create PDF files of information that I need to email to my people outside the office.When I use AX, I create the file as a PDF inside AX. Then I save the file to my desktop. When I am saving, the PDF file shows up in the save window....
  6. MS AX - PDFs disappear after saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. MS Edge saved passwords.

MS Edge saved passwords.: My saved passwords/email addresses do not appear in a dropdown list when I click the email box.If I then insert one letter it lists only the email addresses starting with that letter including the passwords.Two identical PCs and this has only appeared on one PC a couple of...
  8. Edge keeps becoming the default program for PDFs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge keeps becoming the default program for PDFs.: I work at a print shop and we're at our wits end. We can not do our jobs with edge, we need to use acrobat and reprodesk, but our new computers keep resetting so edge is the default program for PDFs. This is ruining our workflow and pissing off everyone in the company. How do...
  9. Saving PDFs

Saving PDFs: I tried saving a PDF in a folder with the symbol # in the name and when i try to open the PDF if shows an error. However if i rename the folder the PDF is saved in to anything the doesnt have the # symbol then the PDF opens fine. I am using the new Surface pro X. Its not a...
  10. change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

in Microsoft Office and 365
    change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals: My default PDF viewer in MS Edge IS set to Nuance Power PDF Advanced BUT when a portal opens something that will be viewed as a PDF, it is still view in MS Edge. I'm believe I am up-to-date on all updates of all programs/apps. if there is anything else anyone needs to know...