Windows 10: MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon

Discus and support MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have the Universal MS mail app on my taskbar. In the past when I received mail a badge opened over the icon with the number of emails I received. I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by streetwolf, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon

I have the Universal MS mail app on my taskbar. In the past when I received mail a badge opened over the icon with the number of emails I received. I also get email notifications on the Action Center icon which works correctly. I have badges turned on in Settings. I used to get the mail badge not too long ago. I don't know what changed to cause it to disappear. I can still click on the mail icon on the taskbar to open the mail app to view my emails or I can click on the action center notification.

Does anyone know how to get the badge back on my taskbar? Since Action Center does the same thing I am really not hurt by all of this but I still would like to know what's going on and to fix it.

Thanks.

:)

streetwolf, Dec 6, 2018

2. Taskbar Mail icon continues to show unread mail count after emails are read

The mail icon in the task bar continues to show unread mail when none present. I have my Hotmail and 2 other personal email accounts in Windows 10 mail app. Sometimes the unread count (number in a circle over the bottom right portion of the mail icon)
    does not clear. After reading unread emails (from the 3 accounts), the unread count over the icon remains. No unread emails are present in Mail. I log into each account via the respective web portal or via Outlook 2016 (for my Hotmail acct) and no unread
    mail is present. The number will remain even into starting Windows 10 the next day, not changing value even though new mail has been received, read and or deleted via other email access (mobile phone).

UPDATE: While typing this question, I received 1 new email (to my Hotmail acct). A "slide-in" message from the action center displayed a new email received and the number on the icon immediately changed from 5 to 1. Maybe that's the way to clear - leave
    Windows 10 running until a new email is received??? (at the time, the Mail app was NOT running).

Also, after reading the mail(s) received and shutting down Mail app, the unread count disappears momentarily then re-appears on the icon when the Mail app closes.

This is no longer a question but more an FYI. This is about how to resolve an apparent bug in the Mail app.

grasskutter, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Egorro Win User
    Taskbar Mail icon continues to show unread mail count after emails are read

I also have this bug for a long time. Sometimes reading new mail resets the icon counter, but sometimes it keep showing as unread ((in both Taskbar and Start menu, while in the program itself there aren't unread messages at all). To clear it manually you
    can click that icon 2-3 times: launched Mail app is minimized and restored and the icon counter resets.

Egorro, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Egorro Win User

MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon

Unread mail counter on Mail icon

Hi all!

I have an issue with Windows 10 Mail app for about some months: the taskbar icon and Start shortcut aren't resetting counter of unread emails after I read and even delete them - I have to click the taskbar icon 2-3 times, minimizing and restoring the Mail's
    window or relaunching the app to clear the icon's counter to "no unread", normal icon state. Complete Windows reinstallation didn't solve the problem, troubleshooting too. I couldn't find any similar questions so just want to know at least, does anybody else
    have this issue? And is there any real solution?

Dear MVPs, please, don't suggest 'try defragmenting the disks and cleaning the dust': even clean reinstall doesn't help))

Sorry for possibly bad english, will be thankful for any useful answers.

Egorro, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon

1. MS mail app icon doesn't show unread email count on Taskbar icon - Similar Threads - mail app icon

2. Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages: This has just happened recently.Windows 10 taskbar Mail Icon was showing 1 or 2 messages unread when all are read.I discovered that when accessing mail by the Outlook button on msn.com,, the unread message indication remained.When accessing mail by clicking on the task bar...
  3. Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail Icon Showing Unread Messages: This has just happened recently.Windows 10 taskbar Mail Icon was showing 1 or 2 messages unread when all are read.I discovered that when accessing mail by the Outlook button on msn.com,, the unread message indication remained.When accessing mail by clicking on the task bar...
  4. Battery icon doesn't showing in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery icon doesn't showing in taskbar: The battery icon suddenly disappears from the taskbar. Please help me out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon-doesnt-showing-in-taskbar/8f4bbff4-37a6-4a60-9663-f9068c05bc05
  5. Taskbar Mail icon is not showing unread mail count number and not syncing automatically.

Taskbar Mail icon is not showing unread mail count number and not syncing automatically.: On the taskbar, the mail Icon is not showing the total number count of new emails. It is not syncing automatically email. Please resolve it....
  6. Taskbar Mail icon keeps showng unread email badge

Taskbar Mail icon keeps showng unread email badge: Hi! I got the email icon on my taskbar that keeps showing unread emails, even though I don't. I tried everything such as synicing but it doesn't go away. Do you have any solution? Thanks...
  7. battery icon doesn't show on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    battery icon doesn't show on taskbar: I have set in the setting to switch on battery icon on taskbar, but it is still doesn't show up[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon-doesnt-show-on-taskbar/fd1ec825-3e0f-4169-b93d-54f5b11e6051
  8. Mail app - live tile unread count not updating

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app - live tile unread count not updating: In my start menu, I use the mail live tile. But it doesn't seem to update even after I don't have any unread emails. This is the live tile: [img] And here, you can see that I don't have any unread emails: [img] So what's going on? Is there a fix for this?...
  9. Mail icon shows one notification although there are no unread mails

in Browsers and Email
    Mail icon shows one notification although there are no unread mails: The Windows Mail Icon in my taskbar persists in showing me that there is one notification, even though I have no unread emails and there is no notification in the Action Centre. Is there an easy way to clear this? I have tried selecting all and marking as read then as...
  10. Mail App email count

in Browsers and Email
    Mail App email count: Is there a way to see an email count in the mail app? For example, when I'm in my inbox, how can I tell the total number of email in the inbox. I've just switched from Windows Live Mail (which is being depreciated) which had a count on the bottom pane. 49777

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook icon unread email

2. win 10 mail app in taskbar not showing count

3. Taskbar Mail icon continues to show unread mail count after emails are read

4. email app showing unread messages,
  5. outlook email badge not showing number of new emails,
  6. windows mail to show number of unread emails on icon,
  7. mail icon on nwe computer does not show unread email count,
  8. windows mail app not showign notification of unread messages,
  9. not showing received # of unread email in taskbar windows 10,
  10. mail app showing notification but there is no unread messages,
  11. windows 10 unread mail count not displaying,
  12. win 10 no mail count in mail app,
  13. How to show unread mail count on taskbar Mail,
  14. windows 10 mail app showing incorrect number of messages taskbar,
  15. windows 10 mail not showing number of new mails on task bar