Windows 10: MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Discus and support MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Using windows 10 64 bit version 1709 on a desktop PC. About once a week or so, Excel has trouble opening and crashes up to 8 times before finally... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by skcusime, Nov 7, 2017.

1. skcusime Win User

MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Using windows 10 64 bit version 1709 on a desktop PC.
    About once a week or so, Excel has trouble opening and crashes up to 8 times before finally recovering and opening. There are no error messages or BSODs, just slow to open, and a trail of failures in the Reliability Monitor. Office 365 is up to date, as is Windows.
    It displays this problem opening varying databases, so it not a bad database, and it has to load Excel before loading a database anyway.

Any clues?
    MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start [​IMG]

:)

skcusime, Nov 7, 2017
  2. DLKQ Win User

Windows unexpected shutdown.

My window frequently unexpected shutdown. For example, when I were working on MS words, excel. Sometimes, during system starting.

DLKQ, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Lkho Win User
    How to customize the way apps open in PC Windows 10

Thank you, Catherine. But as far I know, MS Word or Excel do not have a "setting" to adjust.

It is the windows of Word and Excel, also Outlook that I am trying to control. And these apps don't have a "setting" gear like other apps. They are part of MS Office 365.

Lkho, Nov 7, 2017
  4. MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Hi skcusime.

So what do the "View technical details" reveal besides these errors you posted.

Have you scanned your disk for errors?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  5. skcusime Win User
    Ken, Technical Details are shown here, but doesn't help me at all. I've scanned the drives and run SFC all with no errors. The machine runs perfectly except for this nuisance. And I know if I didn't look for problems by running the reliability monitor, I'd never know about this but something's got to be causing it.....

skcusime, Nov 8, 2017
  6. To see if this is an addin issue you could start excel in safe mode.

Windows Key + R,

type excel /safe

enter

I searched google with exception code and excel. I also searched on the dll but when I saw add-ins and you mentioned databases I figured you are an advance user and likely have a few. Just a test.

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  7. skcusime Win User
    Good thought Ken, but there are no active add-ins. I've opened several databases since my first email this morning without incident, but got another 8 errors a short while ago. That's 16 today!!

skcusime, Nov 8, 2017
  8. MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Please try safe start if you have add-ins installed.

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  9. skcusime Win User
    No add-ins are present.
    I've restored back to an image I has before these issues (only been happening for 10 days or so) so we'll see what happens. Might have been a windows update (or office update) that caused it.
    Here's hoping...

skcusime, Nov 9, 2017
  10. Good luck. Please post back how it goes.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  11. skcusime Win User
    Well unfortunately that didn't work. First time this morning after a bootup, loaded Excel directly from the start menu (not from a database shortcut) it failed 8 times. The spinning cursor spins for about 5 seconds as it loads (same as it does opening any program) and then goes off briefly, comes back for 2 seconds, goes off again, and does this about 8 times before finally loading the program.
    As I said before, that's the only symptom of a problem - no crash messages or BSODs, just a bit slow opening, and a trail in reliability history. It usually opens just fine for the next 10 or 20 runs, sometimes goes for a couple of days!
    I'll keep trying things and report back if anything changes.

skcusime, Nov 9, 2017
  12. Okay, so you could uninstall Office and then re-install. There is usually an option to repair Office as well.

Alternatively you could do a clean boot and the run excel to see if this is interference from another piece of software.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

When you say database you mean workbooks or spreadsheets, right?

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  13. skcusime Win User

Yes, sorry, old terminology!
    I've done (this morning) a complete reinstall of Office, and so far so good, but it's an intermittent problem, so I'll need to go a few days before I'm convinced! I could restore a backup from just before the Fall Update, and use 1703 for a few more months to see what happens, so there are plenty of options. I do a full backup twice weekly and keep the last 20, so I have plenty to choose from!

skcusime, Nov 10, 2017
  14. You are way ahead of most members. Post back what happens.

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  15. skcusime Win User
    Well that theory didn't last long. First time I ran excel, which was to open it in safe mode directly from the start menu, it failed 8 times. I wonder what the significance is with 8?
    I think I'll leave it a while and see if there's a windows update next week or at some future time. As I said, it doesn't cause any real issues, but it's annoying that I seem alone with this, and I can't eliminate it.

skcusime, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start - Similar Threads - Excel 365 sometimes

2. MS 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS 365: i bought MS365 but lost my desktop icons, red circle access is too cumbersome. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-365/be3d228f-d3bd-468f-835c-e64c428e5250
  3. Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues: I’m having issues with MS office 365 excel following a Windows 11 upgrade. The program is very latent, meaning one character is typed and I have to wait 30seconds for it to respond. Excel is the only program I am having issues with. I have taken the following actions:-Repair...
  4. Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues: I’m having issues with MS office 365 excel following a Windows 11 upgrade. The program is very latent, meaning one character is typed and I have to wait 30seconds for it to respond. Excel is the only program I am having issues with. I have taken the following actions:-Repair...
  5. Startup apps won't start sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup apps won't start sometimes.: I need the startup apps to run even before log in, so WOL can be used remotely and I can access my system anywhere. Sometimes it will run them while some other times it won't. How can I fix it? Fast startup is disabled on windows but Fast boot is enabled on the BIOS. Is there...
  6. Startup applications sometimes won't start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup applications sometimes won't start: Hello, I'm having a weird issue with startup applications. There are some apps PreMiD, Discord and PicPick that constantly disappear from my startup apps list. I don't know why but every now and then this happens. Help? Is this something related to corrupted registry files?...
  7. Excel 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel 365: I am trying to load excel programs. I get the error about a dialog box is open. then the program opens every excel file I have. confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-365/29e5e9ab-48ab-4325-842b-71b976a37946"
  8. MS Office 365 eXCEL

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Office 365 eXCEL: Two problems: One- In Excel, keep getting "we're sorry but excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working........" This error is extremely irritating as I have to reenter data everytime MS decides to "prevent it from working" and when you deal with the...
  9. Excel, Office 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel, Office 365: Hello, I am having puting 11-20 into a cell. It converts it to date format, Nov-20, and when I change the format to General it converts it to 44136. Same thing happens when I use the Number format. Only seems to be for this data, i.e. 11-20. Any ideas? Thanks....
  10. Office 365 sometimes unable to start

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 sometimes unable to start: Out of nowhere in last few days I boot up and try to launch an office program such as word or excel and get met after several seconds of nothing with a dialogue box of blah, blah, excel, or winword is unable to start and some innocuous code. Press ok to close. And it just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excel 365 wont start

2. office 365 wont start