Windows 10: MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Discus and support MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi there, @skcusime. I've been using Office since 2000 Pro, so have a little experience at it. Every now and then certain machines have problems... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by skcusime, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start

Hi there, @skcusime.

I've been using Office since 2000 Pro, so have a little experience at it. Every now and then certain machines have problems either caused by OS or Office update. Sometimes difficult to find which. In your case it looks like the FCU update botched Office. It's usually the Click-to-Run Extensibility Component that can't change certain protected system Registry keys. I see it ran in your Reliability list. It'll most likely be an Office update that will fix the problem.

The "magic 8" times open/fail is a mystery to me. Never saw that one before. Interesting.

A few questions if you want to continue:

Does this happen with other Office programs or just Excel?

By any chance have you changed from 32 bit to 64 bit at any time?

Does opening just the Office program by itself quicker than opening a file?

I see you uninstalled/reinstalled. Have you tried the repair option? Settings app > Apps > Left click MS Office > Modify > Yes to UAC > Online repair. If that doesn't fix it, most likely nothing will. However, there is a way to uninstall that component for a time, but I don't recommend that.

BTW, uninstalling/reinstalling sometimes causes more problems than helps. It causes Registry key problems. I recommend always using the repair option and reboot.

There's been a new problem that has arisen that they need to fix. Not all systems, but, believe it or not, Cortana causes issues. Just for grins try turning it off if you have it enabled. Settings app > Cortana > Talk to Cortana > Turn off "Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" > Reboot.

Tony K, Nov 10, 2017
  2. skcusime Win User

Hello HippsieGypsie,
    It only happens with Excel, although I usually only use Excel, Outlook & Word. I have tried all the others in the Office package, just to see, and they all worked, but so does Excel most of the time.
    I use a 64 bit version of Windows, but a 32 bit version of Office. No changes.
    I've done the quick repair and the long online repair, which seems like a re-install with the need to re-sign in at the end.
    I've never used Cortana and it's turned off.
    It now about 7am, and i left the computer on all night (it's usually off) and have had no problems this morning so far. Excel is usually one of the first programs run each day, and of late i'm careful to make sure it's had time to finish it's bootup before trying anything.
    Yesterday, after a reboot, I tried running it in safe mode but it happened then too. So that eliminates any addins (i don't have any) but it seems the first run after a boot is the most likely to fail.

skcusime, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Tony K Win User
    Ok, skcusime. Hopefully they release something soon. Good luck to you. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 10, 2017
  4. skcusime Win User

I've spent the morning trying different scenarios.
    It seems to happen consistently on the first run following a startup or reboot (i hadn't pinpointed that before). After that, subsequent runs, either from the start menu or opening a workbook excel opens okay.
    I've tried a registry change as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-cannot-start - didn't make any difference.
    I've tried running in safe mode and running as administrator - both failed.
    I've disabled hardware acceleration - didn't work.
    All other Office programs work as they should.

MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start [​IMG]

So today I've rebooted 5 times and I'm now up to 40 errors - exactly 8 times for each try. Consistent - happens on first run after a boot and happens exactly 8 times!

skcusime, Nov 12, 2017
  5. skcusime Win User
    Well, way too early to be 100% sure, but it appears this whole saga was caused by Malwarebytes. I turned it off yesterday and Excel worked after a boot without problems, and loaded very quickly. I've now turned Malwarebytes on again, but set an exception for Excel. It appears to be working - so far so good.

skcusime, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    That's great news. Who'd of thought. Hopefully that does it for you. Good luck. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MS Excel 365 sometimes won't start - Similar Threads - Excel 365 sometimes

2. MS 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS 365: i bought MS365 but lost my desktop icons, red circle access is too cumbersome. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-365/be3d228f-d3bd-468f-835c-e64c428e5250
  3. Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues: I’m having issues with MS office 365 excel following a Windows 11 upgrade. The program is very latent, meaning one character is typed and I have to wait 30seconds for it to respond. Excel is the only program I am having issues with. I have taken the following actions:-Repair...
  4. Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 / MS office 365 excel issues: I’m having issues with MS office 365 excel following a Windows 11 upgrade. The program is very latent, meaning one character is typed and I have to wait 30seconds for it to respond. Excel is the only program I am having issues with. I have taken the following actions:-Repair...
  5. Startup apps won't start sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup apps won't start sometimes.: I need the startup apps to run even before log in, so WOL can be used remotely and I can access my system anywhere. Sometimes it will run them while some other times it won't. How can I fix it? Fast startup is disabled on windows but Fast boot is enabled on the BIOS. Is there...
  6. Startup applications sometimes won't start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup applications sometimes won't start: Hello, I'm having a weird issue with startup applications. There are some apps PreMiD, Discord and PicPick that constantly disappear from my startup apps list. I don't know why but every now and then this happens. Help? Is this something related to corrupted registry files?...
  7. Excel 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel 365: I am trying to load excel programs. I get the error about a dialog box is open. then the program opens every excel file I have. confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-365/29e5e9ab-48ab-4325-842b-71b976a37946"
  8. MS Office 365 eXCEL

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Office 365 eXCEL: Two problems: One- In Excel, keep getting "we're sorry but excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working........" This error is extremely irritating as I have to reenter data everytime MS decides to "prevent it from working" and when you deal with the...
  9. Excel, Office 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel, Office 365: Hello, I am having puting 11-20 into a cell. It converts it to date format, Nov-20, and when I change the format to General it converts it to 44136. Same thing happens when I use the Number format. Only seems to be for this data, i.e. 11-20. Any ideas? Thanks....
  10. Office 365 sometimes unable to start

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 sometimes unable to start: Out of nowhere in last few days I boot up and try to launch an office program such as word or excel and get met after several seconds of nothing with a dialogue box of blah, blah, excel, or winword is unable to start and some innocuous code. Press ok to close. And it just...