Windows 10: MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore?

Discus and support MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore? in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Over the past year I have had to fully rebuild my system twice due to installing some software that caused issues that could not be removed fully.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by ph0b0s123, Jul 19, 2020.

1. ph0b0s123 Win User

MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore?

Over the past year I have had to fully rebuild my system twice due to installing some software that caused issues that could not be removed fully. These were rebuilds that did not need to happen, as normally the issue would be resolved by using system restore to restore before the problematic software was installed. In both these cases though system restore did not function and failed to restore to a previous point.

After my latest rebuild and disappointment with system restore, I decided to investigate further, by checking when during the rebuild, system restore might fail, i.e is it based on something I am installing.

After a bunch of testing I found that system restore only has the issue when I have some games installed via the MS store. The only two games I have purchased on the store and last two after discovering this, are Forza 7 and Gears Of War 4. Any restore points from when either of these games are installed result in the following error messages when a system restore is attempted. The first is when the attempt is made in Windows, the second when the attempt is made in the recovery environment.

Pic1

Pic2

The way to make system restore works again, is to make sure that the the games are not present in either the point you are restoring to or from. So once I de-installed the games and make a new restore point, that restore point can be restored to without issue.

From research on the internet this appears to be a common problem at least the error messages, with system restore not just with these particular games. Where this is discussed there are suggestions like renaming or deleting the progamdata directory, which appears to be where MS Store stores the software you have procured from there. In my case none of these solutions worked and these are also just a sticky plaster on the main issue which is that a core component of Windows 10 is not compatible with the MS Store. I cannot say if this is a windows 10 only issue and could well affect windows 8.1 as well, for all I know.

Now I cannot say for sure, but I assume the issue is with how stuff from the windows store is encrypted to prevent privacy and that system restore cannot deal with that. Also I don't believe this is an issue with these particular games themselves as they are MS first party titles, rather than el random games and they will be adhering to requirements of publishing their titles on the store, rather than going off the reservation and doing something themselves.

So I wanted to ask, if this is a known issue, as it seems like it should be a big one, is it being worked on, are others having to same issues with MS store purchased premium software. Is there a warning somewhere I have missed on the store that says that software from there may break system restore. Is it not necessary and issue with the store but that the software is in the coded in UWP?

In the meant time I am looking though cloning software to clone my install, since MS's own services seem to be breaking their own restore system.

:)

ph0b0s123, Jul 19, 2020

2. premium gaming account

Hi Kathryn,

There a corrupted profile is one of the possible reasons why you are seeing ads before playing games even your profile has a subscription or a premium account. To help you resolve this concern, I need to gather more details. Kindly answer the questions below:

• When did the issue start?
    • Are you experiencing this concern with all of your games?
    • Have you made any changes on your computer prior to this concern?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected game?

In the meantime, I suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps below:

Step 1: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps using the link below. This can help remove problems with an app from Microsoft Store.

Click here

Step 2: Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store. Kindly click the link below to proceed:

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 3: Delete Temporary files. This will help delete temporary files that have been stored on your computer.

1. Click Start and click Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Select Storage.
    4. Select This PC.
    5. Click Temporary files.
    6. Choose Temporary files.
    7. Click Remove files.

Step 4: Reset the game from the Settings menu.

1. Click Start and click Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Select Apps and features.
    4. Find the game and click Advanced options.
    5. Click Reset. You need to restart your computer to let the changes take effect.

Kindly update us with the results, so that we can assist you further.

Wilfred Mac, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) New In-Game Purchases Label

Source: Parental Tools

See also PDF: https://esrbstorage.blob.core.window...inal-22718.pdf

Brink, Jul 19, 2020
  4. MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore?

MS Store Games

Hi Gene,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

When you download a Game or an App from Windows Store, the location where the files and folders related to the Game or an App will be located in
    WindowsApps folder at Program Files which can be accessed from C: drive.

Step 1: You can search the Game or an App you downloaded using
    Cortana by following the steps below:

• Click on Start key on the Keyboard and type the game name in the search box. The downloaded game will show in the top most search result.
    • Click on the game and check if you can access the game.

Step 2: To pin the game on the taskbar, follow the steps below:

• Search for the game using Cortana by following the steps above.
    • Right click on the game and select Pin to Taskbar option.
    • Close the window and check if the game is pinned to taskbar.

We are happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore?

1. MS Store purchased AAA games / premium software breaks Windows system restore? - Similar Threads - Store purchased AAA

2. Anime purchased through MS Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anime purchased through MS Store: Team, With the merger of funimation and crunchyroll what will happen to the anime library I've purchased over the past years? As funimation is ending its digital forever catalog will MS be refunding all purchases at their full purchase price or will the anime anime be...
  3. Anime purchased through MS Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anime purchased through MS Store: Team, With the merger of funimation and crunchyroll what will happen to the anime library I've purchased over the past years? As funimation is ending its digital forever catalog will MS be refunding all purchases at their full purchase price or will the anime anime be...
  4. Help with MS Store purchased APP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with MS Store purchased APP: After multiple times loading and resetting Windows 11, because I DO NOT/DID NOT!! want Microsoft OneDrive, I finally just created a new MS account and put a "cancel" on my old one. I had purchased PhotoScape X Pro recently from the MS Store when I was on the screwed up old MS...
  5. Purchasing roblox premium

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Purchasing roblox premium: Hi, I bought a 5€ gift card with 4650 points in Microsoft Rewards. I wanted to buy a roblox premiumship for 1 month with the gift card, but when I go to the app and click to buy, it doesn't show me the option to use my microsoft balance. Does anyone know how can I buy it...
  6. Restoring a purchased game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring a purchased game: Hi, I purchased tabs on 29th Jan and I have had to format the computer, I have tried to reinstall the game but it just asks me to buy it again. How do I redownload a purchase? Thanks in advance...
  7. Restoring MS Store Purchses

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring MS Store Purchses: Hello Team, this is MS Windows 10 pro How can I restore a purchase on MS Store Personal finance App after getting my new laptop. The old laptop however never been backed up and not available to me any more. I have logged on to MS Store using the same account and when I...
  8. aaa

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    aaa: aaasasdx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aaa/f8af3218-6d4d-4d27-a501-49c3f729d21a
  9. Microsoft store restore purchase

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store restore purchase: i redeemed a code for a game a long time ago and recently i have re-installed windows on my computer. when i go to the microsoft store it says i have to buy or redeem a code again. how do i get it back?...
  10. OneDrive breaking Windows 10 System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive breaking Windows 10 System Restore: Has this serious bug that's been around since at least September been addressed in any updates? I haven't tried using a restore point since Version 1809 was released, but not being able to use System Restore is bad news....