Windows 10: MS store license problems after hardware upgrade

Discus and support MS store license problems after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi im having tons of trouble with windows after installing a new motherboard. Windows would not activate with my old key at all, so I bought a new one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by caveman80, Aug 31, 2019.

1. caveman80 Win User

MS store license problems after hardware upgrade

Hi im having tons of trouble with windows after installing a new motherboard. Windows would not activate with my old key at all, so I bought a new one spent an hour last night on the phone with MS trying to activate my new product key and finally did. Problem today is I cant install any non microsoft apps from the store. Cinebench, Netflix, Twitter etc... It gets stuck at activation and gives me error 0xC0EA000A. I have tried the store reset and I dont know what else to do. I have alot of games downloaded so I would rather not reinstall windows.

:)

caveman80, Aug 31, 2019

2. SOLVED: Reactivating W10 license of an "Upgraded" W7 Retail licensed systems after a major hardware change

Hi folks,

the scenario above has been widely posted here. I also had the problem. I could solve it with help from gregrocker. Let me share my experience with you.

First some basics:

The scope of the old license is taken over by the upgrade process. These three types of licenses are mostly used:

• Retail licenses: the customer buys them at a store and receives the binaries and a license key. The usage rights are licensed to the buyer and entitles him to install and use the product on
      one device. The buyer can transfer the product to another device. During this process, MS sees new hardware and deactivates the license. It can simply be reactivated by entering the license key again.
    • System Builder (also called OEM) licenses are intentionally sold to people who build PCs an sell them bundled with Windows. The license is coupled to the hardware it is installed first. The license documentation doesn't say anything about broken hardware.
      I have no information how hardware changes can be handled by the system builder. He has one specific license key for each PC he sells and he has to affix a license sticker at each device, too. I believe that the user of such systems cannot simply reactivate
      its license after a hardware change.
    • "Bundled" PCs (the standard case I presume) carry "system builder" licenses may be in different flavors according to the size of the vendor.
    So for System Builder licenses the vendor or "builder" of the box has tools to handle such cases. MS offers system builder tools for installations to buyers of a each system builder license as part of the license contract text.

The problem to handle after an automatic upgrade to W10 is, that also retail licenses don't have a license key that is marked as "portable license". But fortunately Gabe Aul, the Windows VP at Microsoft has publicly committed licenses blocked by hardware
    changes can be reactivated by MS Support.

This is what I have done to get an activated Windows 10 after a major hardware change:

• On my "deactivated" machine I opened the "Contact Microsoft Support" app. You need a Microsoft account to sign in to this app.
    • I opened the "Chat ..." alternative. After a few seconds a technician answered.
    • I wrote my complain and was requested to send some details like the deactivation code, my name and the like. The technician was well aware of the problem. I insisted that I was upgraded from a retail W7 license and the Gabe Aul has committed handling hardware
      changes by MS support.
    • The technician told me that she was not allowed to handle such a case but she will elevate/escalate my claim to second level support.
    • We settled a date and a time span for a call-back of second-level support.
    • Precisely at the settled time, an engineer
      from MS called and we started to fix the problem. She ask me to allow her to take over my desktop and after a few checks to present to her my W7 license key.
    • She asked for a little time and after 5 minutes she was back and installed me a new license key. The new key was generated by her manager, she told me.
    Now I'm activated again and I have a retail license key for W10 in my hands.

I hope this helps a little. Comments are very welcome.

Jörg Debus, Aug 31, 2019
  3. trparky Win User
    Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Aug 31, 2019
  4. gatorback Win User

How does a Windows 10 'digital license' activate the OS?

source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Does MS digital license 'fingerprint' hardware information during the free upgrade / activation and store it (at Microsoft) , so that the next re-install queries MS for the fingerprint and activates Windows 10?

Thought the disk drive may change, I expect that none of the other fingerprinted hardware will change.

gatorback, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

1. MS store license problems after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - store license problems

2. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade: HiWe keep a spare licensed and activated Windows PC which we use for upgrading hardware. To make the new device compatible with windows 11 we had to install windows 10 onto a new hard disk with the previously activated windows 10 hard drive as the D: drive. So we always have...
  3. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade: HiWe keep a spare licensed and activated Windows PC which we use for upgrading hardware. To make the new device compatible with windows 11 we had to install windows 10 onto a new hard disk with the previously activated windows 10 hard drive as the D: drive. So we always have...
  4. Problems Activating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keep windows license after laptop hardware upgrade

Keep windows license after laptop hardware upgrade: Hello guys, Good day! I have a laptop with Windows 10. Due to hardware issues, I need to replace my hard disk with SSD. Is it possible to keep the license? What do I need to do? As far as I know, Windows automatically activates on the same hardware even when reformated....
  6. MS Store will not detect hardware.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS Store will not detect hardware.: MS Store will not detect my hardware, searches take far too long to return results, wsreset.exe does not work. This has been a reported issue since 2018. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. MS Store problem

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS Store problem: Hello, I recently bought Game pass mainly for new MC Dungeonds release. However when I go to the game page I can't download it on my PC I can only download it on the second PC, where I have MS account linked. Also my main PC uses a MSI mobo, not the Gigabyte one.[ATTACH]...
  8. MS store license problems after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS store license problems after hardware upgrade: Hi im having tons of trouble with windows after installing a new motherboard. Windows would not activate with my old key at all, so I bought a new one spent an hour last night on the phone with MS trying to activate my new product key and finally did. Problem today is I cant...
  9. problems after a hardware upgrade

problems after a hardware upgrade: so, I had just updated some hardware, and now, my windows is no longer active, i tried to activate it, and it wont let me connect to the device that the old activation key was affiliated with. to make it worse, when trying to get into my account to change info, it locked me...
  10. Hardware Problems after upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Problems after upgrading to Windows 10?: Okay, I'm not sure if these are Windows 10 problems or not, but I just upgraded maybe 10 days ago and am having 2 hardware problems. I know for sure 1 was not occurring immediately. I cannot remember 100% if #2 problem occurred immediately after upgrading or if it started...