Windows 10: "ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10

Discus and support "ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello tenforumers, I have a Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.18363 on a Lenovo Ideapad 720s Since a few weeks, all my "ms-settings:" URI doesn't work: From... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by biroutex, Jan 17, 2020.

1. biroutex Win User

"ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10

Hello tenforumers,

I have a Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.18363 on a Lenovo Ideapad 720s

Since a few weeks, all my "ms-settings:" URI doesn't work:
    • From contextual menu: display, personnalisation-background, etc.
    • From driver updates on Device Manager link's "search windows update"
    • From any "ms-settings:" start command in explorer, cmd, powershell , etc.

BUT, contrary to many similar cases found on the internet, I have access to the settings from the start menu.
    It seems that the generic URI/variable linking "ms-settings" to windows 10 settings menu are missing somewhere giving me some error message like "this file does not have a program associated..." or
    "explorer.exe - application not found" (but explorer.exe is working).
    I really tried many things before posting here: WSReset, SFC, DSIM, Get-AppXPackage, uninstall last Windows update and install it back etc.
    I've done a virus scan, a malware scan, settings restore.
    I created a new account, gave it administrative rights and had no issue on this new account.
    I can copy my files to this new account and delete my original admin account but I really want to understand what's going on and where is this "ms-settings:" variable stored in Windows 10 Pro.

If someone can share some details on how and where is stored the "ms-settings:" URI link in windows, it will be appreciated.

:)

biroutex, Jan 17, 2020
  2. YXQ
    yxq Win User

How to get the friendly name from ms-settings URI in Windows 10

In Windows 10, you can see the Setting items when you open System Settings.
    I want to get the friendly name from a specified URI.
    For example:
    Get "Battery Saver" from the URI "ms-settings:batterysaver-settings"
    Get "Diagnostics & feedback" from "ms-settings"ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10 :privacy-feedback"
    Get "Sync your settings" from "ms-settings:sync"

Please view the names and URIs from link below
    Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10

3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

"ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jan 17, 2020
  4. RickC Win User

Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10

Is there an MS resource (TechNet?) or command (PowerShell?) to show all URIs?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed Settings > Gaming in Win 10 1803 Build 17134.285 shows a TruePlay entry in the left-hand navigation pane but the URI isn't shown in the list above.

As a result my REG file to turn Gaming off in Settings no longer works:

Code:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ; Settings - Gaming entry - Turn OFF  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "SettingsPageVisibility"="hide:gaming-gamebar;gaming-gamedvr;gaming-broadcasting;gaming-gamemode;gaming-xboxnetworking"
    Instead I get this remnant:

"ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I assume I have to add the URI for TruePlay.

RickC, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. "ms-settings:" URI doesn't work in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - settings URI doesn't

2. Windows 11, MS Store doesn't work at all.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, MS Store doesn't work at all.: 1. I cannot install any apps, as doing the same by clicking install button does nothing. 2. Resetting or Re-installing MS Store doesn't fix the issue. 3. Major problem is "I can't connect to xbox online" i.e None of my games work. 4. Its been a while with the same so I cannot...
  3. How to find URI address for a specific settings page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find URI address for a specific settings page: I am searching for the URI address for the 'app volume and device preferences' settings page, so I can create a direct shortcut.Perhaps more importantly, I would like to know how to find this URI information for any given settings page. Searching the web for this information...
  4. How to find URI address for a specific settings page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find URI address for a specific settings page: I am searching for the URI address for the 'app volume and device preferences' settings page, so I can create a direct shortcut.Perhaps more importantly, I would like to know how to find this URI information for any given settings page. Searching the web for this information...
  5. How to find URI address for a specific settings page

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Start menu won't open, ms-settings doesn't work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu won't open, ms-settings doesn't work.: I did a reinstall of Windows today, and everything was working completely fine, then after a restart, my Start menu stopped working, as well as right-clicking on my desktop and clicking Personalize/Display settings, these options also did not work. I also can not right-click...
  7. Settings not opening, ms-settings not working.

Settings not opening, ms-settings not working.: I have not installed any updates since last week and today suddenly the settings are not working. I have tried: sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth And it did nothing, Get-AppXPackage Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  8. How to get the friendly name from ms-settings URI in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get the friendly name from ms-settings URI in Windows 10: In Windows 10, you can see the Setting items when you open System Settings. I want to get the friendly name from a specified URI. For example: Get "Battery Saver" from the URI "ms-settings:batterysaver-settings" Get "Diagnostics & feedback" from "ms-settings:privacy-feedback"...
  9. Windows 10 Settings > Personalization doesn't work at all.

Windows 10 Settings > Personalization doesn't work at all.: Hello, I am using the latest Windows 10 on my PC and I have an issue on trying to open my Personalization setting since last month to change my background, but it wouldn't let me access it. I have run a PowerShell log as an Admin by reading another thread that was having...
  10. Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10: How to: Settings Pages List of URI Shortcuts in Windows 10 List of Shortcuts to Directly Open Pages in Settings in Windows 10 The Control Panel. Almost every Settings page has its own URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) that allows you to open any Setting page directly...