Windows 10: "MS removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10!"

Discus and support "MS removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10!" in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; *Shock*Shockaccording to Leo Notenboom (Ask Leo). Any thoughts? 103753 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Taffy078, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Taffy078 Win User

"MS removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10!"

*Shock*Shockaccording to Leo Notenboom (Ask Leo). Any thoughts?

:)

Taffy078, Feb 4, 2018
  2. Taffy087 Win User

Is it true that Microsoft is removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10?

Yes it's true. I've been PM'd elsewhere that Insiders (some? all?) are already testing a version. Bit I totally accept that they cannot comment here.

Has no other experts heard about this? Any idea when it will happen?

Taffy087, Feb 4, 2018
  3. Taffy087 Win User
    Is it true that Microsoft is removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10?

This has been mentioned in several PC guru's blogs recently. As one of the (small minority?) who lost Restore last year, I imagine that Restore would be one of the tools on the chopping block.

Is there any truth in the rumours?

Taffy087, Feb 4, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi. Yes, I understand that Backup & Restore will go away, and MS are recommending people use 3rd-party tools for this function. Many of the members here use Macrium Reflect. It offer a free and paid version.
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

Macrium offers very powerful features, even in its free version.

simrick, Feb 4, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    It has long been known that MS have deprecated their System Image Backup...

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

'Ask Leo's agenda seems to be to 'talk up' sales of his book on 'how to back up', in particular he seems to be pushing EaseUS Todo as the 'solution' to use.

Most here would disagree, recommending Macrium Reflect (free) as the most reliable solution.

Bree, Feb 4, 2018
  6. Word Man Win User
    If OP is talking about this article: https://askleo.com/eight-step-back-p...s-built-tools/ , yeah I see he mentions only EaseUS Todo. Don't know why there's no mention of Macrium as, to be fair, he also has an ebook on using Macrium.

Of course, we have plenty of resources here and at Macrium for understanding its use but I guess you never know what format or presentation a particular person prefers.

Word Man, Feb 4, 2018
  7. Taffy078 Win User
    Thanks for these informative responses. This was from a Best of Ask Leo article and came in an email notification.
    The full article is here
    https://askleo.com/is_an_online_back...uOjn.jLaPCj5bL

I've no idea why the every time I've tried to use the link, it duplicates it (or perhaps that's just how it appear before I post this.

One section is headed "Is an online backup a good idea?" and he says "In my opinion, yes, but only as part of a larger back-up strategy. Start with a periodic full image backup of your computer. "

In the Q&A he was asked if he recommends a particular backup s/w for doing a complete image backup; he said Macrium Reflect and EaseUS Todo.

My PC was trashed by a flawed Fall Creators last October (described by an MSN-badged employee as looking like a test version!) I have Macrium Free but it didn't work - I've only recent found out it's because I didn't install another (shorter) App first, so I'll be getting that resolved soonest.

After having to do a Clean Install, my way forward was because I'd listened to an expert in MSComm who keeps pushing "File History". I've still not found everything as my only process is to install from my USB File History when I realise a file or folder is missing.

In my experience, any article about the various ways to save stuff before/install it after a BSOD must tell users that they have to have a second PC/laptop, otherwise they won't be able to ask for help. I might be wrong though!

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts. Much appreciated.

Taffy078, Feb 4, 2018
  8. vram Win User

Backup and Restore was slow and infuriating to use. They had no intention of improving it, so no problem with it going away.

Wish they would restore Previous Versions, now File History to the way it worked in Windows 7. Adding a feature like Synctoy would also be nice.

vram, Feb 4, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While there are other options - I would tend to think the majority of users on this board use Free Macrium and are very happy with it. If you need extra facilities / features - most really don't -- then the Free version is fine -- and you can also make a bootable version too.

There are other suppliers available but reading the forums a lot I would suggest that Free Macrium is by far the most popular choice for FREE software. The paid version also has a load of useful stuff too but a lot of users here won't need that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2018
  10. simrick Win User
    Agreed. Robocopy is too complicated for many.

simrick, Feb 4, 2018
  11. Taffy078 Win User
    Would anyone here mind if I now pose the same question in Microsoft Community? Obviously I wouldn't refer to/quote from this but I'm interested in comparing the reactions.

Taffy078, Feb 5, 2018
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    My vote would be for Macrium Reflect. Windows backup / restore has never been trust worthy for a very long time. *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 5, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

Easeus Todo is actually a reliable package but is very slow compared with Macrium. It was the only package other than Macrium Reflect of all the main players that could backup and restore my 32bit UEFI tablet. All the others (Aoemi, Windows, Veeam, Paragon, Acronis etc) threw a wobbler with 32Bit UEFI.

cereberus, Feb 5, 2018
  14. pietro Win User
    without opening a new thread... i just discovered that windows 7 backup can't restore a system image from a gpt disk. i always get an error.

pietro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "MS removing some backup tools from future versions of Windows10!" - Similar Threads - removing backup tools

2. MS Malware removal tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Malware removal tool: Hello, On the site "MS Malware removal tool", there is a new tool version 5.87 4 days ago, but the downloaded file is an old version "Windows-KB890830-x64-V5.86.exe". Unreliable site. Where is the new version? Answers will be appreciated. Thanks Motim...
  3. Backup an iPad to Windows10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup an iPad to Windows10?: How do I backup an older iPad to my Windows10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-an-ipad-to-windows10/19e726e4-539c-474e-b749-d6b2cb01c6f7
  4. Windows10 backup now that new version of Money is installed.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows10 backup now that new version of Money is installed.: The last backup I completed has my older version of Money. Will the new backup remove the old version and replace it with the latest one? Or will I loose both?? or what. I need expert help. Thanks, Bob My windows 10 version is 18362.1082 165113
  5. Windows10 backup now that new version of Money is installed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows10 backup now that new version of Money is installed.: The last backup I completed has my older version of Money. Will the new backup remove the old version and replace it with the latest one? Or will I loose both?? or what. I need expert help. Thanks, Bob My windows 10 version is 18362.1082 165113
  6. Windows10 backup issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows10 backup issue: Hello everyone, I just backup one of my clients PC with disk2vhd app. I never checked the backup files if there is a locked one or not. After the backing up i formatted the client pc and setup Windows10 Pro. After formatting and uploading every update i wanted to...
  7. tool from MS Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tool from MS Store: I don't understand this -- I numerous win 10 systems attached to my MS account -- found the new tool in the MS store "Windows File Recovery" and I selected it -- the Store says I own it, but it will not set me install it -- when I tried to get more help I get the...
  8. Shakey future for Windows Backup ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shakey future for Windows Backup ??: 1) How is this reassuring re long-term security of critical/important data? "Important: Backup and Restore is no longer a maintained feature on Windows 10. You can still use it, but in the future, it may stop working. Also, as a deprecated feature, the company can decide to...
  9. windows10 snip tool

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows10 snip tool: Hi, i have problems using the snip tool with copying and pasting it into notepad? It will snip the picture but will not appear into paste mode (paste not highlighted in notepad)? concerned,...
  10. Future version of Windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    Future version of Windows?: I have read many confusing things about the future of Windows. Windows 10 should be the latest version of Windows, with no Windows 11. On the other hand, Microsoft announces the end of mainstream support for Windows 10 for October 13, 2020 and the end of extended support for...