Windows 10: MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means"

Discus and support MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means" in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Not Yet Ready to Describe What "Supported Lifetime of the Device" Means for Windows 10 There's been much debate over Terry Myerson's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Feb 3, 2015.

1. groze Win User

MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means"

Microsoft Not Yet Ready to Describe What "Supported Lifetime of the Device" Means for Windows 10

groze, Feb 3, 2015
  2. Wynona Win User

I think supported is the key word here. Generally a computer is warranted for one year, so would that be the supported lifetime?

We all know that computers last much, much longer than a year; I'm working on a 5-year-plus old computer. It's a good one, but a little long in the tooth. Display leaves something to be desired, and I can't wait to get a new one in mid-February and give this one back to my son-in-law. But I digress.

So, if this laptop lasts a few more years, and I don't see why not, will Windows 10 just stop working when Microsoft figures out what its supported lifetime is?

:)

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  3. neilpzz Win User
    THEN I can upgrade for free to w10 again anytime even in 2017 (after the 1 yr) for free

Well MS say "supported lifetime of the device" whatever that means.

neilpzz, Feb 3, 2015
  4. d0gknees Win User

Fee based support after upgrading to Windows 10 is not free.

Yes. It means you cannot transfer the licence to another PC. You get to use it on the PC it's on until that PC no longer works, or you choose not to use it.

d0gknees, Feb 3, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    My computer is out of warranty. I didn't buy an extend warranty. I hope Microsoft decides the definition before they release the consumer preview. I read several posting here and other places, no one can seem to agree what the supported lifetime of the device is. Everyone has opinions though. Some think it is a really big deal and others think it is not a big deal. They are also concerned with windows as a service.

groze, Feb 3, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I'm going to take a stab at this. The way I interpret this is that MS will provide support as long as you keep Win10 on the same PC/Device. Now the trick will be what if you change some of the hardware on the PC/Device. I think that you should be able to change/repair your PC/Device and still retain the support but MS needs to clarify the meaning of the support.

Just my 2c, YMMV
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 3, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I wouldn't get into these sorts of issues at this stage of the game -- The current build doesn't expire UNTIL OCTOBER which gives people a nice long time to test it. There will be a few more builds I suspect on the way so it could be possible that these builds won't expire until say April 2016 even.

These issues will have become a lot clearer by then. If as a lot ARE doing now -using W10 as their everyday OS then I hope they've taken a backup of the previous OS otherwise they *could be* caught out.

If you aren't sure then another problem can arise if you decide to upgrade or buy new software. You really need to do it on both the OLD release and the new one.

If activation / licensing conditions only allow use on 1 computer it gets slightly more problematical but what I'd do is install on W8 / W8.1, Backup the computer and then re-upgrade to W10 again. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2015
  8. MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means"

When the hardware is not supported anymore or it dies,
    I often wondered why Vista was excluded in the free upgrade offer many have the same spec's as 7 machines many Vista machines have been upgraded to 7 and 8 for that matter,
    I'm sure Microsoft will elaborate in it's usual circular logic fashion eventually and raise more questions than it attempted to clear up or answered *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Feb 3, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Very true, Jimbo. But it never hurts to discuss contingencies. *Smile

IIRC, past previews/betas have always expired well past the time of RTM, so it's conceivable that Windows 10 could see a final release before October 15. Then again, maybe we'll get a longer testing time unlike in the past. Who knows!?

I will not "spend" any of my Windows 8.1 on a free upgrade; I'm pretty sure that once you upgrade it, you lose it. Hopefully MS will give us the opportunity of an early purchase at a much discounted price. This ferret likes to have her cake and eat it too. *Dinesh

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    Very true, Jimbo. But it never hurts to discuss contingencies. *Smile

IIRC, past previews/betas have always expired well past the time of RTM, so it's conceivable that Windows 10 could see a final release before October 15. Then again, maybe we'll get a longer testing time unlike in the past. Who knows!?

I will not "spend" any of my Windows 8.1 on a free upgrade; I'm pretty sure that once you upgrade it, you lose it. Hopefully MS will give us the opportunity of an early purchase at a much discounted price. This ferret likes to have her cake and eat it too. *Dinesh Wynona,
    of course when you upgraded you can't use the old license whether it is retail or oem. Doesn't mean you can't go back by abandoning windows 10. Microsoft may not allow uninstall the same way you can in the windows 10 preview. You may need to either restore from an image or reinstall the old operating system,

Let say if they did block they old key. It wouldn't work for pre-activated oem computers like mine. If it deactivated mine, it would deactivate everyone elses pre-activated provided they have the same computer. Those other computers will pop up with a message saying not genuine.

Also, don't they reset/remove the OEM/Retail key after 180 days from the activation server. This is so you can do more upgrades without you having to call Microsoft.

groze, Feb 3, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    They used to do that, Groze, but I don't think it happens any more. Can't remember for sure, but I think they stopped removing the keys with Windows 7. Too many people were taking advantage of the loophole. *Sad

For me, the simplest course of action is a clean install. And yep, I'm sure Brink will come up with instructions for that for those of us who want to upgrade with a clean install.

Regardless of opinions, for me a clean install works. YMMV

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means" - Similar Threads - ready Supported Lifetime

2. What does mean "ISO is not supported"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does mean "ISO is not supported"?: I can't access a system on the notebook. I use a netbook to make a live USB with the target system. While trying to write an image to USB I got a message: "The ISO selected is not supported at the moment. You can try booting ISO using memdisk. Distro can be uninstalled...
  3. What does mean "ISO is not supported"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does mean "ISO is not supported"?: I can't access a system on the notebook. I use a netbook to make a live USB with the target system. While trying to write an image to USB I got a message: "The ISO selected is not supported at the moment. You can try booting ISO using memdisk. Distro can be uninstalled...
  4. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  5. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  6. WHAT IS THIS MEAN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHAT IS THIS MEAN: Error establishing a database connection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-mean/3b61b61e-ad18-48f7-aaba-c7c4755afa90
  7. WHAT IS THIS MEAN

WHAT IS THIS MEAN: my internet stops always get saying NO INTERNET SECURED when trying to connect have to run troubleshooter? [ATTACH] what is wermgr have caution thing by it and what does it do...
  8. What do the icons under your device mean in you MS Account Device tab webpage?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What do the icons under your device mean in you MS Account Device tab webpage?: I know one is my user or MS Account picture but the other looks like either a family group or the homegroup icon? When I hover the cursor over it it says my PC name but why does it have this icon? Cheers...
  9. The device is not ready

The device is not ready: Hi, When I try to open msconfig and task manager an error message pops up saying C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe "The device is not ready" C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe "The device is not ready" Could you help me fix this? Thanks....
  10. Device is not ready

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device is not ready: HI. I recently tried to lock my HD710 external-HDD and then I got a problem in decryption when I wanna use my e-HDD after entering the password I get this error : "Encryption has been stopped Device is not ready" I'm sure that I enter the password correctly and I'm...