Windows 10: MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

Discus and support MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I used screen time limiting successfully in the past. But since a few months it doesn't work anymore. I set device limits to ON and configure time... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pieter Gerritse, Jan 9, 2019.

1. MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

I used screen time limiting successfully in the past. But since a few months it doesn't work anymore.

I set device limits to ON and configure time limits and allowance windows, it works for maybe 12-24 hours but later I find out that my children have unlimited screen time. I go back to the family options to find that device limits are turned off, so the time limits and allowance windows dont apply anymore.

I've seen this topic opened (and closed) before, but without a helpful solution. I would appreciate if this could be fixed.

:)

Pieter Gerritse, Jan 9, 2019
  2. JCO_705 Win User

Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited / Very Buggy!

I have 2 child accounts set up in our "family" along with my account and my wife's.

I am able to set the screen time limitations for both boys' accounts and they generally work. HOWEVER it seems that every few days my wife will say that it seems one kid has been using the computer a lot, and I will go into the Microsoft Family settings
    and find that one or both of the accounts has switched back to UNLIMITED time every day (vs. the 1.5 hours that I had set earlier). I change it back to 1.5 hours and it holds for a while but then it seems to lose that setting.

Also it seems that the site may not be tracking time properly, unless it doesn't track time when on the "Unlimited" setting. For example when I look at HISTORY it shows 27 mins of usage yesterday, yet he used the PC much more than that.

WHY is this happening? I've already had many growing pains with having to pay money to "verify" the child account etc and like I said, the time limits seem to work when they want to work, but then they just reset themselves.

Is there some internet-based workaround that my son has found on Youtube or something that lets him jam the Microsoft time limits? Or is Windows 10 family time limits just very buggy?

Time limits are useless if they keep resetting to UNLIMITED randomly.......

JCO_705, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited / Very Buggy!

Hi,

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you resolve the issue.

To fix this, you need to delete any corrupted files, and re-download your settings from the Family Safety website.

If you experience more problems with Family Safety time limits and PC activity reporting, please re-run the

Family Safety Troubleshooter.

If you wish to delete the corrupted files yourself without using the troubleshooter, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap
    Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click
    Search.)

b. Make sure that Apps is selected, and then enter
    Computer in the Search box.

c. Tap or click to open the Computer app. Open
    C:, open the ProgramData folder, open the
    Microsoft folder, open the Windows folder, and open the
    Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Rykel Lim Win User

MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited / Very Buggy!

I have a Windows 10 PC where the Screen Time settings is VERY buggy... after configuring the service and using it for a while, it either resets itself to "unlimited", or the allowable time/timing gets messed up. For example, "2 hours" became "7 hours 30
    minutes". Please help?

Rykel Lim, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

1. MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited - Similar Threads - Family Screen keeps

2. I use MS family safety to limit screen time for children. Every day it re-sets to unlimited.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I use MS family safety to limit screen time for children. Every day it re-sets to unlimited.: Family safety screen time limits re-set themselves to unlimited every day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-use-ms-family-safety-to-limit-screen-time-for/c846a7b3-35d7-4c8c-8154-66fbf60c6f74
  3. I use MS family safety to limit screen time for children. Every day it re-sets to unlimited.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I use MS family safety to limit screen time for children. Every day it re-sets to unlimited.: Family safety screen time limits re-set themselves to unlimited every day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-use-ms-family-safety-to-limit-screen-time-for/c846a7b3-35d7-4c8c-8154-66fbf60c6f74
  4. I use MS family safety to limit screen time for children. Every day it re-sets to unlimited.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unlimited screen time during school hours

Unlimited screen time during school hours: I've setup "screen time" usage for my daughter's laptop - am familiar with multiple schedules within days and the like. I am looking to discover a solution for configuring screen time restrictions to only apply outside of school hours as she uses her laptop at school....
  6. Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited: I have set screen time for my son, however every a couple of days it resets to unlimited. I don't think he hacked into my account but this keeps happening. Why??...
  7. Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time

Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time: My son's laptop is completely blocked from use by rogue Microsoft Family screen time settings. We can get to the login screen and log in, but are immediately presented with a "Times Up" dialog box that says "This device is locked because of your family settings for screen...
  8. ms family account screen time limits not working

ms family account screen time limits not working: Hi Despite trying all the suggestions I can find online to fix it screen time limits have not been working for months. The limit is set correctly but Windows appears to ignore it. Family activity reporting shows that the activity duration is greater than the limit set....
  9. MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen: On some days, MS Family reports more than 9 hours of screen time on my child’s account when I’m confident it should be far less. Does MS Family keep the clock running even when the screen is locked? If so, I suggest you pause the clock when the screen is locked....
  10. Setting screen time in MS Family

Setting screen time in MS Family: As I see I can only set a screen time for my child with a minimum of 30 minutes. Can I change it and adjust the settings so I could set a screen time like 3.30 – 4.15?...