Windows 10: MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

Discus and support MS safety scanner reporting false positive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Every week or so I run the MS Safety Scanner. It always finds the following:virtool:win32?defender/tamper restore. What seems to be really odd is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by arejfour, Jan 9, 2023.

1. arejfour Win User

MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

Every week or so I run the MS Safety Scanner. It always finds the following:virtool:win32?defender/tamper restore. What seems to be really odd is no other security software finds this item. I have installed McAfee Total protection, SuperAnti Spyware, and MalwareBytes. McAfee is real time and the others I run manually a few times a week. I've read some articles about this item and they all report similar issues. Is this a false positive or what? I look forward to your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

:)

arejfour, Jan 9, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How d I report a False Positive to Microsoft?

Hi Peter

You can submit that file for analysis and to report a false Positive using the steps on this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmis...

DaveM121, Jan 9, 2023
  3. Snixtor Win User
    False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Jan 9, 2023
  4. MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

Microsoft Safety Scanner

I stopped using Windows Defender for Windows 10 recently because of the same problem I am now having with MS Safety Scanner. I no longer have the option to decide if I want what has been claimed to be malicious malware to be quarantined or removed. Both
    scans now give me no options, no choices, no more freedom to decide if what they claim is malicious may be a "false positive" and actually harmless. In essence, I am now forced to prevent any type of MS Scanner or Defender from scanning my computer. Sadly,
    I am unable to permanently delete (remove) MS Defender from my computer. So, I have to put another Virus/Malware Scanner as my primary Anti-Virus/Malware Scanner and prevent MS Defender from even doing occasional scans. This is not what I want from Microsoft!

StevenRich100, Jan 9, 2023
Thema:

MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

1. MS safety scanner reporting false positive? - Similar Threads - safety scanner reporting

2. Microsoft Safety Scanner report

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Safety Scanner report: I carried out a full scan of my Windows 10 system using the Full Scan available from the Windows Security/Virus and Threat Protection area. The scan found the threat " PUADIManager:Win32/OfferCore". I then used the Microsoft Safety Scanner version 1.395.1560.0 to scan the...
  3. Microsoft Safety Scanner report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner report: I carried out a full scan of my Windows 10 system using the Full Scan available from the Windows Security/Virus and Threat Protection area. The scan found the threat " PUADIManager:Win32/OfferCore". I then used the Microsoft Safety Scanner version 1.395.1560.0 to scan the...
  4. Microsoft Safety Scanner report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to report FALSE Positive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to report FALSE Positive ?: I have my own application created by me which created 10 year ago, been using it with no issue.but recently Microsoft Defender trigger it as Trojon which is FALSE POSITIVE but as personal MS user, i don't seem like able to FIND way to report FALSE positive.I know i can...
  6. How to report FALSE Positive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to report FALSE Positive ?: I have my own application created by me which created 10 year ago, been using it with no issue.but recently Microsoft Defender trigger it as Trojon which is FALSE POSITIVE but as personal MS user, i don't seem like able to FIND way to report FALSE positive.I know i can...
  7. MS safety scanner reporting false positive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS safety scanner reporting false positive?: Every week or so I run the MS Safety Scanner. It always finds the following:virtool:win32?defender/tamper restore. What seems to be really odd is no other security software finds this item. I have installed McAfee Total protection, SuperAnti Spyware, and MalwareBytes. McAfee...
  8. Microsoft Safety Scanner False positives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Safety Scanner False positives?: I routinely run MS Safety scanner on my win10 machine every weekend.Within 15 minutes of the scan it's reporting that its found between 10-15 files infected files, yet when I come back later after it's done, there are none to report and none have been removed???...
  9. Safety Scanner False Positives?

Safety Scanner False Positives?: I ran the Safety Scanner and as it was running it said that it had found two items. At the end of the scan there was supposed to be a report about those items, but the scan just ended and said that nothing was found. I was curious, so I ran the scan again. The same thing...
  10. MS Defender reports a virus TrojanWin32Fuery.C!cl, may be a false positive

MS Defender reports a virus TrojanWin32Fuery.C!cl, may be a false positive: Hello, Today after logging on and Steam starting it's updates Windows Defender reported a virus, which hasn't happened to me in over 5 years. I researched it and the virus it's reporting is the TrojanWin32Fuery.C!cl. I looked online and this has been reported for the last 4...