Windows 10: MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf

Discus and support MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, I own a win10 home laptop, and wile exploring Edge, I realized it has a text-to-speech feature. I opened an .epub file and on top right a small... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sonamsopmist, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf

Hello, I own a win10 home laptop, and wile exploring Edge, I realized it has a text-to-speech feature. I opened an .epub file and on top right a small button appears among others that enables narrating mode. It work surprisingly well, I experimented with a variety of voices to narrate, in 2 languages, but when I use edge to open a .pdf file, there is no such button/icon. Is there a way to make Edge narrate more text formats? I'd rather not fill my computer with too many applications and programs, like converters and other TTS.

p.s. please do not mind any misspelling or syntax errors, I'm not very good in English.

:)

sonamsopmist, Oct 19, 2017
  2. PaulHuber Win User

Word 2016 - Windows 10 - speech recognition

How's that going? (Speech to Text) I was looking at the feature right now, I got "text to speech" to work with MS Narrator PDF, Word, Kindle PC with accessibility option, no other software. It took a while and I wrote up a page and a half of instructions
    for all document types, I have electronic books from SAP PRESS.

PaulHuber, Oct 19, 2017
  3. What would you think if you could get Cortana to read a txt or webpage aloud?

I prefer for Cortana to read Word Documents, Web Pages, PDFs, Kindle (actually all e-books), E-Mails, Highlighted Text, and any document format you can think of.

In addition, I would prefer the word being spoken is highlighted. I do appreciate Narrator, I just prefer a solution for reading out loud other reading situations.

I did purchase Ivona Reader however I prefer the voice of Cortana to Ivona2 Salli.

StevenAbeyta, Oct 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf

Well, you can use the Windows Narrator - if you can control it. It's the same voice as the example you quoted with an epub document.

To launch Narrator- win key + CTRL + Enter

I found it very hard to get it to read what I wanted it to read... but I probably missed the appropriate key sequence etc. (and I was using a text-based pdf, and there was no 'Read Aloud' button as you say).

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    I think you will find the PDFs which won't read aloud have text as an image not text.
    You can tell in Edge PDF Reader, and indeed in Adobe Reader, by using the text selection tool/cursor. It does not work on image text, You cannot select any text.
    For those with image text you would have to do OCR.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf

1. MS Edge narrating e-books but not pdf - Similar Threads - Edge narrating books

2. Windows Narrator compatibility with PDF documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Narrator compatibility with PDF documents: Hi everyone,I'm currently working an accessibility job which has brought me to use Windows Narrator instead of my chosen screen reader NVDA. I've been really impressed with Windows Narrator until I came to start testing it with PDF documents.I've feel as though I've hit some...
  3. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  4. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  5. pdf book reader

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    pdf book reader: I am a student and has to read pdf books, underline, highlight and make some notes with help of Pen. In my ipad I was using ibooks for same, but does not know if we have similar app for windows. I dont want to pay 14$ each month to adobe. Is there any such free app which give...
  6. Exporting a book PDF

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exporting a book PDF: I'm an author who needs to export a book PDF as a mobi. how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exporting-a-book-pdf/a74b6b61-e337-4891-87d2-789d628e6036"
  7. E-book

in Windows 10 Customization
    E-book: How do i install the ebook reader on my desktop windows 365 in order to open this file: chp_10.1007_978-3-658-25064-5_61.pdf Thanks for your help to a beginner! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-book/0ecc7327-6c3c-47e7-bcb6-b8e67c378ac6
  8. MS Edge and PDF files - High-jacked

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Edge and PDF files - High-jacked: What has happened with my Adobe Acrobat XI and MS Edge. Whenever I want create or open a PDF file, MS Edge takes over and displays the file. This is a recent occurrence, but it persists. Even though Acrobat asks me to make it my default for PDF files, which I do, Edge is...
  9. MS Edge and PDF printer problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Edge and PDF printer problems: Hi, I'm able to print from Excel, Work and Powerpoint on my new Lenovo Yoga laptop to my Brother multi-function printer but whenever I try to print from MS Edge or Print a PDF, I get error message "Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem. 0x8007007e....
  10. microsoft e-book

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    microsoft e-book: I purchased a book from Microsoft but can't find. what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-e-book/ea2d051d-2ba1-4622-9300-73b68b99fb9e"