Windows 10: MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3

Discus and support MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I currently have 3 email accounts that download to Outlook 2016 using POP3. All accounts download into the same Inbox within Outlook and then I move... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by AjayK47, Jan 1, 2017.

1. AjayK47 Win User

MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3

I currently have 3 email accounts that download to Outlook 2016 using POP3. All accounts download into the same Inbox within Outlook and then I move each to relevant sub-folders as necessary. I have stuck with using POP3 mainly because I tend to just use a desktop computer and only access emails from that. I also keep my calendar, contacts, notes and tasks within Outlook 2016.

I would now like to have the option of accessing everything from more than one device (possible acquisition of a smartphone for the first time) and would want to keep everything in sync. I gather that from the email perspective it would be best to change to using IMAP but what about my calendar, contacts, notes and tasks. How do I keep all of those in sync as well across more than one device?

Help appreciated.

:)

AjayK47, Jan 1, 2017

2. How do I find out the Outlook order number to re-load it on my new computer

I would ask this in the MS Office Section for Outlook 2016 (its where the experts are)

Use the categories pull down at the top of the page to move it or repost it there

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 1, 2017
  3. Office 365 Calendar - Invite People To Meeting

I have noticed that when I create a meeting in Office 365, and select the People I want to invite, it will display everyone that I have received an email from/to, whether or not they are in any of my address lists. This does not occur in my desktop version
    of Outlook 2016, only people in my address list will display. Is there a setting in Outlook 2016 that will show everyone like it does online?

***Moved from: Office / Outlook / Windows 10 / Office 2016***/

Tracy Loetz, Jan 1, 2017
  4. MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3

I do this with Outlook 2013 and an Outlook.com account. As to phone IOS and Android are a little different and I found ios easier, okay, much easier to set up. Mine phone is iPhone, my wife's is Android. Maybe newer Android has this nailed.

If your emails are not outlook.com accounts (hotmail, live and MSN are Outlook.com accounts) you may likely need third party software. The connector to gmail has been abandoned. Some of the third party software out there may take a lot of the work out of the process.

In particular I would recommend you think through the different "Use Cases". Should or do calendars need be separate, contacts, etc. I set Outlook 2013 to always send from my default email account as an example. I kept my Personal folders but that means I have to keep backups. You can also also keep everything in your IMAP folders. Just consider how you want and why. May also help you pick third party product if that is way you wind up going.

In my case I have lots of accounts on my phone but I have one book of record for contacts, tasks, calendars. I use OneNotes for notes or I place then in under a fake contacts and use the note sections with a contact. I enter something on phone, it appears in Outlook 2013, same going the opposite way. I do not use the Outlook app anywhere.

There are articles at slipstick.com (and Outlook tips) on how to do this and Dianne is a great resource. If most of your correspondence and meetings are on one central account, with the other email be more informational, this will be a lot easier.

Sync Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook.com

Export from Outlook Calendar to Outlook.com’s Calendar - Outlook Tips

Looks a little overwhelming on first read, just read it a couple of times.

Caledon Ken, Jan 2, 2017
  5. bfunke Win User
    I've had no issues with Outlook 2016 and Gmail IMAP. If you kept old pop mails on your desktop and deleted from server be sure to archive them or back them up elsewhere to avoid permanently losing them.

bfunke, Jan 2, 2017
  6. I never could get Outlook to sync Contacts and calendars. Use to with that connector. Need third party app.

Agree though, if just mail it connects and syncs mail very well.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3

1. MS Office Outlook 2016 - Moving away from POP3 - Similar Threads - Office Outlook 2016

2. Problems with Email Rules in Outlook 2016 Desktop - Using MS Office Professional 2016 NOT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Email Rules in Outlook 2016 Desktop - Using MS Office Professional 2016 NOT...: I am having issues with Email Rules in Outlook 2016 Desktop. Sometimes the rules work and sometimes they don't. I have deleted all rules, started over, cleared cache, cleared cookies, and re-installed Outlook 2016 desktop, but to no avail. I am using a 2022 LG Laptop, Windows...
  3. Does MS give Office 2016-licenses away for free?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Does MS give Office 2016-licenses away for free?: When I entered my personal ms-account with no 365-subscription attached in a fresh 365-setup on a fresh install of 21H1, it went on to install Office 2016 which was then activated. Have I ever bought 2016 and forgot, or is MS playing nice? 178921
  4. MS Office 2016

MS Office 2016: Where can I download Office Pro Plus 2016. I Have it and have Key for it but takes a long time to download. want to have Disk Image of it. 140675
  5. MS Office/Outlook 2016 Pro Plus

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Office/Outlook 2016 Pro Plus: I recently installed MS Office Pro 2016 mainly so I could use Outlook 2016 as my default email along with Yahoo. However, when I click on anything in a message I get: "Your Organizations Policies are preventing us from completing this action for you. For more information...
  6. MS office Excel 2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS office Excel 2016: How do I apply a new Theme Font to existing workbooks created with another Theme so that all fonts are changed to the new Theme? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-excel-2016/1465ff54-f342-4038-85bf-30d61a970d98
  7. Outlook Email popup notifications MS Office Professional 2016

Outlook Email popup notifications MS Office Professional 2016: Is it possible to set up a notification in Outlook which pops up and persists until the user dismisses it. The notification would popup when an email arrives with a particular subject or from a specific user. 117734
  8. Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016: Hi, is there any way of backing up all email accounts in Outlook 2013 (including username+password) and restoring them in Outlook 2016 without having to manually recreate the accounts? Thanks 53270
  9. Outlook 2016 - Exchange Server and POP3 email accounts

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 - Exchange Server and POP3 email accounts: I use Outlook 2016 for all my email requirements. One BTinternet.com email address One Outlook.com email address Previously had above two email accounts sending and receiving from the same PST file each using POP3. Wanted to change the Outlook.com to IMAP with my...
  10. Moving from Thunderbird to Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Moving from Thunderbird to Outlook 2016: Having all sorts of problems. Finally managed to import my thousands of saved emails (had to buy a program to do it) but cannot get them to be sub-folders of the inbox, only down at the bottom as "Outlook data file". Cannot import contacts. I export to csv but they...