Windows 10: MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

Discus and support MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am attempting to move files from my iPhone X to my Windows 10 laptop via the Photos app. I have done this numerous times in the past including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by barbquebutt, Sep 15, 2019.

1. MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

I am attempting to move files from my iPhone X to my Windows 10 laptop via the Photos app. I have done this numerous times in the past including recently.

I plugged in my phone via USB cable, the photos app opens and begins searching for new photos and videos, it finds what I believe to be all of my media files, and freezes. The "looking for new photos and videos" window doesn't close. I can't cancel and have to hard close the app.

I've waited 20 minutes for it to fix itself with no results.

I've tried refreshing, restoring and reinstalling the app with no results. I've also signed in with both a MS account and local account as answers to similar questions have suggested. Still no change.

This is frustrating. Please assist.

:)

barbquebutt, Sep 15, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 15, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    New Memorex Mirror for Photos Simplifies Photo Backup

Today’s consumers are looking for simple technology solutions that allow them to swiftly and safely back up their ever-growing digital photo collection. With a quick, one-time software installation, the Memorex Mirror for Photos external hard drive automatically backs up photos when connected to the computer without having to open numerous settings, dialogs or having to navigate multiple menus.

Mirror for Photos is a fast, smart and maintenance-free method of backing up photos and takes the guesswork out of protecting one’s precious memories. Its built-in software automatically runs each time the device is connected to a PC or MAC, finds photos and backs them up. This eliminates the hassle of manually backing up photos each time they are uploaded on a computer. A unique monitoring feature detects when new photos are present and reminds the user to connect Mirror for Photos.

MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos 116a_thm.jpg

“As people’s digital libraries continue to grow, they understand how critical it is to preserve those moments, yet are often intimidated with the notion of backing up,” said Jess Walton, Memorex brand manager. “Mirror for Photos provides even non tech-savvy users with a quick, simple and maintenance-free method for backing up and protecting precious memories.”

Mirror for Photos’ compact, space-saving design – at 3x5x1/2 inches – also eliminates the need for power cords, thanks to its simple USB-bus powered connection. The product’s user-inspired packaging also boasts easy-to-understand icons that convey product features, attributes and applications.

Memorex Mirror for Photos is available in three sizes, 320GB, 500GB and 640GB, or an estimated capacity of 64,000, 100,000 and 128,000 high-resolution photos* respectively. Mirror for Photos (320GB model) is currently available at Toys“R”Us. Suggested retail prices for capacities are:
    • $79.99 for the 320GB Mirror for Photos
    • $99.99 for the 500GB Mirror for Photos
    • $119.99 for the 640GB Mirror for Photos

btarunr, Sep 15, 2019
  4. billyjk Win User

MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

Win10 Photos App - How to Search?

I am seriously thinking of using MS's Photo App as the backbone of my new photo library effort. I've read that there is a new Photo App available and that is does facial recognition, which is a big deal for me.

So, on my Win10 machine, I opened the Photos app and pointed it to a folder that has a couple dozen pics in it just to see what it's like. It looks great, but I can't find a way to search anything, and there's no obvious way to tag people to enable any potential facial recognition to support people searches.

So, since I just read about a new Photo App release, I went to the Windows Store to download it. The Store says that the app (which I assume is the latest) is already installed on my machine.

So I am really at a loss. I would love to use this app as the central point of my new library. What am I missing here?

billyjk, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

1. MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos - Similar Threads - Photos app freezing

2. MS photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS photos app: My windows 10 doesn't have the ms photos app. I tried downloading it through the store and nothing happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-photos-app/97fba5a3-3556-4dbd-b411-e71b8ba09d2f
  3. MS photos app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS photos app: My windows 10 doesn't have the ms photos app. I tried downloading it through the store and nothing happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-photos-app/97fba5a3-3556-4dbd-b411-e71b8ba09d2f
  4. MS Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Photos app: VijayLook at the comparison of these two pictures:https://photos.app.goo.gl/7VqUN2sBoPn83G337The left one was displayed with MS PHOTOS, and the right one was displayed using SOFTONIC 123PHOTOS.My set up:*Win 11*Dell Inspiron laptop new, LED backlight display, properly color...
  5. MS Photos app

MS Photos app: VijayLook at the comparison of these two pictures:https://photos.app.goo.gl/7VqUN2sBoPn83G337The left one was displayed with MS PHOTOS, and the right one was displayed using SOFTONIC 123PHOTOS.My set up:*Win 11*Dell Inspiron laptop new, LED backlight display, properly color...
  6. MS Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Photos app: My Windows 10 does not have the MS Photos app, and nothing happens when I try to download it from the store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-photos-app/d402c2ad-eefb-44f4-ad6b-ab7b99277469
  7. MS Photos app

MS Photos app: My Windows 10 does not have the MS Photos app, and nothing happens when I try to download it from the store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-photos-app/d402c2ad-eefb-44f4-ad6b-ab7b99277469
  8. MS Photo app

MS Photo app: Dear MS Photo users, I am looking for a solution to able the Photos app of Windows 10 to import photos faster. At the same time, I have seen some grayed out folders and it's impossible to get them away. If am correct the app should do that by itself. But no way. I've read...
  9. MS Photos app........

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Photos app........: I have been using the MS Photos app for a long time and I had not seen this issue.......but now after a clean install because of a computer crash the "People" Tab did not show the "Start Tagging" button when I first opened it and I only show a few people that have been...
  10. MS Photos App

MS Photos App: The File Info tab shuts the app down, no error message. Is there a fix? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-photos-app/64c99b77-e285-41ba-9efa-886fece30d2b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

2. looking for new photos and videos freeze

3. windows photos freezes whenlooking for photos on usb

4. why does my photos app freeze when looking for new photos off my device on microsoft 365